Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Navigation pane size

In the latest iteration of 365, the navigation pane opens to a pre-set size that the user cannot change. Until recently, Word would use the size last used by the user.

See this thread on the answers forum (one of several about this)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-2016-navigation-pane-size-is-not-remembered/eb9542e4-e8aa-4d03-b95b-78a7326b15c9

13 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charles Kenyon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new enormous navigation pane slows me down when working on a document, especially when I am proofreading two documents side by side on the screen. After opening each file and pressing Ctrl_F I have to stop, carefully manoeuvre the mouse onto the border of the navigation pane, and drag it out of the way because it actually hides nearly half of my document. The navigation pane is a tool, and tools should keep out of the way, not sprawl all over one's work.
    As many people have pointed out, it does NOT remembers the size I reduce it to. Every single time I open Word again, when I press Ctrl_F the navigation pane will open big again, which on my monitor is 9.7 cm or just under 4 inches across. It doesn't matter that I close each file with the navigation pane at minimum size: it will re-open at this obese size next time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base