Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Bring back "classic" text boundaries

Yes, we've been told that the display of text boundaries in Word 2013 (and I assume 2016 as well) is the result of the new layout engine, that the old text boundaries were really a "mistake" and should not have been relied upon, but thousands of users did rely on them and prefer them. If this idea receives a large number of votes, perhaps it will create a groundswell.

940 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

773 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back text/page boundaries, why you change something so useful? is it update to make it better not worst.

• Lois B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back text boundaries as there were in 2010. I've uninstalled 2016 3 times because of the text boundaries and am about to uninstall for the 4th time. I just do not like the boundaries around the paragraph. Makes it difficult to edit.

• JaviAl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for a fix of this until upgrade my Office 2010. I don't care about the support finish of Office 2010 if this is not fixed. This is most important to me in a product without support than a product with support with less features like this. I also think that things like this tolds about the bad quality and support from Microsoft and i'm not really care if my Office 2010 lost support from Microsoft.

• Felipe de Aquino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft! Could you please bring my boundaries back to original way, showing the page boundaries? I would much appreciate!

• HGT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even after several years, it still annoys me that I can not show the page boundaries in Word for Windows. It can not be that hard to implement this useful option, even though it has existed for years.

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo all those who want the prior version of "Show Text Boundaries" as an option in Word 2019 so that only the page margins are shown vs all paragraph margins. As configured, the boundaries create a very messy page to view and edit, particularly if one is creating a list as every line on the page is then "underlined." I like the text boundaries to show only the page margins because that was very helpful when adjusting margins to accommodate textual needs and appearances. It looks like MS has had this under review for almost four years which gives very little comfort it will respond to our concerns. Please give us the option to go back the way it was.

• Jenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The old text boundaries (i.e., the "margin lines") were crucial -- please actually listen to your users and bring them back!

I'm a writer and editor and those old text boundaries were vital to correct positioning for both text and graphics. The "new" boundaries are intrusive and unwieldy. Please, please, bring them back!

• D. Dwyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care that "I was using it incorrectly" it made it extremely easy to position graphics and tables. The current method around each paragraph and wrapped to the paragraph makes it impossible to read and work in the document.

I refuse to use any version of Microsoft office after 2013. Ribbons are unwieldy. No page borders are stupid. I guess the Microsoft programmers have no common sense.

Practical user

• Randall Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just switched from Office 2010 and am disappointed that this is gone. I am surprised it was never intended to be a feature, because it so immensely useful as previously implemented. It hit the Goldilocks spot - showing no borders feels to me like too little, showing the border around every paragraph is too much, but displaying the margins is just right. This change is a step backwards in usability.

Agree with the other commenters - Just started O365 and this is awful. I want to see the page margins only, not lines between every paragraph.

Word Programmers -

Truth is, your UX team screwed up; did not understand the user community and then your coders compounded the problem

We need the text boundary feature as it was prior to 2013

Good to see that this voting is still going strong. Add one vote for me. Just started using Office 365 and am disappointed at this change.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39

Feedback and Knowledge Base