Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Define terms such as names or phrases to allow internal document proofing to search and correct for misspellings.

Similar to "Add to Dictionary", you would be able to select a word or phrase, and save as a term either locally within a document, or globally within all of Word. After a term is added / defined, then deviations in spelling from the term definition would be flagged as incorrect by Word's proofing. Currently, especially for names, multiple spellings are often accepted, which can allow for misspellings.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Doormiddel" doesn't exist!

Delete the non-existing word "doormiddel" from the Dutch spellingcheck/dictionairy. It's "door middel".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Continue Development of Word Viewer and add Document Navigation

Word Viewer is a great program for viewing documents that I want to view and not edit. I can open _many_ documents at the same time and the memory used by the program remains _low_--much much lower than opening the same docs in Word, WordPad, or an internet browser with some way of viewing Word docs. This is important for me because I need to open many files at once for research purposes, often only to read or copy text--and this can quickly slow down the computer. My only complaint about the program is that it does not include a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option to start Microsoft Word 2016 with prefered documents (as opposed to "Recent" or "Templates" files)

It would be nice start Word with a view of all my documents. What I was thinking was to display my library of organized local and OneDrive folders and files in the right-side area (currently occupied by the templates). The templates included in Microsoft Word 2016 are very nice, but I typically don't have the need to use them. I wouldn't mind hitting another button to find a template if it allows a more productive use of that space.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. merge cells

select multi rows or columns in a table, the merge cells function merge all the selected cells into one cell. can there be other options that allow to merge only in rows or columns.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Ruler as a drop down Tab

This tab should be added to the right side of the screen to allow the person using word to see how far down the page he or she is from the bottom.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. i want to do no homework and let the computer do it for me

children don't want to do their homework so I posted this idea to all the children in the world

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Retain unique color swatches in doc

If unique colors are defined in doc, the doc should makes SAME swatches available every time doc is opened in future.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Placeholders

It would be nice if you could have some kind of checkbox to mark your work as you go - but not add the checkmarks to the document. For example, I have a list of ten multiple choice questions in a Word doc that I am copying/pasting into a PowerPoint. I keep forgetting what number I am on/which ones I have done. If there was some kind of checkmark overlay so I could check off the ones I've used - that would be helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Do not allow minimized windows to automatically maximize when a new document is opened!

Every time I open a new word doc from a template, the last doc I have been editing that is currently minimized will automatically maximize itself over the new doc I just opened. This is insanely irritating and gets more annoying with each passing day. Make it stop

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make the Vertical Alignment easyer to acess

I think it would be great to make Vertical Alignment easer to acess

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Recover your changes of which another author deleted

Add a feature of which your changes can be recovered when another author deleted text after saving. An example would be a person writing a story for a newspaper. He/she saves it. Another writer comes and deletes the story, replacing it. The author of that story still thinks it's a good story, but is unable to recover it. If this feature is added, it will benefit greatly to the entire human population. Microsoft Corporation must add this feature to all applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc.) ASAP or in Office 2019.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "Target Word Count"

A simple tool for the user to enter a target word count min/max where a popup would display showing that you've either met or exceeded that word count. Very useful for students, writers and bloggers.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Godmt view the list of fonts Hebrew fonts

When you open the font list no Example 2016 version of Hebrew fonts. What was in previous versions. This makes it very difficult work, have each time to choose the font to see the example

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. text box portal

Basically what I want to be able to do, is to have multiple txt files show up on one document. But when I make changes to the files separately, the changes will automatically update on the single document, and vice a versa. Also on the single document, the sections of text wont overlap, but will still act like it is a single document that I wrote beginning to end.

It will help me to organize a project I am working on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Microsoft improvements in general.

I’m pleading with you as a loyal customer who uses Microsoft Office products for both my business and personal use to stop changing programs that are not broke. Tell the young technician to relax and find something else to do. For example:
    • Bring the 2007 – 2010 color theme back as the default color theme. Do not make the customer do work arounds each time we open an office product to change the color theme.
    • Bring back the standard Letter Paper (8.5 x 11 in), landscape, Standard 4:3 slide size as the featured (default) blank presentation in PowerPoint….nobody…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Footnotes in Word Docs searchable from Windows search

When you search in W10 for text in Word docs, it can find what you are looking for in the body of the doc and in the ENDnotes, but not in FOOTnotes. In earlier versions of Windows and Word, it was possible to search for text in footnotes, but no longer. This should be brought back

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. There seems to be a difficult coding issue when Navajo words: 'high' tone with nasalized voweIs ą́.Is there a way to resolve this issue?

There seems to be a difficult coding issue when Navajo words: 'high' tone with nasalized voweIs ą́. Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Can we make a template or coding source for the Navajo language be made available in Word please? There are arabic and Japanese fonts. Please advise at your earliest convenience. Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base