Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Missing "Document panel" in Word 2016

In Word 2016 I'm missing the "Document panel" This was something that was made available when enabling "Developer" i Word 2013
We use this a lot when opening Word letters from Sharepoint to enter data into field.

690 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

303 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's with the daft 'alternative expression' survey I was recently sent as a result of following this this issue?
        I just want a functional document properties panel!

agree this is needed - used it all the time prior to installing 2016 - bring it back

• Ray Boone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It showed up for me. In Word 2016, if I open the document from SharePoint in Word, I can now go to the "View" tab in the ribbon. On the far right, I have a SharePoint Properties tab.

If the goal is to discourage on Prem SP use with Office products, this is one of the better solutions. How are we gracefully going to get users to fill in SP DL required fields when they have to go to another screen and sort through a long list of document properties to find the couple of fields they are looking for. I have enough trouble getting my users to use SharePoint, this isn't helping. If your goal is to drive us online, we will probably go with someone else.

'Completed'???
        How about some information on where we find the missing 'Document panel' that is apparently missing no longer?

Pages keep disappearing from the table that I am trying to make. All I am doing is drawing lines between text. Once again, Word attempts to steal an afternoon from me.

• Les commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was using that.

"Where is the Document Information Panel in Office 2016?
        Applies To: Excel for Office 365 Word for Office 365 PowerPoint for Office 365 More...

The Document Information Panel has been removed in Office 2016 applications. "

Just because developers don't know what it is for, does not mean we don't use it. Honestly, between feature removals from Word and Visio it appears that I am never going to upgrade from Office 2003.

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the document information panel and bring back a field for SP lookup fields that allow multiple values! The warning in "edit column" in SP states that EARLIER versions of client programs may not support this feature, not NEW versions that have been created by the same company. If there's a fix, please let me know!

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the KB4011671 for Word 2016 and the April update for SharePoint 2016 we managed to get the new DIP to sort of work in SharePoint 2016 On-Premises after using the hack shown in this YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLCtZ-LG5aU&feature=youtu.be

A form that can be used to edit meta data can be shown in Word, meta data can be edited as long as the document is already saved once. From what I can gather the behavior of the new DIP and the problems that still remains (described below) seems to be the same as in the On Line version.

Major problems remaining
        - The DIP cannot be shown and edited before the document is saved
        - Fields created with a Swedish special character (å,ä,ö) and probably other special characters as well, does not work. It doesn’t matter if the field is renamed, it still doesn’t work. It works if the field is created without the special character and then renamed to something using å,ä,ö. so it seem to has something to do with the internal name of the field.
        - It only works in Word

Minor problems remaining
        - The formatting of the form (see the video)
        - The form does not open automatically when a new or existing document is opened even if it is specified to do so in SharePoint.

• J. L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update? I heard this only works for SPO. We have SPO and an on premise environment. We're stuck on Office 2010 until we get a DIP.

• PleaseGiveUsDIP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The KB4011671 did come with a new feature to the "MSI version" of Word 2016.
        The new feature works with documents from Sharepoint Online.

When we first tried documents from our Sharepoint 2016 environment we got the message that our Sharepoint installation dont support the feature.
        But after we updated our Sharepoint 2016 environment with the latest updates, we got another result.

Now we can se all the list properties from Sharepoint in Word 2016 in the new feature.
        But the feature didn't retrieve any data for each field. They are all blank.
        And when we tried to change the data from the new Word feature, it didn't update och saved anything in Sharepoint.

So... it dosn't work yet for Sharepoint Onprem but it seems like they are working on it.

It would be nice with some communication from Microsoft where they are going with this!

• AKarimian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft released an update for 2016 office that stated the following:

"This update enables the Document Information Panel feature in Office 2016. After you install this update, you can update the SharePoint and document properties of an Office document by selecting the View tab, and then clicking the Properties button that will open the Properties panel."
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011671/march-6-2018-update-for-office-2016-kb4011671
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011729/march-6-2018-update-for-office-2016-kb4011729

Has anyone been able to get it to show? We have been unsuccessful.

• Clippy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Microsoft are too lazy to provide an update and everyone here is in the same boat my organisation was in, I will summarize & paraphrase what our Microsoft account manager told us. This is based on information provided to him internally, valid as of March 2018.

There is no further development taking place on this, and there are no current plans to bring it to Office 2016. Essentially, using Office 2016 means settling for File > Info > Properties, buying a 3rd party product, or developing a custom solution.

My personal opinion is that this is a ham-fisted attempt to move people to O365 but I don't know why Microsoft doesn't simply update the answer instead of leaving everyone guessing, in some cases deferring upgrades. To say their handing of this has been unhelpful is an understatement.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base