Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Missing "Document panel" in Word 2016

In Word 2016 I'm missing the "Document panel" This was something that was made available when enabling "Developer" i Word 2013
We use this a lot when opening Word letters from Sharepoint to enter data into field.

692 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

302 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • vin pathak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Editting metadata in 'advanced properties' seems to break for me when trying to a library with multiple content types. all properties are blank and grayed out, so i cannot edit them. but the document wont save because these are mandatory.
        heavily broken.

just realised my issues are the same as Adam Spencer - i feel your pain.

• Paul Bullock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is used a lot with my clients, as it is required to help manage the documents and metadata, this will be most painful for the end users and an adoption killer for the Office 2016.

Being depreciated (not removed), does that mean there is a hidden way to reinstate this?

• Adam Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use SharePoint Online libraries a fair bit with customised required fields as part of our Document Management System, and since upgrading to Office 2016, I've noticed that there is no longer a Document Information Panel which prompts the user for these fields.

I am aware that the Document Information Panel was depreciated in Office 2016, however this is preventing our documents from saving to SharePoint online. If I create a new document and try to save it to SharePoint Online, it tells me that the file cannot be saved because some properties are missing or invalid.

But when I click on "Go to Document Properties", i am unable to see the required properties on SharePoint Online. There are some blank, unlabelled fields, but i cannot see what they are, and some of the required fields are list selections or metadata, not text entries.

This feature is critical to our use of Office and SharePoint Online, so until this can be rectified, we have had to (painfully) revert back to Office 2013 which allows a Document Information Panel to be displayed and connection to SharePoint Online for the fields.

• Scott Joyner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the previous - this will create major headaches for any company trying to enforce property data entry. Our standard is to open the DIP when saving so the users can easily see what's required and what's optional. Hiding the DIP and making uses go to the backstage will sabotage a company's efforts to enforce some semblance of document management. Bad, Bad Move Microsoft!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use SP Online and have some required metadata fields.
        If I save a document using Word 2016 an error pops up: "This document is missing some required properties" (translated from dutch). But since there is no DIP I can not enter the properties. This means Office 2016 can not be deployed since no documents can be saved to SharePoint Online.
        Nice testing Microsoft!!!

• Cristi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a very stupid ideea to remove DIP! Very unfortunate! How to enter metadata in SharePoint without this feature? Please bring it back ASAP!

• Simon Hud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The covert removal of the DIP is a major issue. We have spent 5 years convincing users to enter metadata and shown how easy it is to do that from the DIP, whilst working on the body of the document. Removal of this feature totally undermines a robust metadata strategy.
        As it stands, we are going to have to advise our users and staff to avoid upgrading to Office 2016 until this is fixed as it will negatively impact their user adoption.

• Douglas Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put DIP back in Office 2016! Many document management solutions are depending on data in DIP. Info > Show all properties is not easy enough.

• Douglas Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But the DIP back in Office 2016 when checking "Show DIP" in the content type. Many solutions are depending on DIP and won't work with O2016

• Jake Hätinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without Document Information Panel, metadata will be rendered useless in SharePoint document handling. This blocks update 2013->2016 for many companies.

• Nate Wielgosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute must have. Without it, a huge portion of our productivity savings and user adoption will come to a hault! Bring it back ASAP!!

• Darren Hemming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key functionality for document management. In SharePoint 2007 and the Office suite Microsoft created a cohesive product set which allowed enterprise metadata to be created and managed seamlessly between products. No doubt you remember "good, better; best"? Now this latest version of Office has taken a step back to 2003. Above all, it forces office workers who would previously have relied on a familiar Word/Excel/PowerPoint interface to use the SharePoint UI or an arcane panel under Office's Info tab to fill in their enterprise metadata. I understand the argument that the DIP was exposed differently in different applications, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Both SharePoint and Office are Microsoft products, so it's within the realms of possibility to make all those elements work together consistently. Managed Metadata sync was too big a challenge for InfoPath, but the devs already had that sorted for core Office. In my ideal world, Office Web Apps would also have the DIP as part of their 'full fidelity' editing ethos, but surely the Office client is the point below which we cannot let ourselves sink.

• Sherry Kappel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A critical capability, indeed! If this panel has been deprecated, is something else proposed as a substitution?

• Rob Burger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely vital in our company for both Word and Excel. Unfortunately, there is also a catch-22 situation with the new "workaround" suggested by Microsoft to use Backstage to set metadata properties: specifically for Lookup fields that come from SharePoint lists, there is a new button to select the metadata from a popup in Backstage. The problem is, the document needs to be saved for the popup window to appear and if the field is a required field, you cannot save the document. Additionally, the button doesn't work for macro-enabled documents (.xlsm or .docm) There are no errors or any visual clues to indicate a problem; clicking on the button simply does absolutely nothing... (I'll be raising that separately as a bug though.)

Until these issues are resolved, we can't upgrade any of our users to Office 2016.

Removing the DIP in 2016 is going to cause many issues for anyone who is thinking about upgrading. The DIP was a very important piece when using content types within SharePoint all the way up to the 2013 version. The DIP was used as a quick way to get relevant information pushed to SharePoint so that business processes could be managed better. Removal of the DIP is going to now force companies to not upgrade and also force them to start looking for other solutions for EDM/ECM where they were using SharePoint. The DIP is a very important cog in the overall usability of SharePoint and office. By taking features away which allow end users to quickly fill out pertinent information will now cause IT departments to look for other software alternatives which will in turn cause SharePoint to be used less.

the document information panel needs to be in Office 2016 - should not be deprecated. This will be a show stopper for forms online and upgrading will be on hold indefinitely for many companies.

There can be no question about it: the document information panel needs to be reintroduced in Office 2016 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint..., the lot) and quick.

Most of our document flows crucially depend on users updating the status of their document. The document information panel made sure they did this, because it was staring them in the face. Now it's all backstage. Hard to find and several mouseclicks away.

Why ever did Microsoft do this?

• Andrew Bragan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a whole host of templates which automatically open the Document Information Panel (DIP) when a new document is created. Some of the fields are built-in and some are custom ones derived from our SharePoint library. Regardless, the DIP allows users to quickly enter meta data which is reused in Content Controls throughout the documents. Further, when documents are uploaded to the SharePoint library, the data in these fields is shown in the library list view.

Not having the DIP open automatically when a document is created - or even being able to open it manually is going to be a real problem for us.

Please reintroduce this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base