Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. stop hiding the ******* scroll position bar on the right of the document when the pointer is off the document.

stop hiding the fuckingdocumentposition_bar on the right of the document when the pointer is off the document.

-YOU-MICROSOFT--****** FOR PUTTING THIS SHITWARE "FEATURE" IN.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Word - Closing the program always shows backstage

Backstage settings are not obeyed by MS Word when you close the program.
    In MS Excel the settings are obeyed.
    Save and Open dialog working as expected in both programs.
    Release 2007 - Build 13029.20344 CTR

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove search bar from the title bar; put it back down with the content

The search bar has recently been moved to the title bar. It is in the way, makes it more difficult to manage multiple windows, and feels very out of place. Please put it back down near the content being searched; the title bar needs to remain relatively free of clutter so that one can quickly grab it and move the window, double-click maximize with it, see the document name, etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Make APA version 7 available for in-text citations and reference sections in word

I need APA version 7 in word to use otherwise I have to fiddle with endnote for hours, I like the ease of using word built-in citations - unfortunately, they are wrong and don't comply with my department's regulations as they said I need to use the most recent version of the APA referencing style. Please can you include the updated version of APA referencing in the next update/patch?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Wrong APA Edition Template - Add 7th Edition!

You have the incorrect template edition on Word. It's still 2010 version - 6th Edition. The newest edition was released at the end of 2019. The 7th Edition is for students and has no running header and no abstract, as well as the topic matter being left aligned and not centered.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Dark Mode in Word.

In my opinion there should be a dark mode or night mode in Microsoft Products also.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add 'Allow the following words to start with lowercase letters at the beginning of a sentence' in Office applications

Many 'cool' brands these days use names that don't use capital letters at the beginning of the word. Please add an option to 'Allow the following words to start with lowercase letters at the beginning of a sentence' in Office applications so that they don't have to be repeatedly corrected over, and over, and over again.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pasting pictures is a nightmare

Why can't I just put the picture where I want? This is so easy on powerpoint. Word is IMPOSSIBLE. It jacks up my formatting every single time and my cursor gets lost every time

1) Have an option to paste picture similar to powerpoint
    2) If I double click somewhere, THAT'S WERE THE CURSOR SHOULD BE....

AHHHHHHH - I have wasted SO much of my life battling format. Every major paper I wrote in college took twice as long (LITERALLY) because formatting in word sucked

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make lined documents function properly so you can write between the lines.

Currently, when you write in lines, after pressing space the text goes above the line. Causing the lines to break.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Phonetic Speech function for Read Aloud pronunciations

Just like there is an autocorrect for spelling, could you create an autocorrect feature where writers can associate uncommon words to their phonetic spelling.

Example: I am writing a novel with a character named Merewen Brus.

Merewen is meant to be pronounced as "Mare-win."

Brus is an old spelling for the name "Bruce."
    Oddly, Read Aloud pronounces "Bruce" as "bruise" instead of "Broos."

I would recommend the Phonetic Speech feature be case sensitive, because many authors shorten character names, like Jonathan to Jon or John.

In my case, Merewen is often called "Mere", intended to be pronounced as "Mare" instead…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Stop warning whenever any Building Block is used

Since Version 1908 whenever a building block is used or the Building Block Organizer is accessed this loads Building Blocks.dotx and changes the saved state to false. This triggers a warning message when leaving Word asking whether the user wants to save changes to Building Blocks.dotx, even when there have been no changes.

See this thread in the Answers forum.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/using-any-building-block-triggers-warning-message/08f7f98a-e23b-4c70-b166-e6954063b484

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. More Targeted Help (?) in Word Dialog Boxes

I have a suggestion to Microsoft Office (in this case Word) developers regarding getting specific help from dialog boxes that display a '?' symbol. For example, the Word Options > Advanced > Settings dialog box is shown below.

When I click on the '?' symbol, I expect to get help information specific to the items in that dialog box, but instead it opens a link in the browser (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/top-help-topics-641ee4c4-a616-45dd-b7da-4cb03c12ad6e?ns=winword&version=90&syslcid=1033&uilcid=1033&appver=zwd900&helpid=567&ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us) to some general help topics. It just seems it would make more sense and be more "user friendly" (do we still use that phrase?) if help topics germane…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. remove title from word count

Be able to exclude the Title from a word count

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Invoice Templates in Word

Invoice templates are unable to be applied in Word.

When accessing Word > File > New > search for Invoice in Templates search box, I cannot use the Service Invoice Green Gradient Template or the Sales Invoice Template. After I choose "Create", a new file with Instruction to use Word just appears and the template is nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, other templates are still being applied normally. The template is very important for my work.

Please check and get this fixed asap.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The ONLY place I want my documents saved is in my docs on THIS PC. I do not want ONEDRIVE at all. Remove that option!

I DO NOT WANT TO USE ONEDRIVE AT ALL!!! The only place I want to save docs is on THIS PC. Please remove the ONEDRIVE option!!! Let me make the DEFAULT PLACE TO SAVE "THIS PC"!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create a Do Not Disturb sign for temporarily disabling pop up notifications of emails. Writers are so easily distracted and those messages a

Create a Do Not Disturb sign for temporarily disabling pop up notifications of emails. Writers are so easily distracted and those messages are just an invitation to get us to look at something we shouldn't while we're working. Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Offer a grammatical correction for direct quotes in writing a book.

My life as an author would be much easier if Word would highlight it as an error when I miss the punctuation or capitalization needed for a proper direct quote from a character - for example: Tabbie said, "This needs to be fixed, please." The first letter in the first sentence of a direct quote should always be capitalized, no matter where the word falls in the sentence, but Word does not look for this. It's endlessly frustrating at times!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PUT IT BACK !!!!!

WT(absolute)F !!!
    Why have you removed the Comment bubble's numbering system - having it only available if you print the document or use print preview is no good to people who actually use the document!!!
    If you have put the number on the printed version and the print preview version, why can you not just put it back on the actual working version??

Do you not have discussions with people who actually use the programme (like word processing operators) before you remove a function that has always been there !

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base