Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. 16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove Legacy File Formats

To increase security for users, removing the ability to open legacy file attachments such as Word 97-2003 and older formats or Microsoft Works. Both formats have long been retired for over a decade. The legacy Word DOC format is a cesspool for bad actors to embed malcious code without the same level of security controls that the new DOCX format provides. This legacy file format needs to be removed.

I would suggest that it be moved to a separate utility that converts the documents to DOCX or DOCM depending on the content.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Viewer Mode as User GPO not only Computer GPO

Hello MS Team,

you offer this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-viewer-mode

Office 365 is a "User" Based License, not a Client License. So, in an Environment, where you have, for example 100 Clients and 120 employees, while 80 have a E3 license, you want to install Office 365 to any of this 100 Clients and add any User to a AD Group, that do NOT have a valid Office License, add the "Office Viewer GPO" to this AD Group, so if that User will logon to a client, Office 365 will be in Viewer Mode for THIS User. When a User with a valid…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Avar spelling dictionary

Let's create a spelling dictionary in Avar language that would be available for download from Microsoft's official resources.

19,175 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

387 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reinstate readability statistics for sentences and paragraphs in Word 365

I've just upgraded from 2010 to 365 and found that I now cannot check readability statistics by sentence, paragraph and chapter in my work as a writer. Word 365 can only do that for a whole document, which is useless for me and for many other writers. I feel duped and angry at now having to pay more for a product that does less - and doesn't do the job I've been doing for ten years with Word 2010. Please reinstate the functionality for readability statistics by sentences and paragraphs in Word 365. I just can't believe that anyone in…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Adding a feature with "Comments" to assign its severity (for easy auditing, measuring a KPI and priority actioning purposes)

This is with regard to the “Comments” feature which is greatly used for communicating feedback or suggestion on a selected content of a document. People in my organisation are coming up with various tools to manually record the severity of comments made in a document by a reviewer. The level of errors and severity of comments form a KPI for originators of the documents, but there lies an ambiguity (as well as subjectivity) in classifying the review comments under various degrees like minor, medium, moderate and major. Ideally the reviewer should be given a choice at the time of posting…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. update the APA to version 7 all university's are using this now.

All University's are using the 7th edition of the APA style for writing. It would help if you added this to Word for Windows.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Increase the 259 path length limit when saving files to SharePoint online

A word document (and other office apps) opened from a SharePoint library can not be saved if the URL exceeds 259 characters. It does not make sense to impose the same limit as saving files to a hard drive when saving files to a URL as URL's are not file paths on physical storage / hard drives.

Please fix this.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. APA 7th Edition Update

please update word with the APA 7th Edition, it is making my already difficult school work even harder.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Update Referencing tool to APA 7th

Please update your referencing tool to APA 7th. Many school jurisdictions pay for 365 across all their students and staff, as do many Universities. Individuals also pay for their own subscriptions. Updates such as these should be made in a timely fashion. It is more than a year since APA 7 was released and hundreds of thousands of 365 students use it for their referencing. If it were added to 365 that would make those students' lives easier as well as compliant with educational requirements.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ribbon Color

Because I keep multiple Word documents open on my Desktop during a typical workday, it would be nice to customize the color of the ribbon. For example, if I were writing a work report, the ribbon color might be yellow; or alternatively, if I were writing a personal note, the ribbon color could be purple. The current capability of hovering over the Word icon (which explodes the open documents) would be enhanced because the user could quickly find the document he/she desires with a glance at the ribbon color. If I need my work report, I simply look for the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Chechen spelling dictionary

It would be great to have Chechen spelling dictionary available for download from Microsoft official resources.

15,839 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3010 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Cross-References for Figures and Tables must have a Number Only option.

Cross-References for Figures and Tables must have a Number Only option. It is quite awkward when one wants to cross-reference a group of Figures or Tables, and cannot write something like: "From Figures 7 to 11..." Currently, one has to write: "From Figure 7 to Figure 11..."
    I have suggested this several times in the last 10 years. So far no response.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Automate filling in the title metadata for accessibility

When converting a Word to PDF, one of the last tasks to do is provide the title metadata for the PDF. In PowerPoint, it grabs the title off of the first slide. Why not do something similar via use o the Title style?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please add APA 7th edition!

The citation feature in Microsoft word needs updating as soon as possible as its now outdated! please fix this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. MAAKT GESCHIEDENIS NIET ZO KUT

JA LEES DE TITEL JIJ TERING MONGOL

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Require option to remain signed out of Office account without having to reactivate it everytime I wish to use the full functionality.

Require option to remain signed out of Office account without having to reactivate it everytime I wish to use the full functionality.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can you please ask your developers to enable users to convert MS Word documents to MS Forms. This is a very important tool for educators. Ma

Can you please ask your developers to enable users to convert MS Word documents to MS Forms. This is a very important tool for educators. Many teachers have MS Word quizzes and would like to be able to convert a MS Word file easily into a MS Form quiz. Its so frustrating at present not to be able to convert it easily from one file type to another.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base