Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Multitasking of documents

Why is it we have multicore processors and multitasking operating system but word will not let you continue to work on a document when another word document is being opened. When working with large documents this is annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Control characters don't show in Word 2013 and 2016

Word has the option of showing the control characters--special characters that are related to RTL languages (File > Options > Advanced. Under section "Show document content", there's an option to check "Show control characters" for those who have a RTL language enabled in Word). I remember that those characters do show in Word 2010. However, they're not showing in Word 2013 and 2016. You can tell, from the movement of the cursor, that those characters are there, but they're not visible.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Series Field when creating a new reference citation

When using the Turabian reference formatting box there is no place to show that a book is part of a series of books. Turabian is often used in religious projects and the reference books for that field are often in series.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Include a "print markup" option in the print menu

Instead of having to exit the print menu and turn off markup, include an option that toggles markup visibility on the printed version

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Word 2016 Navigation pane scroll bug

Word 2016 Navigation pane scroll bug

In Word 2016, when the Navigation pane on screen is open and full of headings, and the document is multiple pages with 100% scale (2 pages on 1080p screen), you adjust the Navigation pane width to leave the document just as two pages without any waste, the document will scroll to the last page, or maybe the last heading.
            Have been repeated on every Word2016 computers I saw, but Word2010 works fine, and Word2013 not tested.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Close the equation and symbol dropbox automatically after inserting a symbol

When typing in a foreign language I often use the symbol feature of word. When clicked on a dropbox appears with 'equation' and 'symbols' options. I click on 'symbols' at which point the 'symbols' selection window opens. I select the symbol I wish to use and click insert. I then have to click somewhere on the screen to get rid of the original dropdown box so that I can continue typing. This should be made to close automatically so that typing is not interrupted.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Start Screen Search Bar should include Office365 documents

When I open word to the start screen I would like to see the search bar which currently searches for templates from office increased in functionality to include searching my office365 documents. I frequently know that I want a word or excel document so I open the application go to my MRU and the file is to old to be listed. I would then like to click in a search box and get results based upon the application I opened. I would not want to see excel files listed when I search in word.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• PLEASE LET US RECOVER OUR WORK IF WE FORGET TO SAVE AND WORD DECIDES THERE'S AN ERROR

I was on my second page of my work and was typing so fast that I did not save it yet because it doesn't take me that long and then WORD decided that there was an error and I lost ALL my work. There really should be a draft option just like email that if we forget to save it or don't save it as we are typing that it will save the draft! All the work just gone and did not give me a chance to recover. That is my business and my current ideas rely on it and…

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Vertical cursor lock

I would like to be able to lock/fix the vertical position of the cursor, so that when I press Enter or Arrow Down, the screen itself scrolls upwards instead of the cursor downwards, enabling my eyes to stay focussed on the same line/position. The only way of achieving this now is by scrolling all the way down to the bottom line, but I’d like to see at least three or four lines belów the current line I’m editing/reading.
                    This function could be compared with placing two transparent rulers on your computerscreen, with the current line of editing in between them.…

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow inline big operators in equation editor

In the equation editor, you can't use a big operator (such as Union, Integral, etc.) inline with its limits and parameters above and below the operator. You can do it if you put it on a line of its own, but once you add text or place the formula inline with other text, all the big operators turn to small ones.
                      Please allow for this inline as well, it could be very useful.

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Expand Equation Support for the Entry of Polar Coordinates

Currently, there is no bracket type to allow for the entry of polar values. Yes, there is a "∠" symbol, however this is not a sufficient option since it is often essential to express addition or subtraction within the angular component of the polar value. the underline of the angle bracket should extend below the numbers it is supposed to contain (as it is most often shown in electrical engineering texts). Please add a new bracket to accomplish this notation within the equation editor.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restore the Language button to the status bar

The Language icon is missing from the status bar that appears at the bottom of each MS Word window—the right-click Customize Status Bar menu still allows a user to toggle the language button on and off, but no button ever appears. Please restore this button

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• horizontal mutipage layout

When editing documents I would like the ability to change the layout view to scroll horizontally instead of vertically. I have more horizontal screen real estate and would like the set of pages I'm working on to all be visible without scrolling up and down. The horizontal scroll would be similar to the reading mode, but allowing editing. Currently I run into the situation when I have multiple pages showing that I want to look at the last page or two of one row and the next page or two of the next row. Horizontal scroll would allow the desired…

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Approvals in track changes by document owners only

We are trying hard to live by Office 365 Group Files and find that additional controls in track changes would help us to utilize a single shared document. If a setting in track changes was enabled so that only the document owners or a specified collaborator could approve tracked changes it would empower us to provide more edit rights in a document. It would also be useful to have read only users able to comment on a document.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add native support for appendix headers

Adding style support for appendix headers in a new document is a tremendous hassle. I have to update obscure properties in several obscure dialogs in order to get mostly correct behavior. Even after properly configuring styles so they appear correctly in the document and the table of contents, it is impossible to get styles to appear as one would expect in the Navigation pane. Please add native support for appendix headers.

4 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Word with Register

Excel have some "Register" and i whish the same for WORD.

Why:
                                  In Word we write someone more then one Letter to the same Case (e.G. Letter 1: Please do as follow // Letter 2: You have not answerd to our Letter #1 - this is a Reminder" and so on).

Actually, we have many of Letters which are the same recipient and subject. Which "Registers" all the subjects are in ONE File, so i find all in one Place on the Disk.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Customize language specific smart quotes

I'm using word 2016 on a windows 7 machine, using "German (Switzerland)" as my default proofing tool language.
                                    As per default the double quotations marks in "German (Switzerland)" are set to the guillemets («»). This is not completely wrong, as we swiss people use the guillemets normally in books and some publications. However, in everyday communication, business and private, we use the slanted double quotes like this: „“ (alt+0132 / alt+0147)

In the language pack "German (Germany)" quotation marks are used how I'd like them. However, switching the proofing language to "German (Germany)" is not the desired solution, because grammar…

17 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Design Colour

When you choose a colour theme from the DESIGN ribbon, the selected palette has a very faint highlight around the chosen palette making it hard to identify. The MAC version makes this much clearer. I'd like to see the PC version revised so it's easier to identify the palette selected.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!261419&authkey=!AB9MTR0uAET5y7g&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C9A112480B7D774!267021&authkey=!AAUUjmUrf7THuYk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Navigation pane settings persistent and improve granularity

The Navigation pane settings, particularly the Expand and Collapse settings, should be persistent from one editing session to the next but only for the same document. I may or may not want Navigation pane entries expanded when I change documents but probably do want them to be the same as I left them in a previous session with the same document.

It would also be nice if Expanding or Collapsing entries could apply only to the entry selected when the Expand or Collapse setting is changed. While working with a large document, the entries I want to see when I…

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Different background colors per section!

While making a portfolio in Microsoft Word 2016 I wanted to have my title page in a different background color than the rest of my document.

This was however sadly not possible in an efficient/native method seeing changing the background will transform the whole document.

Seeing we already can use various different page settings per section I would like to see this optionally made possible for backgrounds.

I think It'd be neat to be able to set up a different background color per different section!

9 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base