Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Missing "Document panel" in Word 2016

In Word 2016 I'm missing the "Document panel" This was something that was made available when enabling "Developer" i Word 2013
We use this a lot when opening Word letters from Sharepoint to enter data into field.

692 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

302 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are Microsoft trying to kill SharePoint? The Document Panel is a vital easy to use feature for end users, they see it, they tag it, so simple, just don't get your thinking here. I've really had a battle to sell SharePoint to the decision makers in the business and this along with the deprecation of InfoPath with no clear replacement or roadmap to a replacement, and the deprecation of Access Services when businesses have spent a lot of money on enterprise licences for those features is really pushing business decision makers away from SharePoint altogether, they don't see long term viability in a product where key features that we've spent a lot of resource implementing just get deprecated. And as for a move to the cloud, that looks even worse, you deprecate a feature and get even less time to find a replacement, you have given people using Access Services little over a year until you pull that service. I really embraced SharePoint, but moves like this are damaging the trust of business leaders, and technology implementers everywhere.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The document panel is a vital tool for working within a document management site using a content hub. We have almost a thousand content types for record management, and the removal of the document panel doesn’t provide any options for content management when you have the document open on your screen. Going to the information area, turning on all properties, half of the fields listed are unusable – I want to see my content metadata fields, not the Microsoft generic ones.

• Thaddeus Ferber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates since last August?

To drive user adoption I need the managed metadata tags to appear at the top of microsoft word documents. We tried to get
        staff to click on the file tab but that ended up being too many clicks so everything stopped saving things in SharePoint.

• danielb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

surely we have not let people depend on something and then take it away from them in one swoosh. Removing the document information panel will take us backwards. I implore MS to please make this feature available. Without it I might as well be using a pencil and notepad.

• rwalka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is insane. Taking away Visual from SP Designer 2013 was bad enough. The fact that there's still no answer, I would really like to see some sort of feedback from MS. Nothing worse than having a forum to provide feedback but not getting any from the organization. Such poor customer service. MS no longer has a monopoly on office related products. Either get with it or people will sue something else.

BTW - I have the same issue as everyone else on this thread.

• J. Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the document panel, our organization uses this with SharePoint. The workflows have gotten significantly more complicated for users.

• Dave Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My whole division counted on this feature to Automatically file documents in a portion of our SharePoint. It was a customer communication email that would include an attached Word Document. If a specific email address was used in the as a CC the attached document would get filed in an appropriate, SharePoint, customer files location. The Word Document has custom design SharePoint document filing attributes that categorize the documents in SharePoint. The user no longer has access to these properties to accommodate this.

• Margie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I moved to a new office where they're using Office 365 ... our customer is using MS Office 2013.
        I'm working to make templates for users to work with at both the company site and the customer site. My templates have depended on the Document Properties panel. (BTW, if I add the Document Properties icon to my Quick Access Toolbar, the icon does absolutely nothing in Office 365. In Office 2013, it opened the Document Properties panel.)

It totally amazes me that MS takes away functionality that expert/super users have both become accustomed to and depend on!

BRING BACK THE DOCUMENT PROPERTIES!

Along the same line ... I have a laptop at home that I will NEVER get rid of because it has MS Office 2003 on it! Why, you ask. Well, MS in your infinite "wisdom" when deploying Word 2007, took away (and have NEVER GIVEN BACK) the ability to create custom buttons and custom button bars.

Thus, I create templates at home with custom buttons (tied to my styles) and custom button bars. Then, when that 2003 .dot file attaches to a .dotx file, the custom buttons and button bars open in ADD INS ... and it's a LOT easier to get people to format documents consistently with my custom buttons and button bars! You have NO idea the angst that created on my project!!!! My predecessor had created kludgy DOS-like buttons tied to macros that the developers had gotten used to and depended on. Well, along comes 2007 and the buttons don’t work (can’t update them) and a corporate policy disable the use of macros. The developers DEMANDED we give them back their buttons and I kept telling them it wasn’t us … it was Microsoft! Our project was working with a team of MS people and I complained to them ... they investigated ... and said the decision to remove was because they determined that people weren't using the feature! It got really, really ugly. I had an idea to try creating a TestTemplate at home with my Word 2003 with five custom buttons tied to styles and brought it to the office, not expecting it to work. To my amazement, the custom buttons opened in ADD INS. I was given permission to recreate the developer’s template at home with custom buttons/button bars and deploy it to the project. The developers were finally happy … and I saved my job!

WHO makes these horrible decisions??
        When you took away the custom buttons/button bars in 2007, WHO did MS check with? I am prone to suspect it was more likely some young, inexperienced MS new hire who didn't understand the functionality or why anyone would use it and said ... let's get rid of it.

You NEVER gave back the custom button bar feature ... which makes my life a nightmare. I have to create the buttons/button bars at home ... bring them in to work and try them out ... if they don't, I have to take copious notes of what I need to fix ... go home and "fix" and try again until it works. I’m not the only EXPERT Word user who complained about MS removing this feature.

So, now you've done it again! You took away the Document Properties panel ... will you EVER give THIS functionality back to us?? (The solution to access Advanced Document Properties, reminds me of the Word 2003 and earlier versions of the dialog box that NO one used or wanted to use. To get to Advanced Document Properties is also a LOT more keystrokes. My users will never do that.) The Document Properties panel is attractive and easy to use … and easy to explain to my users.

Give us BACK both the Document Properties panel and the CUSTOM BUTTON functionality!!
        PLEASE!!!!

• Gene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not saying anything that hasn't already been said. Bring document panel back please.

• Rhea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring the document panel back - this is a hindrance in the way we do business.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify re comments below... I am referring to Managed Metadata fields specifically. I can edit a Single line of text field within the document just fine.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being that people don't enjoy (light adjective) completing metadata this made the process less tech/records focused.

In fact, I recommend upping the game! Don't only allow displaying SharePoint column information using Quick Parts. Make those editable as well, so that it would allow the metadata to be completed with the custom templates we are putting against Content Types.

More and more we need to 'eat our own dog food' before suggesting functionality to the business. I am trying to use this backstage option and it's way too clunky for me to really recommend; one might say completely frustrating.

We know the direction is cloud, however it is my understanding that templates for Content Types is still supported. So it make me wonder why it was removed in the first place. Perhaps it was to do with mobile? Really I struggle to see who would complete a word document on a mobile phone. Thinking about a tablet, well that should still have enough room to display utilise this functionality.

Look forward to receiving some feedback.

• Alan C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS - Just how long is it that you need to consider the return of this function to Word? We who are at the sharp end of trying to manage the mess you have made by removing this, are fed up!

The 'solution' you recommend doesn't work as you can't force people to fill in fields neither do the options for choice etc work. If anything should encourage you to think again, it surely should be when a user as prestigious as Volvo feel that this is a 'major concern'.

How many more companies do you need to have say 'we are reverting to an earlier version of office' or ' this brings into jeopardy our Office 2016 upgrade'?

COME ON MICROSOFT!!! Do the right thing and restore the Doc Info Panel. Just do it and stop messing around.

Alan C.

• Jari Ivanoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Volvo Cars use this for a lot of functionality in interaction with SharePoint.
        I am the application manager for Office for VCC globally and I have received questions about this from our pilots for 2016, and it will be a major concern and perhaps even a showstopper for an upgrade to 2016.

• Diego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very important, we used this functionality to put document information in templates that are attached to an approval workflow. I don't understand why you remove this feature!

Feedback and Knowledge Base