Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow use of old Spell Check dialog in Word 2016 and later

62 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charles Kenyon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ned commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more voice requesting a move back to the former spell check. The inability to check a selection is maddening, as is the extraordinary amount of time it takes to check a document. When editing a long document, I've resorted to blocking and copying new text, opening a new document, pasting the text there, and spell checking that shorter excerpt. What a pain. C'mon, Microsoft. Admit you've blown it with this change and give your customers what we want (not that anyone from Microsoft actually a) reads comments online and b) acts on them).

• Tom Cleff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just put the application back to the way it was. There was no reason to remove something that actually helped and worked throughout the many uses it applied itself to. This is a no brainer. Put it back !!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please bring back the spell check option for selected text only. This update makes zero sense.

• Roberta Metalious commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't it amazing how Microsoft has not responded to any of this!!!! I'm pretty sure I'll be discontinuing my Office 365 subscription.

• Kristi Hein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just purchased Office 2019 on my new PC. I've been alerted by my editing colleagues that I may be facing this new nightmare. A few years ago, someone at Microsoft asked a leading editor to gather colleagues' suggestions for improvements to Word. The suggestions came flooding in, and she passed them along. Instead of responding to actual user requests, you do something like this. I am dreading what I'll find in Word 2019. Fortunately, I still have good ol' Word 2007 on my old system . . . if it comes to that.

• Kim Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please return to the old spellcheck. I type for a living, and get paid by the word. This new "editor" is horrible, and slows the process down substantially. Not impressed.

Please, bring back the old spell check! It was quick and easy. I'm a professional editor, and your "editor" costs me time and money because it gets in the way of my work.

I've just been saddled with the Editor function, and it is awful. I'm a professional editor, and all I need is to quickly run spell check at the end of a job to check for anything basic I might have missed. What I don't need is to sit in front of my screen for ten minutes while Editor scans my document, before giving up in frustration. Please please please restore the old spell check!

This version slows me down! I am a professional translator and Word is absolutely necessary for my work. The new spellchecker hampers my work.

1. I do not need the spellchecker to check the whole document when I press F7. I want it to start checking at the cursor position. When the spellchecker runs, it should place the cursor on a word with an error. I shouldn't have to use more clicks just to edit the mistake

2. I use up to four custom dictionaries when spellchecking a document: (a) Custom.dic, for words that are correct in any of my languages; (b) English.dic or Spanish.dic, for words that are correct in one of those languages but not the other, (c) a regional dictionaries, for words that are correct in Mexico but not in Colombia or Venezuela, for example, and (d) Local.dic, for terms that may be needed on a current project but which I do not want to add to any of the other dictionaries.

There's more, but these are enough to send this feedback.

• urmum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead Of:
        Word.Document.Dialogs(wdDialogToolsSpellingAndGrammar).Show

Use:
        Word.Document.CheckSpelling

• Phil Daniels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the Editor pane's overall design, but, but, but... it should not be less functional than the dialogue window it has replaced... which it clearly is, nor should it be any less efficient which it clearly is.

I want to do spell check and a grammar check independently of one another.

And make small corrections in the Editor pane.

And have ignore once in right click menu on a misspelt (red underlined) word.

You change the icons on the ribbon that people do not want and now the spellchecker. Bring back the old version....why do you people keep making changes to something that works better without the changes that you have made!!!! What is the point of you asking us how to improve Word when you don't listen and do nothing to fix your stuff ups!

If Microsoft is not going to fix this, please let us know. We have all the old copies of 2010, 2013 and 2016 Office. we can dump Office 365 at our office and move backwords to old Word. What we lose in the 365 features we more than gain in time gained by getting rid of the spellchecker fiasco that Microsoft has created here.

Bring back old spell check
        This new one is designed by people who do not write for a living.
        BRING BACK "Alt" "T" "S"; "Alt" "I"; "Alt" "C" to the spell checker. Spell checker in 2010 - 2013 was better!

This new editor is just awful. Microsoft should be ashamed

• App Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone have any ideas how to get the old dialog back or a work around to be able to call it from a Microsoft VB6 form?

We have a VB6 application that uses it, but the call to Dialogs(wdDialogToolsSpellingAndGrammar).Show no longer works with Word Version 1812

• Linda Ingmanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding my vote to returning to the old spell check. The new one is clunky and laborious. If I have to back out of the document to go look up a spelling on Google (such as a celebrity name), I have to start the **** spell check all over again. I have a fast laptop, and it can still take minutes to finish. Why did they make this dumb change?

• Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to what @Zoophytes commented.

Upon opening, the editor pane allows shortcuts. However, if there's an egregious spelling change that requires you to click into the body of the document, the keyboard shortcuts no longer function, even after clicking back into the editor pane. You then have to use your mouse to manually click each option. (Very bad.)

I do a massive amount of document editing, and the editor pane dramatically slows that process.

Justice for spell check!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base