How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Missing "Document panel" in Word 2016

In Word 2016 I'm missing the "Document panel" This was something that was made available when enabling "Developer" i Word 2013
We use this a lot when opening Word letters from Sharepoint to enter data into field.

639 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

262 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Bragan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m hoping that this is a work in progress because at the very least the final solution needs to behave like the DIP did in Office 2013.

As I noted in my first post back in 2015, the original DIP allowed the use of standalone templates i.e. not hosted on SP. These were used to create new documents that immediately opened the DIP, which allowed users to quickly enter metadata that was reused in Content Controls throughout the documents. Further, when documents were uploaded to the SharePoint library, the data in these fields was shown in the library list view.

With version 1710 (Build 8625.2121) this is not happening. When using a standalone template, the DIP does not seem to be supported. Clicking on View Tab>SharePoint Group>Properties just takes me Backstage.

Admittedly, the DIP is available when opening a document from an SP library, but it must be done manually and is very slow to open. The Subject field does seem to be broken however, as when the document is saved back to the SP library the content of this field is not uploaded.

Unlike the Title field, there appears to be no link between the SP Subject field and the Document Subject field.

• Randy Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Office 2016, with removal of the Document Information Panel (DIP) and the ability to use InfoPath to customize the DIP, we lost a great deal of control, function and flexibility for leveraging data across SharePoint lists, and for customizing the properties and metadata that we need to have associated with our SP documents. Our organization relied on a customizable DIP in very substantial ways. It was good to see Microsoft finally respond with plans for a replacement. However, so far, the solution is sorely lacking in the following ways:

1. The document properties panel does not open upon creating a new document from a SharePoint library. This is the case even when enabling the SP content type setting to have it do so. The document first must be saved to open the panel. This causes a conflict if a SP property column is set to “required”. The document will not save to the library because the required property is missing. To make matters worse after the save is attempted, the panel will appear, but it shows “No SharePoint properties found”. This leaves the user without the ability to enter the required property and stuck not knowing what to do next.

2. As is, SharePoint Lookup columns are a poor substitute to using InfoPath for creating connections to SP lists. The list and the library must reside on the same subsite. Lookup columns cannot be set on lists on another subsite in the same site collection. This forces large lists and large libraries to reside on the same subsite.

3. Lookup columns cannot be configured to filter data, or include other data from other fields in a list based on selections made in linked fields. This functionality may never be possible with SP lookup columns, but if the other issues listed here are not addressed, the lookup column will be useless and render the new document properties panel pointless for us.

4. When a property is derived from a lookup column, the actual contents from the SP list column (e.g., all client names) will appear in the properties panel as choices in the dropdown control. So, if I select Jane Doe, “Jane Doe” appears in the dropdown control in the panel. However, if I use Quick Parts to insert that same document property into the document itself, it returns the list item ID number (e.g., it returns “234”, which is Jane Doe’s item ID number in the SP list). That is not useful if I have a Word template that uses the document properties for composition purposes.

5. Even when a lookup column is set in SP to include other columns (fields) from a SP list, those additional columns are not included in the SP properties panel in Word. But, what’s worse is they are not included as document properties in the Quick Part fields in Word. (The associated columns show in the SP library, but not in the SharePoint properties of the document itself.)

6. We need to have all of the associated lookup fields available as document properties while creating documents based on SP content type templates. For example, if I’m composing a form letter, and I pick the client “Jane Doe” from my SP properties list, I will also want her location, classification, date of last contact, etc. to be included in my document properties so I can insert them into the document and include them as SP metadata.

Thanks for listening.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the latest build and it still doesn't work with a new document.
        Shows "No SharePoint properties found"
        Can't change the properties for a lookup field since "show information" doesen't work.

• Lawrence Dwight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any documentation on this? I have the panel, but it says "No SharePoint properties found". What do we need to do on the tenant side for this to work?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We tried the new solution and while it looked nice with at form on the right of the document in Word it totally missed the mark. Here is why:
        • It only works in Word and with SharePoint online
        • The form cannot be shown before the document is saved which makes it useless since the ability to fill in metadata as you save a document for the first time is most of the point of the DIP. Also this makes it impossible to save a document if there is a required field.
        • The form does not appear automatically on a new document (well how could it when it can’t even show if the document haven’t been saved).

I am trying to access an older Word document. Although I can open it in Word 2016, part of the table is missing. What can I do to get the text contained in that part back?

• Scott Joyner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The was functioning briefly this week and now seems to be turned off. I have the ability to view the new document panel, but it is not showing the SharePoint properties assigned via the associated content type. Also the AutoSave button in the quick access tool bar is greyed out and it says it is 'not available'. Any thoughts on when this will be working again? I'm on version 1709 Build 8528.2139 Monthly Channel

I need the possibility to directly access the extended property panel via the customized panel. Importing the "Wordxxx.exportedUI" from word 2010 doesn't work. This is really a downgrade of functionality!

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently saw this functionality live - multi person and managed metadata fields supported! Cannot find the property button myself though, probably not in my tenant...

• Marc Grocott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...Any updates on the DIP solution/lookup values not opening unless the file is saved (no good if the lookup values are mandatory upon creating a new document)

when i save a document it dose not go to my documents and get saved i have to spend an hour trying to find it and then drag it into my domuments this only started on the last update on 20th Sept 2017

• Kevin Copeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any additional details on what "We’re happy to announce we’ve commenced work on a new feature in Word to support SharePoint properties management." changes will be?

Also has the bug related to SharePoint Lookup values used in Metadata been reported? When trying to update I the File->Info section you select the value but what is returned to the Quick part is not the value selected but some ID (this was not an issue in Word 2010 or 2013 and was introduced most likely with the 2016 changes that were made)

• Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to hear that you're going to provide a solution for the DIP. But when will it be available?
        We can't rollout Office 2016 with the DIP missing

• J. L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally an entire year and some new news from you guys. Please keep it consistent with all the other office applications like how it currently works now please! When will this be out? We are still holding on upgrading until this is resolved.

• Thaddeus Ferber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scientists have recently confirmed that the recent 3.2 magnitude earthquake was, in fact, caused by Microsoft customers around the world doing simultaneous backflips upon learning of this announcement.

I for one will finally be able to transition our company from file shares to SharePoint document libraries – a transition that was initiated but then rescinded once Office 2016 rolled out with too many steps required to tag documents with managed metadata.

Now that you have taken it up, would it be helpful for the Microsoft community to provide additional information about our requirements and hopes for your implementation of this feature?

I’ll kick it off with some thoughts below.
        • In short: It should pretty much look and work the same as the SharePoint Online Modern Document Library details pane works.

More specifically:
        • It should take the user as few clicks as possible to view and edit the metadata (after all, this is largely a fix from having to click on File tab, show all properties). Ideally it would be set up as a pane (user interface panel) on the right side of a Microsoft Word document. While viewing and editing a document, users should be able to toggle the properties interface on and off. They should also be able to set an option for whether the properties interface appears by default or not when they open the desktop Word application.
        • Anytime you save or check in a document to a SharePoint document library, the properties metadata pane should appear (with properties required by the document library visually highlighted in some way), giving the user a chance to edit the metadata, and then click “OK” to complete the save/check-in.
        • A SharePoint administrator should be able to control which properties appear in the interface.
        • It should use the same interface to view and edit standard properties alongside of custom managed metadata.
        • It should allow you to check in/check out a document from the same interface.
        • It should allow you to “type-ahead” into a text box to find the right metadata term, AND it should give you a browse button to pull up your metadata tree to find items that way. The UX Word 2013 has for managed metadata vis a vis its Document Information Panel is better in this regard to the SharePoint modern document library properties panel because it provides both type ahead and metadata tree options.
        • It should allow you to add new SharePoint managed metadata terms (if the term set is open to user contributions). This UX that Word 2013 has for managed metadata vis a vis its Document Information Panel is better in this regard to the SharePoint modern document library properties panel as well.

In terms of consistency of user experience:
        • It should work the same for all Office apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
        • It should work the same for desktop apps and 365 apps.
        • It should work the same for documents that are created when you click on the new button on the Word desktop app, on the Word 365 app, and on SharePoint.
        • It should work for documents that use a customized template and those that do not.
        • It should work for both documents that you SharePoint managed metadata and those that do not.

OK Microsoft community, consider the gauntlet thrown. Add your own comments for how you hope this feature will work.

Thaddeus

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base