Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Please add voice command

we can use voice instead of typing or using mouses

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a feature to remove duplicated words while typing.

Like spelling correction, add option to automatically remove duplicated words while typing

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. product activation failed

why my Microsoft become activation failed while in using?
    how can I do?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Restore right click picture menu in Word 2016

Hi,
    In new Word 2016 whenever you right click on picture you will get menu with two top options Style and Crop which are not of frequent use. Can anybody tell me how to customise or bring back so that instead there will be resize menu as was in previous versions in my case 2010?
    Thank you in advance!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. TIRED OF BEING ABUSED BY MICROSOFT

I HAVE PURCHASED WINDOW OFFICE 2007. NOW I CANNOT OPEN DOCUMENTS, PDF, , PICTURES!! I NEED TO OPEN LEGAL DOCUMENTS ASAP!!!. MORE OVER, SINCE I PURCHASED THE VIDEO PLAYER I CANNOT SAVE ANY DOCUMENT IN ANY DISC!!! YOUR ARE THE WORST SCAMMERS IN THE WORLD!!!
    YOU ARE ABUSERS, ALWAYS HUNGRY FOR MONEY AND NEVER THINKING OF PROVIDING OUTSTANDING FREE SERVICE.
    AND THEN YOU HAVE FAKE TECHS WITH YOUR NAME AND YOUR LOGO, CHARGING UNREASONABLE MONEY TRO FIX PROBLEMS YOU CREATE TO MAKE MORE MONEY.
    MICORSOFT DOESN'T HAVE A THREAD OF HONESTY, DECENCY OR ETHICS. MUST BE THE BILL GATES WAY…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Inserting Pen objects

In OneNote, I write some handwritten text with a pen on a tablet. On the desktop I want to copy this text into a Word file (e.g. solution to a Math problem). For short texts it works fine, but if the text is longer then Word inserts page breaks (somewhat arbitrary inside the text).

Most of the time the scaling of the inserted object is not correct (the inserted objects appear way too big), but because Word split up my selection into many different parts, I need to change the scaling of each part individually.

Because the width of parts…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. button for updating all fields in the entire document

You can have fields on several places: header, footer, body, text boxes etc. If you use CTRL + A and F9 to update all your fields, you will only update the fields in the body, not in header/footer and text boxes.

At the moment there is one work around: select 'file -> options -> display -> update fields before printing'. Next, whenever you do 'file -> export -> create PDF/XPS' and save it somewhere in a temporary directory, all fields (including header/footer and text boxes) are updated.

I was told this last step was not necessary and clicking 'print preview'…

203 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keep paragraph borders within text margins

To keep maximum space for text (including borders) for non-expert use of Word you set the page margins to the maximum width allowed by the printer to be used.

BUG: This does not work for paragraph borders as the L & R borders are outside the margins, so will not print, even with zero spacing.
    The default for paragraph borders (as for tables and character borders) should be that the paragraph width (including any border) is the margin-to-margin width.
    My context is as a printer, I can state the minimum margin to a client. They can then set their margins…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add emoji

i thnk youshould add some emojis

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Option to Cite Theses APA Style

Under the Citation & Bibliography Group under References menu the following, an entry under the Manage Source option to include Theses. The elements to include using the APA style are:

1. Author: Doaa H. Rashed
    2. Date: 2008
    3. Title of doctoral dissertation or master’s thesis: A case study of international ESL learners’ perceptions of technology use in English language learning
    4. Form of work: master’s thesis
    5. Name of database: ProQuest Dissertations and Theses
    6. Accession or order number: UMI 1456443

Examples:

Rashed, D.H. (2008). A case study of international ESL learners’ perceptions of technology use in English language learning (master’s thesis). Retrieved from ProQuest…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Grammar & Style checker removed from 2016

After upgrading to Office 2026 after a year of expensive problems with 2013 ... I find the most vital function missing .grammar and style checker ... what a waste of money this product is and you do not warn us it is not included before we buy it ... I am a professional editor and writer ... I have spent days trying to get support for my waste of money on your product so I am now going to post this to my 91,000+ fans worldwide on Facebook a warning about this ... You knew this was a problem almost…

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We value users’ feedback, and are pleased to announce that we’re planning to enable the style options in Grammar checking for Office 2016 users this winter – stay tuned for updates on availability. The Editor feature, which includes new style options and other ongoing enhancements to the experience, will continue to be exclusively offered through an Office 365 subscription.

12. File snapshots (manual versioning)

I would like the ability to create and name manual versions of a file and be able to browse and restore these. Eg if I want to restructure a document I could save a snapshot so that if I want to I can revert back to this. File versioning is ok but I have to remember the date, I can't label file versions.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. stop making personal folders and documents as "read only"

stop making personal folders and documents as "read only" - they are my documents and press releases.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow users to set preferred bullet format (indent and type)

MS Word has a default bullet indentation. I do not like it. I always change it to my preferred style. However, every time I paste new text into a bullet list, the new bullet goes back to Word's old default style. This just drives me crazy. Why not allow the user to set their own preferred bullet type and indentation? Also, when you change the line spacing between bullets, why-in-the-world is Word's default a ticked box that says "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style"? In other words, why is your default set to NOT do what I…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. sepperate the 32 / 64 bit install applications. or make the 32bit 64 bit sepperated.

seperate the 32 / 64 bit install applications. or make the 32bit 64 bit separate and not in the same damn check box/drop down menu thingy.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Strikethrough shortcut

It would be really helpful to have a keyboard shortcut for "strikethrough", much like in OneNote. It's frequently used, and would save lots of time. Thanks!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Equation editor shortcut help

Many of the symbols in equation editor show their shortcut when you hover over them. For example, hovering over the alpha character displays "Alpha ( \alpha )". Please put similar shortcut help for all operations that have them. For example, hovering over the underbar should display "Underbar ( \ubar )". These shortcuts are extremely helpful, but not all of them are discoverable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop Automatically Generating Alternate Text for Pasted Images

When pasting an image into a Word document, the file URL should not be used as alternate text automatically. In the technical writing field, alternate text file paths do not aid accessibility and they create issues for users who have a lot of pictures in their documents.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. There should be a trouble shooter for MS WORD when things like a dll file is dropped and what to do about it.

When opening WORD when it freezes, a trouble shooter should be able to analyze the problem and suggest possible solutions. Or when there is a conflict with another program like Dragon Speak, etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Integrated Editing Content "Buckets" for easy in document editing

I was editing a large document the other day and wanted to move portions of the document around. I wasn't sure what I was keeping and where I wanted to put it. I could open another copy of the document to cut and paste sections into it for "holding" purposes, but even with two screens, I find that cumbersome. Another way is where I move the pieces to the back of the document, but when the documents are so large, it again is cumbersome. Here is my suggestion. It would be very helpful if while editing a document, I could…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base