Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Capitalizing Titles According to APA or Other Standards

How about bringing to Word a feature to allow us to capitalize titles according to some standards like APA, Chicago, AP, MLA, NY Times, Wikipedia, or others, instead of just capitalizing each word or sentences?

Example of title on the APA style:
    How to Capitalize a Title According to the APA Standard

More information about APA titles:
    https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/capitalization/title-case

More about other styles:
    https://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/Capitalization

An example of a free online tool that can capitalize titles according to styles:
    https://capitalizemytitle.com

If you want this feature in Microsoft Word, please vote! Feel free to leave your comments below too. Your opinion is very…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Transcription on Word

I see that Word now has a transcription function. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/transcribe-your-recordings-7fc2efec-245e-45f0-b053-2a97531ecf57.
    But it is available only on Word for the web. It would be good to have it included in my desktop version.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Beeline Reader

Please offer the Beeline Reader format on MS Word. Having this available on Word would be a great help for students and professionals who have to read long documents on a daily basis. Beeline also really helps people with disabilities like dyslexia that make reading very difficult.

If the United Nations and Stanford have seen fit to honor Beeline, perhaps it's time for MS to make this available in Word? In the meantime, I'll just keep uploading my Word docs to Google Docs, where I can read them in BeeLine format...wish I could do it in Word though!

134 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Best supported Enstella EDB to PST Converter

Easily convert Exchange EDB file to PST file by using Enstella Exchange EDB to PST Converter Software. It generously repairs all EDB file errors and then converts EDB to PST without any data loss.
    * Easy and time saving Software.
    * Convert Exchange EDB to Outlook PST without missing any internal content and interrelated information.
    * Support all major Windows OS versions up to Win 8 (32 bit and 64 bit).
    * Works on all Exchange EDB file versions 5.0, 5.5, 2000, 2003, 2007 and 2010.
    Get Freeware to click here-https://www.enstella.com/edb-to-pst-conversion.html

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Prevent the color of tracking changes in Word from changing automatically

It would be great if you could prevent the color of tracking changes in Word from changing automatically.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to more easily remove headings, titles, and other things from word count.

I write, and it's nice to have an accurate word count. Somethings don't need to be included in the total word count. It would be nice to be able to more accurately edit certain styles to not be counted in the total word count. And have only certain styles included in the total word count.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. APA 7th Edition Update

please update word with the APA 7th Edition, it is making my already difficult school work even harder.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Can you please ask your developers to enable users to convert MS Word documents to MS Forms. This is a very important tool for educators. Ma

Can you please ask your developers to enable users to convert MS Word documents to MS Forms. This is a very important tool for educators. Many teachers have MS Word quizzes and would like to be able to convert a MS Word file easily into a MS Form quiz. Its so frustrating at present not to be able to convert it easily from one file type to another.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add APA 7th Edition

APA published its 7th edition last year. However, the reference functionality, as well as the APA template on your website, have not been modified to correspond to the new changes. There are numerous students in universities across this country and around the world who rely on Word's reference functionality to keep track of references when conducting necessary research aimed at helping humanity. As numerous individuals have reported this, it is imperative the Microsoft address this issue as soon as possible.

It appears the report rate for this topic is minimal, but there are hundreds of thousands of students who need…

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. When announcing new features, clearly and explicitly identify which are result of user feedback

If you want people to continue using the Feedback process you have to prove to them you are listening.
    In your blog entries announcing new features being implemented, CLEARLY identify which are the result of feedbacks. Even include links to the original feedback so people can see what type of requests are actually acted on.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please add APA 7th edition!

The citation feature in Microsoft word needs updating as soon as possible as its now outdated! please fix this.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Exchange EDB Recovery Server

Vartika EDB to PST Converter Software. It helps to users convert the entire Exchange mailbox items to Outlook PST formats without any error. EDB to PST Converter provides simple conversion process and can be accomplished into few minutes. It facilitates special features for users like (message filtering, naming convention and PST splitting). This EDB to PST Converter Software smoothly works with all Windows and MS Exchange Server versions.
    Get more info: -https://www.vartikasoftware.com/product/vs-edb-to-pst-converter-software.html

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Desperately need APA 7th edition style references for college. Please change it from 6th edition style ASAP.

Desperately need APA 7th edition style references for college. Please change it from 6th edition style ASAP.

I really appreciated using the APA 6th edition style references for my papers. It saves sooo much time and nit picking entries for many references from so many different sources.

Now that APA has made the 7th edition, all the professors want APA 7th edition reference pages.

It is an unbelievable hassle to redo every reference. I have to keep referring to the APA website to figure out what little changes need to be made here and there. It is such a waste…

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Word-Keyboard atachment is not working for foreign-speakers

Hello there

This is Lineira O'Brien representing my sister, Yeisy Carolina Romero, we are from Colombia and my sister does not speak English. I bought a Surface laptop and I also purchased Microsoft Student Office 2019 in New York for her. There is a huge problem when trying to type in Microsoft Word. Although Microsoft Word is downloaded in Spanish, its auto-correction language is in English. That is because the keyboard is in English. When I change the keyboard settings to Spanish (so the auto-correction in Word can actually work in Spanish), all the keys from the keyboard changes. This…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. TURN OFF THE PROFANITY FILTER ON THE MICROSOFT WORD VOICE DICTATION FEATURE

I would like the option, as a free thinking adult, to turn off the profanity filter in Microsoft Word Voice dictation feature. I work in a treatment program where patients need to be able to express themselves. Also, some of the filters are silly, for instance the following sentence was changed from:

"The painting of a naked women was done in the ......."

to:

"The painting of a was done in the ......."

Who decides what is profanity?
    Please allow the user to turn this feature off. Do not decide for me what is profane.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. in Microsoft Word, Change Tracking wont fully turn off when trying to turn it off in any document that uses ListNum Fields

In Microsoft Word, there is a Change Tracking issue when using ListNum Fields that causes alot of undesirable work when a user attempts to turn off change tracking in a document with ListNum Fields.

To demonstrate the issue:
    1) use the latest copy of Microsoft Word and put in several ListNum Fields (Insert -> QuickParts -> Field -> ListNum)
    2) Press return a few times to give yourself some space.
    3) Turn Change Tracking on (Review -> Track Changes).
    4) Type some characters to make a 'change'.
    5) Now click "Accept all and stop Tracking".
    6) Now remove one of…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. add APA 7th edition template

There should be an update for APA 7th edition that came out last year. This update is highly needed for nursing students in college and university. The lack of availability is costing students marks for improper formatting. for the amount of money us students spend, please do the update.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Autocorrect in Word

What stroke of insanity possessed someone at Microsoft to remove the autocorrect function from Word? Word 365 was working just fine, with autocorrect, until I allowed Editor in on the game. It disabled autocorrect. I am a technical/science writer with an enormous custom dictionary, which I can no longer add to! Editor comes up with a pathetic choice of words, which is useless. Do you realise how much time this is costing me? Not to mention the SIX HOURS I have spent this week with two Level 1 techs, two Level 2 techs, and finally a Level 3 tech who…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. BUG - FormFields marked as not Fill-In Enabled cannot be set by VBA code in V2102

Beginning in build 2102 of MS Word, a very elaborate document that I have created no longer works properly.

My form makes extensive use of FormFields. Starting with build 2102, it appears that Word VBA is not able to properly execute this command:

ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyFieldNameA1").Result = 100

if the field in question has fill-in enabled set to off. It instead changes another, seemingly random field in the document.

There is no way that this is intended behavior.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base