Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Chechen spelling dictionary

It would be great to have Chechen spelling dictionary available for download from Microsoft official resources.

15,835 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3010 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a calculater in Microsoft word, Since the equation feature already exist

I'm an Engineer, my major requires a lot of reports and calculations. I think it will save time if while writing my equation in the report with actual numbers it will be automatically calculated instead of calculating it again either manually or with excel. I think the idea is simple but will have a great response and save time for students and other users.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. update the APA to version 7 all university's are using this now.

All University's are using the 7th edition of the APA style for writing. It would help if you added this to Word for Windows.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Kumyk spelling dictionary (Latin alphabet) / Qumuqça tüzyazıw sözlügü (Latin alipbada)

Let's promote creation of Kumyk spelling dictionary (Latin alphabet) available for download from Microsoft official resources. Let's make Kumyk lingua franca again! / Qumuqça tüzyazıw sözlüknü (Latin alipbada) etsin uçun wa onu Microsoftnu resmi resurslarından yüklep bolağan küyde salsın uçun ses bereyik! Qumuqçanı yañıdan orta til eteyik!

10,482 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

143 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Update Referencing tool to APA 7th

Please update your referencing tool to APA 7th. Many school jurisdictions pay for 365 across all their students and staff, as do many Universities. Individuals also pay for their own subscriptions. Updates such as these should be made in a timely fashion. It is more than a year since APA 7 was released and hundreds of thousands of 365 students use it for their referencing. If it were added to 365 that would make those students' lives easier as well as compliant with educational requirements.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Implement the updated grammer style: APA 7th Edition

Currently, Word 365 and Word 2019 both have Grammar Style: APA 6th Edition. This would be a tremendous help to those who write a lot of papers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make comment balloons more distinct visually by applying one color per editor and a border

For those of us that review, edit and comment upon documents, it would be better if we could more easily distinguish who is the author of the comments. Please color-code each user so that you can quickly see a particular person's comments. Also, put the comment balloons or bubbles in an outline so that you can distinguish one comment from another. This might sound familiar to those who have used Word 2010, because it had this wonderful and useful feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ribbon Color

Because I keep multiple Word documents open on my Desktop during a typical workday, it would be nice to customize the color of the ribbon. For example, if I were writing a work report, the ribbon color might be yellow; or alternatively, if I were writing a personal note, the ribbon color could be purple. The current capability of hovering over the Word icon (which explodes the open documents) would be enhanced because the user could quickly find the document he/she desires with a glance at the ribbon color. If I need my work report, I simply look for the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Dictation in Word 365

Provide a Dictation shortcut in word 365 and automatic on/off dictation mode when using a headset (listening mode).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. please either remove or, at a minimum, provide an option to turn o the expand/collapse 'feature' in Word styles with Expand/Collapse.

Here's a great new idea! Do what most users are asking for in the messages below. Remove the expand/collapse feature (UGH - feature implies something positive or acceptable - 'expand/collapse' is none of that!!!). At a minimum, provide the option to turn it off!! Also, allow users to turn off auto numbering, the automatic appearance of the paragraph icons, and any other auto feature. We can make our own decisions without features and in less time than it takes for the auto features to disappear so we can continue. Very, VERY Frustrating!!!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Word Read Aloud

It'd be nice if the Word Read Aloud feature can work with SAP voices, or 32-bit voices on my computer. One needs to rely on the "Speak Selected Feature," which is not as handy as Read Aloud.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Language Papiamento

I am currently in a position in which I have O365 in my portfolio to sell here on the island of Aruba. The local language is Papiamento and is used in many news articles. Next to that it is a language given at certain school of which the number will increase in the coming years. That means more individuals will be using Word processing on a daily basis to create documents in Papiamento.

Currently I cannot sell O365 to many clients because the language is taken out of the language package. It is still available in Word 2010 and hence…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Check In Check Out Using OneDrive for SharePoint Library

Enable Check in and Check out of documents in SharePoint Libraries synchronized using OneDrive

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Expand/Collapse Heading elimination

This is apparently a new feature that is very annoying. If someone hits one of those little triangles and then prints the document they miss a whole lot of the document. We print legal documents and have on several occasions missed various paragraphs. This has put us into a real legal conundrum. PLEASE ELIMINATE THIS DUMB FEATURE.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Toggle profanity filter for dictation

I'm a fiction writer. Constantly having asterisks instead of the word I dictated because Word randomly deems that word inappropriate is frustrating and forcing me to go manually write it. It's all the more aggravating when I dictate something like "a chicken breast with fries" and it writes "a piece of chicken #### with fries". I mean come on...

It's even worse in French with a greater number of perfectly innocent words (like "poursuite" meaning "pursuit") that I cannot even begin to fathom what makes them get flagged as vulgar.

Dictation in Word isn't a chat that needs stricter monitoring…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Let me change the default bullet point

Let me change the default bullet point

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Increase the 259 path length limit when saving files to SharePoint online

A word document (and other office apps) opened from a SharePoint library can not be saved if the URL exceeds 259 characters. It does not make sense to impose the same limit as saving files to a hard drive when saving files to a URL as URL's are not file paths on physical storage / hard drives.

Please fix this.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Let users choose if they need some words censored or not

when i try to use the dictate function in french, Word won't write some words. I'm a PHD candidate in sociology of . i use the word "" constantly in french. Right now, the dictate function in Word (online or on my computer) replace "" by little stars *** instead of the word i need. I understand the need for protections of minors, but i should have the choice to be able, or not, to use the langage i want, or add the words i need.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Correct Persian Multilevel list and numbering

Multilevel list numbering in Persian shows an incorrect sequence of numbers. however the same numbering sequence is correct in any Arabic language.

108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Require option to remain signed out of Office account without having to reactivate it everytime I wish to use the full functionality.

Require option to remain signed out of Office account without having to reactivate it everytime I wish to use the full functionality.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base