Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Ability to Number Paragraphs

Currently, there is no easy function to allow for paragraphs to be numbered. As it stands now the only way to do this is to use a numbered list. It would be beneficial to lawyers and almost anybody in the legal field as there is a frequent need to number paragraphs and not lines.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Comment footnotes

I should be able to put a comment on a footnote. If I need someone to look over a footnote, I have to either put a comment in the body text or highlight the section of the footnote manually.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Convert PDF to Word Documents Built In

Make it Work as Well as Abode PDF Converter

133 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. CTRL + C + C CTRL + V + V Double Tap Copy & Paste

CTRL + C will copy item 1 to the clipboard as normal.
    CTRL + C + C (double tap) will copy item 2 to the clipboard.

CTRL + V will paste item 1 from the clipboard.
    CTRL + V + V (double tap) will paste item 2 from the clipboard.

This wouldn't be as versatile as say CTRL + C + 1, 2, 3 etc. however much easier therefore more likely to get used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. my idea is thes app include the all laguage and include the desing also

language all and the fancy desing include this app the app use for job to software and then who creat the new idea they include fratur also in this app secrtiy can mentan and the ok

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When I use "Add to dictionary" it should to be synced to my account, so I can use it on other devices.

When I use "Add to dictionary" it should to be synced to my account, so I can use it on other devices.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enlarge the font size in the Advance Search and Replace dialogue box.

Enlarge the font size in the Advance Search and Replace dialogue box.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add limits to integrals and sums

In OneNote, it is very easy to add limits to existing integrals and sums without limits in the equation editor: just press the left arrow until the cursor moves to the limit field.

In Word, however, if I type an integral or sum without limits, the limit field is not there and the only way to add limits is to convert the equation to linear format. Please make the Word Equation Editor behave like OneNote's in this regard.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. HEY FUCKFACES AT MICROSOFT- WHY DOES COPY AND PASTE TEXT OUT OF PDF FILES MAGICALLY NOT WORK TODAY? FUCK_YOU.

HEY FUCKFACES AT MICROSOFT- WHY DOES COPY AND PASTE TEXT OUT OF PDF FILES MAGICALLY NOT WORK TODAY? FUCK_YOU.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Word 2016 Vanishing Scroll Bar: Why make it easy to navigate a document when you can make it harder?!

Once again in Word 2016, the scroll bar vanishes when I move the mouse pointer away from the Word window. Where am I in the word document? Really can't say, the #($#))#$ scroll bar has vanished.

If I select a different app, maybe Excel, the Word scroll bar vanishes and doesn't reappear until I click somewhere in the Word window. Returning from Excel to scroll down and work on the next bit of my Word document? Click somewhere in the Word window to un-vanish the scroll bar, then click the scroll bar to move through the document.

Hey,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improved Dark Mode on Page

Dark Mode in Word is off to a great start since it was introduced, but it could be even more better, if the page that users are currently typing could also be darkened as well, as you are still staring at a white page. A feature in Outlooks enables users to preview their messages against a white background, without having to change their main settings. This feature can be imported to Word (and possibly other Office products as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. formatting text: overlined

In some cases (especially in computer science) it would be necessary to overline text. In older versions that was possible. Now you have to draw a line.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Numbering of comments

Dear Microsoft,

Why did you eliminated the numbering of the comments? It is such a bad idea! In a document where I have 20-30 comments, it has become just impossible to keep track of these comments anymore. Please, please bring it back.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add APA 7th Edition

With the release of the 7th Edition of the APA Publication manual, this style needs to be reflected in Word for use in references, citations, and the reference list as well as a document template.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I think you have a great program but there are a growing number of common bugs. One is after hypertext, if you press enter to go to the nex

Great program, growing number of bugs that make it exceedingly hard to use. One is after hypertext, if you press enter to go to the next line, and press spacebar to go right, when you type the non hypertext it automatically enters hypertext, very hard to undo. Another is automatically numbering things, stupid, if I want to number them I will do it myself(stop possesing my keyboard!!). Another is sometimes when you press spacebar to move text over to the right, it just won't let you, hey, if I want to move my text over its my right. Just saying,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Name of File on top of Word

In older versions of Word the name of my file would be displayed at the top of word in the middle. Now only a small portion appears. Is there any way you can put at least 3/4 of the document name before the hourglass at the top of Word?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tabs option in a Word document: I am a regular user of Word Document and have to maintain different files for different projects.

I am a regular user of Word Document and have to maintain different files for different projects as there is no option to open new tab in a word document. It would be very helpful to simplify the process of using word and reduce the number of files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Autoscroll as you type!

As a career typist I am continually frustrated that as I type my text goes lower and lower on the page, instead of scrolling automatically so that my typing is always near the top of the page. My transcriptionist friends agree! This is terrible for our ergonomics, not to mention just plain annoying, to either always have our text at the bottom of the screen, sometimes only half visible, or else having to stop and scroll the whole page up. THIS NEEDS CHANGING URGENTLY!

168 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base