Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Automatically create a full page table

When creating a new table, I need an option to automatically fill the page with rows.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More Highlighting Options

I would LOVE some more highlighter colors, especially some pastels. The bright neons make it difficult to read and I don't understand why we don't have a wider range of selection like we do for fonts.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Make it possible for spell-checking to ignore words with initial capital letters

Sometimes I have texts with lots of relatively exotic names in them, and it would be useful to have the spellchecker (or editor) ignore them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Change the normal font

Change the preset Normal font, which is set at Calibri Size 1o, to Times New Roman size 12

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Toggle profanity filter for dictation

I'm a fiction writer. Constantly having asterisks instead of the word I dictated because Word randomly deems that word inappropriate is frustrating and forcing me to go manually write it. It's all the more aggravating when I dictate something like "a chicken breast with fries" and it writes "a piece of chicken #### with fries". I mean come on...

It's even worse in French with a greater number of perfectly innocent words (like "poursuite" meaning "pursuit") that I cannot even begin to fathom what makes them get flagged as vulgar.

Dictation in Word isn't a chat that needs stricter monitoring…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. new page

where it says page 1 of 5 I think you should be able to just click on that and then have it give you the option to delete a page or to add a page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make APA version 7 available for in-text citations and reference sections in word

I need APA version 7 in word to use otherwise I have to fiddle with endnote for hours, I like the ease of using word built-in citations - unfortunately, they are wrong and don't comply with my department's regulations as they said I need to use the most recent version of the APA referencing style. Please can you include the updated version of APA referencing in the next update/patch?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. HEY FUCKFACES AT MICROSOFT- WHY DOES PASTE UNFORMATED UNICODE TEXT NOT WORK THIS MORNING AFTER ALMOST 30 YEARS OF WORKING? FUCK_YOU.

HEY FUCKFACES AT MICROSOFT- WHY DOES PASTE UNFORMATED UNICODE TEXT NOT WORK THIS MORNING AFTER ALMOST 30 YEARS OF WORKING? FUCK_YOU.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. add theasaurus and dictionary

add theasaurus and dictionary instead of opening google 1000 times

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. auto spell

if you spell something wrong you don't do it office or desktop do it for you so you don't have to keep stopping

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Senior discount or free account

70 is the new 40...Seniors have the need for more than reading a document but have limited income. They deserve free access to the product as much as educators and students.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow me to customize the Cite format from Smart Lookup

I often want to paste just the URL, not the page title, into my document; let me choose what the citation format is when I click Cite

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Include content of formulas in search function

The search function does not find strings that are part of formulas. For example, when I use a variable "ABC" in a formula, searching for "ABC" does not find this occurrence. Please add this functionality.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Combine Publisher and Word

Since Publisher doesn't seem to get updated very anymore and Word can do most of what Publisher can, please add the rest of the major features from publisher to Word. For example, word currently doesn't have guides or page design options for individual pages. Word also doesn't have as many export options, like the ability to save a page as an image. Other important features like view two page spread, advertisements, business information, and design checker should also be added. Merging these apps would reduce the gap between Office applications and make a much better user experience for those who…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Track-changes "Simple Markup" is broken. When that option is selected, it keeps switching back to "All Markup" by itself.

When editing a document with Track Changes on and set to Simple Markup mode, the application keeps switching back to All Markup mode by itself. It will do this after 30-60 seconds with no interaction at all. It will also do it if you temporarily switch to another application to do something (check mail, browser, etc.) and then go back to the Word window. When that happens, it takes extra time to change it back and then find the place where you left off editing the document. It is especially annoying when you are editing a document with a lot…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop Word printing blank pages!

When you hit print word looks at final page/s, if blank , only pages with text are printed. Would save paper, especially if numbered as they can't be easily recycled and would save electricity. Might help save the planet a tiny bit?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add a night mode (one where you can chooce a black option or a yellowish one).

I work mostly at night, and since word does not support the night mode i have to work on my document in another app and then paste everthing to word. If you could add the 2 options above you would be able to make my life easier. I made the suggestion for 2 types of night mode since there are times when my eyesight is in need of a dark(black) background and there are other times when its in need of a yellowish one, not a background but basic all yellow theme like the samsung galaxy tab A of 3-…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. You should add a gif insert tab

There should be a tab or gif's in the insert.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ribbonhero 3

You know what I miss? Ribbonhero…and Clippy's second chance.
    I know I shouldn't, but I liked that game. And it made me kinda like Clippy. It made me better at doing my job quickly. I played it a lot for Excel and Word. Now there's a lot of Excel stuff that is hard to get a handle on, especially for PivotTables and all the stuff for data science and analysis. Reading it in a book is terrible, the YouTube videos are awful, and the tutorials are a snore, and just...yeah, I think a game for those would be really, really…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Convert PDF to Word Documents Built In

Make it Work as Well as Abode PDF Converter

137 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)