Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. A True Dark Theme

Microsoft has done a good job creating a nice dark theme for Windows 10, but the Dark Grey and Black themes in Office are just bad. They change a few elements but leave so much blinding white that it hurts my eyes. The icons get lost as well. Please make a true dark theme for Office. Also a dark colorful app would be great.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Stop Word printing blank pages!

When you hit print word looks at final page/s, if blank , only pages with text are printed. Would save paper, especially if numbered as they can't be easily recycled and would save electricity. Might help save the planet a tiny bit?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New Add-on tool

Actually for a long time upto office 365, many of us unaware of deleting pages in word, so there should be option to delete pages easily.even normal delete key on keyboard doesn't work.....i hope we'll get it and understand our's need and ease.it is quite irritating to delete pages upto current version of word.thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Fix formatting for numbered list as first column of a table

When creating a table that is an ordered list it is convenient to use the numbered list feature. Using "AutoFit to contents" messes up the formatting due to the indentation. "Outdenting" the content and doing "autofit to contents" makes the first column much too small and cuts off the terminal period of the list number.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Replace more than 3 authors with et al. in bibliography using IEEE style

If a journal has more than 3 authors, when using the IEEE style please format the bibliography entry so that it only lists the first author (in alphabetical order) and et al. instead of listing all the authors, e.g. "J. Smith et al.".
    The et al. should be italicised.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. You should add a gif insert tab

There should be a tab or gif's in the insert.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ribbonhero 3

You know what I miss? Ribbonhero…and Clippy's second chance.
    I know I shouldn't, but I liked that game. And it made me kinda like Clippy. It made me better at doing my job quickly. I played it a lot for Excel and Word. Now there's a lot of Excel stuff that is hard to get a handle on, especially for PivotTables and all the stuff for data science and analysis. Reading it in a book is terrible, the YouTube videos are awful, and the tutorials are a snore, and just...yeah, I think a game for those would be really, really…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hey, maybe a way to enter an activation key? would love that

like the window that's suppose to pop up in the instructions on the site actually pop up. would love that

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. can i have some pickles

picklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespicklespickles

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. give me money

i take cash

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Current Document location

As in the past, please include a screen-visible field to show the user where the current field is stored. Currently it states: Saved to this PC - but my question is WHERE? This would be very helpful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. The "New Version on Server" message is confusing to those used to Track Changes verbiage

Several users familiar with Track Changes functionality in MS Word (all versions) are having trouble with the wording of the "A newer version of the file is available on the server" "Discard Changes" button when opening a file from Teams

At issue is the expected behavior of a Word document and the resolution of warning messages.

Our researchers will verify that the latest version of the file in question is available on Teams via Word Online and then open the file in Word (Open in Word) using the Teams interface.

When the file opens, whether in Word 2016 or Word…

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. User-selected default document style - No Spacing

Allow users to EASILY set default document style that follows them across devices. I have never liked "Normal" format for documents and have to change it to "No Spacing" EVERY time I start a document. I If there is a way to set that preference, I haven't found it yet so make it easier to find. Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove the "Passive voice" Grammar rule entirely (or at least make it removable) -

I have just spent an hour removing 100+ instances of "Passive wording" from a standard technical report. The rule is not useful OR accurate withion a technical environment. There are a large number of "Grammar rules" which get it wrong or are only accurate in the US of A, and no other English speaking nation on Earth.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. diffrent languages

you should add a font type for every language

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow us to stretch brackets bigger than the text

I've entered the following in equation editor

[-e^(-t) (t^3+3t^2+6t+6)]_(-1)^0

The square brackets are not big (that is, tall) enough for my liking. I've tried changing to Professional mode. I tried "Increase Argument Size" on both the 0 and -1. Nothing makes the square brackets bigger.

See this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msoother-mso_2010/can-i-make-equation-editor-brackets-bigger/6255813b-1b15-4fee-8845-64791723223e?tm=1570981981263

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add verbal comments in the Review Tab

I would love to be able to record verbal comments on Word documents. When inserting a comment, it would be nice to have the option to choose whether to type or record the comment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Access all equations in a document together

Hello, would it be possible to tag/bookmark all the equations in a document so that they can all be accessed together serially (like we currently can do with bookmarked and formatted headings styles in the left window)?
    It would make formatting of equations easier (especially numbering/ordering).

Best,
    Aditi

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add *.epub format for save as option in MS Office 2019

I would like to see an EPUB file format choice in saving documents in Word, Excel & PowerPoint. I think it would be a great addition to MS Office 2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base