Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Modern chart types should be exported as vector graphics in PDF

When using the modern chart types (histogram, box and whisker, ...) the chart is exported as a bitmap image when saving as a PDF.
    Only the old chart types (bar, pie, ...) are saved in a vector format when exporting as PDF.

Please see this thread for more infos and images:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/modern-charts-are-pixelated-after-pdf-export-how/fd901c49-94a8-42eb-b80c-bab3ef3f4a04

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Spellcheck Alternative Text

Please add the ability to spellcheck Alt Text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Word status bar

In a recent update, the behavior of my Word status bar was changed. The font got bigger, but the field size did not, so now the text is being cut off. For example, instead of "Page 120 of 295", now I can only see "Page 120 of 29". How to fix this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. HEY MICROSOFT- STOP HIDING THE_FUCKING_SCROLL LOCATION BAR.

HEY MICROSOFT- STOP HIDING THE_FUCKING_SCROLL LOCATION BAR.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Can Microsoft release barcode fonts like 3 of 9 Barcode within Word Application for Windows 10.

Can Microsoft release barcode fonts like 3 of 9 Barcode within Word Application for Windows 10.

The free version barcode does not work on Windows 10, while on Windows 7 it works well.
    I understand that this is free font therefore is it out of support. However is it possible that Microsoft can develop certain barcode fonts as code-39-3 fonts does. Thank you.
    https://www.inflowinventory.com/blog/free-barcode-font-code-39-3-of-9/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Close with item in clipboard

When I close Word I often get asked if I want to save something on the clipboard which will take extra time (or something like that). Modern computers are fast enough that it doesn't really take any extra time, but what does take time is forcing me to click yes in the option box. How about getting rid of that option so things will close faster?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. please Add Black theme in office 2016 & 2019

please Add Black theme in office 2016 & 2019

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Autocorrect

I would like to have an Autocorrect option in the right-click menu, when proofreading a document. That way, a user can quickly add the desired word/usage to Autocorrect. Previous versions of Word had that option, but in Windows 10 it has mysteriously been dropped. This omission makes the Autocorrect feature less useful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Do not re-enable disabled features with updates.

Monthly Microsoft Office Updates! It's time again for "guess which settings Microsoft has changed without asking".

This time they've decided that I couldn't possibly have intended to disable the spelling and grammar checkers.

So, yet again, now I have had to hunt down and disable; 1) check spelling as you type, 2) mark grammar errors as you type, 3) check grammar with spelling, 4) mark "frequently confused words", 5) six autocorrect options, 6) eleven autoformat-as-you-type options, 7) and twelve autoformat options. Did I mention again? I have turned off all these options at least five times.

I have superb spelling,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When I turn a feature off, please do not turn it back on during updates.

Monthly Microsoft Office Updates! It's time again for "guess which settings Microsoft has changed without asking".

This time they've decided that I couldn't possibly have intended to disable the spelling and grammar checkers.

So, yet again, now I have had to hunt down and disable; 1) check spelling as you type, 2) mark grammar errors as you type, 3) check grammar with spelling, 4) mark "frequently confused words", 5) six autocorrect options, 6) eleven autoformat-as-you-type options, 7) and twelve autoformat options. Did I mention again? I have turned off all these options at least five times.

I have superb spelling,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Quick-function for comparison between original and automatically recreated documents

I would like a quick-function for comparison between the original document and the ones which Office has automatically recreated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Improved Dark Mode on Page

Dark Mode in Word is off to a great start since it was introduced, but it could be even more better, if the page that users are currently typing could also be darkened as well, as you are still staring at a white page. A feature in Outlooks enables users to preview their messages against a white background, without having to change their main settings. This feature can be imported to Word (and possibly other Office products as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. copy contact name automatically to the notes field

in outlook when you insert a new contact, it should be automatically copied to the notes filed. When you are a heavy user some time by mistake, you can inset a new name on top of an old one. once you saved it, you can not find anymore the original contact. If there is a copy of the name in the notes field, always you will find this contact even if you change the name in the contact box.
    What I do, when I add a new contact, I copy the name manually to the notes I add also a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. formatting text: overlined

In some cases (especially in computer science) it would be necessary to overline text. In older versions that was possible. Now you have to draw a line.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve print preview

The print preview should update for any change I make. Right now notably it doesn't reflect changes to the print range or multiple pages per sheet. I should be able to exactly what it'll look like before I print and waste paper. Acrobat does this and I think Word used to long ago.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Key words tracker and counter

Key words tracker and counter. When applying for jobs applicants look for key words in the job descriptions/requirements. We then modify our resume and cover letters to ensure those words/phrases are reflected in our content. We should be able to enter a list of key words/phrases and then track/count how often each is used in our documents. Hi-lite them temporarily as an indicator as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The area off of the page could be used for notes.

When writing sometimes I have ideas or notes that I want to remain in the frame. would be nice to use the extra space for notes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. spelling

You need to restore the previous spell-checker: the overly-involved editor is a headache we neither asked for nor need. See (and it is not my fault the URL is horrible): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-mso_365hp/how-to-enable-old-style-spell-checking-in-word/671f6094-7b3f-4c5b-9a69-684db9dd7be2?messageId=8d8f1653-059c-4129-94dd-a62499b906be

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Word 2016 fix the bug in the pdf/A export filter confirmed by professional support

we must deliver word documents to an authority in pdf/a format. Our documents are successfully converted with Office 2010. Doing that with Office2016 leads to an pdf that is not conform to the standard. You an check this with the verapdf.com Tool. The authority validates the document's format and rejects it. MS professional support confirms that this is an error in Office 2013 and Office 2016. Ticket SR 118101119211952 Emilio Jose Piñeiro Lameiro helped me with this Ticket and allowed me to name him. Please correct this bug in Office 2016.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Re-instate the OOXML errors showing the part & line number - missing in Word 2016 and 2019

In Word 2010, if there is an error in the OOXML when you try to open a file there is a detailed error message showing the part and line number. To find the error location you just need to "pretty print" the XML part and try to open the file. For example, this OOXML when trying to open in Word 2010 provides the message "Ambiguous cell mapping encountered..." and "Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line: 18, Column:0"

<w:tbl>
    <w:tblPr>
    <w:tblStyle w:val="TableGrid"/>
    <w:tblW w:w="0" w:type="auto"/>
    <w:tblLook w:val="04A0" w:firstRow="1" w:lastRow="0" w:firstColumn="1" w:lastColumn="0" w:noHBand="0" w:noVBand="1"/>
    </w:tblPr>
    <w:tblGrid>
    <w:gridCol w:w="9350"/>
    </w:tblGrid>
    <w:tr w:rsidR="00E74273" w14:paraId="5A4C4338" w14:textId="77777777" w:rsidTr="00E74273"> …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base