Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Capitalizing Titles According to APA or Other Standards

How about bringing to Word a feature to allow us to capitalize titles according to some standards like APA, Chicago, AP, MLA, NY Times, Wikipedia, or others, instead of just capitalizing each word or sentences?

Example of title on the APA style:
    How to Capitalize a Title According to the APA Standard

More information about APA titles:
    https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/capitalization/title-case

More about other styles:
    https://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/Capitalization

An example of a free online tool that can capitalize titles according to styles:
    https://capitalizemytitle.com

If you want this feature in Microsoft Word, please vote! Feel free to leave your comments below too. Your opinion is very…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Upgrade of Mail Merge

Mail merge is in desperate need of an upgrade. I would ideally like to see the following features added in the near future.

1. Multiple recipients support including CC and BCC.

2. Subject line can contain merge fields

3. Support for office files or PDFs to be merged and sent to the recipient(s) as attachments.

4. Further integration with OneDrive and SharePoint.

5. If there are multiple email in Outlook, the ability to choose when merging which email address the emails are sent from.

132 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. new option for word count: only counting highlighted text

word count needs to be divided between counting the whole document(current) and counting only the highlighted text(useful). Word count would also be a helpful addition to the right click fast menu, as opposed to less useful features, like bullet and numbering libraries.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Feature to refer to other comments

Comments used to be numbered and even though that is technically still the case, most people I work with don't know that. As my job requires me to correct a lot of things and many of the documents I revise contain the same mistake over and over again, I usually refer back to previous comments. I used to do that with e.g. "See E2", but for a while now, I use the vague "See earlier comment", as nobody knows what E2 refers back to anymore.

Now I don't want to "just" see the return of numbers, as I had some…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add ability to be able to extend/edit language dictionary(especially for punctuation marks) for Dictate function in Office 365 Apps

Hello dear Microsoft, I'm really enjoying using Dictate function in Office 365 App. It's a wonderful feature and I'm using it on daily basis. Thank you for this feature. As I’m using it every day I noticed some imperfection in this feature.
    Therefore I would like to suggest to add ability to edit/extend language dictionary for this feature especially for punctuation mark as it so limited https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dictate-your-documents-in-word-3876e05f-3fcc-418f-b8ab-db7ce0d11d3c?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

Thank you for taking it into consideration

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow users to restore the old format for comments in Word

The new format for comments in Word is not user friendly. I have spent the whole morning with Microsoft Support trying to restore my older version of Microsoft 365 but it was unsuccessful. The new format for "modern comments" is not ready for roll-out and should be halted until more work is done on it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Re speech recognition dictation in Word: No way to adjust time dictation is available. Shuts off after only 15 seconds.

Preference needed to adjust time dictation is available before shutting off. Also, keyboard keystroke combination or single key needed to reactivate dictation mode in Word and elsewhere.

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. APA 7th Edition Update

please update word with the APA 7th Edition, it is making my already difficult school work even harder.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. my documents are couldn't open , I need to open please.

my documents are couldn't open, I need to open them, please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Can you please ask your developers to enable users to convert MS Word documents to MS Forms. This is a very important tool for educators. Ma

Can you please ask your developers to enable users to convert MS Word documents to MS Forms. This is a very important tool for educators. Many teachers have MS Word quizzes and would like to be able to convert a MS Word file easily into a MS Form quiz. Its so frustrating at present not to be able to convert it easily from one file type to another.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Free EDB to PST Converter Tool

Today I would like to suggest you to first try the demo version of any Software. Because you can check the preview of your mailboxes & take the decision. Enstella is the best EDB to PST Converter Software which provides the smart conversion facility into different file formats. Provides the facility to migrate large EDB to PST without any file size limitation. Supports all the version of Exchange Server from 5.5 to 2013.
    Benefits of the software:
    1. Helps to save the file in different format. MSG, HTML, PST and EML.
    2. Gives the preview of Scanned files before the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Word Count alteration

word count needs to be divided between counting the whole document(current) and counting only the highlighted text(useful). Word count would also be a helpful addition to the right click fast menu, as opposed to less useful features, like bullet and numbering libraries.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Beeline Reader

Please offer the Beeline Reader format on MS Word. Having this available on Word would be a great help for students and professionals who have to read long documents on a daily basis. Beeline also really helps people with disabilities like dyslexia that make reading very difficult.

If the United Nations and Stanford have seen fit to honor Beeline, perhaps it's time for MS to make this available in Word? In the meantime, I'll just keep uploading my Word docs to Google Docs, where I can read them in BeeLine format...wish I could do it in Word though!

150 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. When announcing new features, clearly and explicitly identify which are result of user feedback

If you want people to continue using the Feedback process you have to prove to them you are listening.
    In your blog entries announcing new features being implemented, CLEARLY identify which are the result of feedbacks. Even include links to the original feedback so people can see what type of requests are actually acted on.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Permanently disable "Print Markup" in Word document default setting

Please create a default setting to permanently disable "Print Markup" which can be set at the file level when saved.

This setting would also be nice to have for save as PDF.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Display "Feature Flags" to users

This blog:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-release-processes-why-do-i-not-see-a-feature-but/bc-p/2113533#M7903

explained why Office app users do not always see the same "new" feature flags".

See my comment on the blog. Short form, this hidden manipulation of features is causing massive amounts of wasted time world wide because people sitting side by side are not seeing the same "new" features.

Please expose these flags in the File menu > Account command > About section in addition to Version and Build numbers.
    In IT support we NEED to see this information!
    This change needs to be implemented in all applications that user "feature flags" to control rollouts. …

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Switch between modern or classic comments

The new "modern comments" feature in Word auto-adjusts my zoom level whenever I click "previous comment" or "next comment". I would like to be able to switch back to classic comments so that I can click "previous comment" or "next comment" without my zoom level adjusting each time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. TURN OFF THE PROFANITY FILTER ON THE MICROSOFT WORD VOICE DICTATION FEATURE

I would like the option, as a free thinking adult, to turn off the profanity filter in Microsoft Word Voice dictation feature. I work in a treatment program where patients need to be able to express themselves. Also, some of the filters are silly, for instance the following sentence was changed from:

"The painting of a naked women was done in the ......."

to:

"The painting of a was done in the ......."

Who decides what is profanity?
    Please allow the user to turn this feature off. Do not decide for me what is profane.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. dictate command not working. solve the issue.

dictate icon should be available in Home ribban.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. BRING BACK THE EYEDROPPER IN MICROSOFT WORD!

Seriously... the dumbest move ever.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base