Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow use of old Spell Check dialog in Word 2016 and later

9 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charles Kenyon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The present editor pane needs an option that turns off grammar check, at the bare minimum. The new grammar check is good but very slow, and for many users will not be necessary. Running a spell check should not take 30s plus for longer documents.

Microsoft have unfortunately made a core feature of the programme significantly worse by applying machine learning in an inappropriate way. Give users the option to turn off the more complex and system intensive grammar check. Removing options from users is not improving user experience.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely someone senior in Microsoft must hate it as much as I do. Please just give those of us who don't do macros the choice. I can't even imagine why it was changed.

• RW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lots to complain about with the Editor pane, but the main things are - the lack of an Undo feature (a complete deal-breaker - renders the tool far far less useful) and the difficulty/inconsistency with which one can get focus on the pane in order to use keyboard shortcuts.
        FWIW I can't get the old dialog through VBA on Release 1810.

• Kane Gilmour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The macro is *not* working on all versions or across both Office Personal versus Office ProPlus. And a Macro shouldn't be needed in the first place. Restore the older spell check. It worked and well. The new editor is slow as molasses. The Thread Charles posted illustrates that despite Stafan Blom's attempts to help, it's not working for all users.

• Charles Kenyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The following macro by Stafan Blom appears to be working now. Release 1810.

Sub DisplayTraditionalSpellCheckDialog()
        Dialogs(wdDialogToolsSpellingAndGrammar).Show
        End Sub

It can be attached to a keyboard shortcut.

• Simeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This change is appalling. The inability to remove it easily and revent back to the previous system is causing most in my office to dig out old laptops that didn't get the latest upgrade. Please provide an option to remove the editor pane as a default and revert to the previous spell check system,

Feedback and Knowledge Base