Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. please either remove or, at a minimum, provide an option to turn o the expand/collapse 'feature' in Word styles with Expand/Collapse.

Here's a great new idea! Do what most users are asking for in the messages below. Remove the expand/collapse feature (UGH - feature implies something positive or acceptable - 'expand/collapse' is none of that!!!). At a minimum, provide the option to turn it off!! Also, allow users to turn off auto numbering, the automatic appearance of the paragraph icons, and any other auto feature. We can make our own decisions without features and in less time than it takes for the auto features to disappear so we can continue. Very, VERY Frustrating!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Correct Persian Multilevel list and numbering

Multilevel list numbering in Persian shows an incorrect sequence of numbers. however the same numbering sequence is correct in any Arabic language.

106 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Increase the 259 path length limit when saving files to SharePoint online

A word document (and other office apps) opened from a SharePoint library can not be saved if the URL exceeds 259 characters. It does not make sense to impose the same limit as saving files to a hard drive when saving files to a URL as URL's are not file paths on physical storage / hard drives.

Please fix this.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add 'Allow the following words to start with lowercase letters at the beginning of a sentence' in Office applications

Many 'cool' brands these days use names that don't use capital letters at the beginning of the word. Please add an option to 'Allow the following words to start with lowercase letters at the beginning of a sentence' in Office applications so that they don't have to be repeatedly corrected over, and over, and over again.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. update the APA to version 7 all university's are using this now.

All University's are using the 7th edition of the APA style for writing. It would help if you added this to Word for Windows.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. stop hiding the ******* scroll position bar on the right of the document when the pointer is off the document.

stop hiding the fuckingdocumentposition_bar on the right of the document when the pointer is off the document.

-YOU-MICROSOFT--****** FOR PUTTING THIS SHITWARE "FEATURE" IN.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dictation in Word 365

Provide a Dictation shortcut in word 365 and automatic on/off dictation mode when using a headset (listening mode).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop warning whenever any Building Block is used

Since Version 1908 whenever a building block is used or the Building Block Organizer is accessed this loads Building Blocks.dotx and changes the saved state to false. This triggers a warning message when leaving Word asking whether the user wants to save changes to Building Blocks.dotx, even when there have been no changes.

See this thread in the Answers forum.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/using-any-building-block-triggers-warning-message/08f7f98a-e23b-4c70-b166-e6954063b484

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Issue with setting default proofing language

I'm trying to change the default proofing language in Word 2019, but despite having changed the default both in Language dialogue and in Styles, and having removed English as proofing language from the options, it always defaults back to English.

I discussed this issue with another user here, but we were unable to find a solution: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msowin10-mso_2019/change-default-spell-checker-language/734b6741-2057-4adc-8b91-1450dfcabd6a

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Multiple TAB/Sheet option in MS Word

Problem Statement:

User need to create new files for new activities. Also user can not link one word data from different word files.

Solution:

We should have an option of creating multiple Tab/Sheet in one word file like MS Excel.

There are multiple benefits of it like:

1. We can link one sheet to another

2. We can create the different word file just by adding the new tabs in same file

3. We don't have to open multiple files for different task or activities

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make APA version 7 available for in-text citations and reference sections in word

I need APA version 7 in word to use otherwise I have to fiddle with endnote for hours, I like the ease of using word built-in citations - unfortunately, they are wrong and don't comply with my department's regulations as they said I need to use the most recent version of the APA referencing style. Please can you include the updated version of APA referencing in the next update/patch?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Toggle profanity filter for dictation

I'm a fiction writer. Constantly having asterisks instead of the word I dictated because Word randomly deems that word inappropriate is frustrating and forcing me to go manually write it. It's all the more aggravating when I dictate something like "a chicken breast with fries" and it writes "a piece of chicken #### with fries". I mean come on...

It's even worse in French with a greater number of perfectly innocent words (like "poursuite" meaning "pursuit") that I cannot even begin to fathom what makes them get flagged as vulgar.

Dictation in Word isn't a chat that needs stricter monitoring…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Correct bug copy + paste excel table to word shows different frame thickness

Im using the latest Office 365 desktop apps from word and excel and latest windows 10 version.

If you copy a simple table from Excel into word, then the thickness of the frame is different. If you make professional business reports this is not accaptable.

Feedback from Microsoft Facebook trold me that is a feature and I should create the user voice entry to correct this bug.

I still doesn't understand why Microsoft is not able to offer bug fixing in an other way. And I pay for office 365 every month but I don't remember, that I payed for…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a ruler to Word 365. Why is there no ruler. Are y'all insane?

Add a ruler to Word 365. Why is there no ruler. Are y'all insane?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve performance for large documents

I have a Word document with lots of reference material in it, admittedly it is quite large, and if I were starting this document again, I would not use Word. However, it used to work absolutely fine until the business updated to Office 365. It now takes Word about 5 minutes to open the document, during which time the window alternates between blank, black, and showing the initial page of the document.

The document lives on my local disk, in a folder which is managed by OneDrive. The file size is 2.8 MB, and it is currently 353 pages long.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Microsoft Print to PDF

1) When you print using this printer , please allow hyperlinks to be retained. They currently disappear.

2) The driver appears to be the only way you can get OpenType Variable Font Bahnschrift to render properly. Why doesnt "save as pdf" have the same capabilities? Indeed, there appear to be very few drivers that can properly render Bahnschift.

3) Why is the driver not available to be installed on windows? If for some reason you delete it, it does not seem possible to reinstall it..it is not listed as a driver manufactured by microsoft, no matter how many times you…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Check In Check Out Using OneDrive for SharePoint Library

Enable Check in and Check out of documents in SharePoint Libraries synchronized using OneDrive

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Let users choose if they need some words censored or not

when i try to use the dictate function in french, Word won't write some words. I'm a PHD candidate in sociology of . i use the word "" constantly in french. Right now, the dictate function in Word (online or on my computer) replace "" by little stars *** instead of the word i need. I understand the need for protections of minors, but i should have the choice to be able, or not, to use the langage i want, or add the words i need.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base