Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Allow use of old Spell Check dialog in Word 2016 and later

89 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Charles Kenyon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, add an option, this is obvious and simple. The spell check "improvement" is grossly hideous, just awful, more clicks, more work, with way too much useless information now in the way of what close to 100% of the time is and should remain a simple and easy task, correcting a misspelled word. Here, I am sure, is the root of the problem, and I offer a solution. Many of your tech and business experienced users know and understand that you employ 100s, probably 1000s, of programmers who institutionally must justify their jobs by finding "improvements." And, of course, in most organizations, the review process to approve and prioritize "improvements," is conducted by ex-programmer managers with the same institutional bias and necessity. To ameliorate this, for the sake of users and the company's reputation, you could ensure that decision-making personnel are evaluated and rewarded with job security and benefits by rejecting instead of perpetuating "improvements" that are anywhere near as stupid and unnecessary as this new spell check. But you obviously don't have that organizational wisdom, yet, so here's plan B: have some of your programmers put in an option, so users can use choose to use the classic, easy, good old spell check, instead of the new stupid one. It's a win-win! Users get to choose a good, simple easy spell check, and some programmers get to stay busy by continuing to "improve" the new stupid spell check system, AND making sure the fine old one stays compatible with various other unnecessary under-the-hood "improvements" programmers with too much time will still be making to your software. Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone. Look, knuckleheads - make it an option. This is why other software will take over - the customer is always right. This new version is terrible. Huge step backward.

• Peter Mokover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re: The new style spell checker in Word:

1. It's significantly slower. It appears to check the entire document before it displays results including a count of the number of errors. The older version of the spell checker stopped on each misspelled word as it found it. The entire process is now much slower.

2. Even though I have every setting pertaining to grammar checking turned OFF it shows a grammar error count right below the spelling error count.

Please, at least give the option to use the old style spell checker.

Thanks.

This is ridiculous, I need to highlight sections at a time to check the Flesh Kincaid level as I am in clinical research. I hope this gets fixed soon. Ridiculous!!!

• Winnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE, I beg of you, allow spellcheck to check selected/highlighted text - not just the entire document. I used to use this function 100 times/day. I feel like a cat without claws having to work with this clumsy, frustrating, time-wasting, nonsensical update. THANK YOU.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new version is so clunky and unhelpful, please bring back the old style - or at least an option to work with either!

• Donald Gunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. Being able to check only selected text and having the "ignore once" option on only one click are no-brainers. LISTEN AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

• K. Howe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new spellchecker is a disaster. I used to check selected text many times every day, and I have no interest in a count of spelling "mistakes" that WORD thinks it's found.

• Charles Kenyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've discovered a macro that works.

See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-msoversion_other/classic-spell-check-dialog-not-editor-macro-to-use/a53fff0c-f15d-4150-95d6-1724c6ddca91?tm=1551195593112

Sub SpellCheckDocumentClassic()
    'Charles Kenyon 26 February 2019
    Selection.range.CheckSpelling
    Selection.range.CheckGrammar
    End Sub

This is working as of today in Version 1901.

• Ned commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more voice requesting a move back to the former spell check. The inability to check a selection is maddening, as is the extraordinary amount of time it takes to check a document. When editing a long document, I've resorted to blocking and copying new text, opening a new document, pasting the text there, and spell checking that shorter excerpt. What a pain. C'mon, Microsoft. Admit you've blown it with this change and give your customers what we want (not that anyone from Microsoft actually a) reads comments online and b) acts on them).

• Tom Cleff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just put the application back to the way it was. There was no reason to remove something that actually helped and worked throughout the many uses it applied itself to. This is a no brainer. Put it back !!!!!

Please, please bring back the spell check option for selected text only. This update makes zero sense.

• Roberta Metalious commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't it amazing how Microsoft has not responded to any of this!!!! I'm pretty sure I'll be discontinuing my Office 365 subscription.

• Kristi Hein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just purchased Office 2019 on my new PC. I've been alerted by my editing colleagues that I may be facing this new nightmare. A few years ago, someone at Microsoft asked a leading editor to gather colleagues' suggestions for improvements to Word. The suggestions came flooding in, and she passed them along. Instead of responding to actual user requests, you do something like this. I am dreading what I'll find in Word 2019. Fortunately, I still have good ol' Word 2007 on my old system . . . if it comes to that.

• Kim Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please return to the old spellcheck. I type for a living, and get paid by the word. This new "editor" is horrible, and slows the process down substantially. Not impressed.

Please, bring back the old spell check! It was quick and easy. I'm a professional editor, and your "editor" costs me time and money because it gets in the way of my work.

I've just been saddled with the Editor function, and it is awful. I'm a professional editor, and all I need is to quickly run spell check at the end of a job to check for anything basic I might have missed. What I don't need is to sit in front of my screen for ten minutes while Editor scans my document, before giving up in frustration. Please please please restore the old spell check!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base