Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Comments

I work with long documents - novel length - and need to number all Comments in the review section. It' s a stupid idea not to have this facility as in previous Word versions. Is there a way to get these numbers back - on screen!

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

David Gilman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This changing numbers inline does not work with the document of OTHERS that you would edit. MS needs to bring this feature back to have a professional grade word processor, otherwise this is nothing more than a BASIC text editor you would get for free online.

• Lisa Wilke-Thissen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe, MS will bring back that feature...
        Meanwhile you can use a different view: Show All Changes Inline
        Then all comments show a number.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would NOT like to see this numbering come back--I hated it. I have to say that is one of the few things I like better in Word 2016 as opposed to Word 2010. The numbering in the comments used to drive me crazy because comments renumbered every time one was deleted. Authors would reply to me in a separate list based on comment number xxx, but by the time I was looking at that and had done revisions earlier in a document, the comments would now no longer bear that same number, so I never had any idea what they were referring to.

Feedback and Knowledge Base