How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Read aloud in other than English language

Only 5.85% of population is "reading and writing" in English, so Im asking you to get BIG focus to get functional Windows 8.1 Operating System Language Pack + Word 2016 Read aloud combination for proofing&reading the text in Word 2016 in all major languages including Finnish.

Your action to get this task on the development list would be very much alligned with your own strategy and also with United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRDP).

ALTOUGH the United States of the America has still not ratified the convention while Angola, Tanzania and other 3rd world countires has.

The functionality is essential not only for disabled people to access and proof the text, but also for editors.

14 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sami SalamiSami Salami shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Word Product Team [MSFT]AdminWord Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Read aloud reads text in the default speech language of your operating system. For information on how to add additional text-to-speech voices see, How to download Text-To-Speech languages for Windows: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-download-TextToSpeech-languages-for-Windows-4c83a8d8-7486-42f7-8e46-2b0fdf753130. If this functionality still does not meet your needs please let us know. Help on Learning Tools in Word can be accessed via Learning Tools in Word: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learning-Tools-in-Word-29efa413-e2da-4cac-b2a5-2defc6d34fd9.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DigbyDigby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would be great if you could add this.
        I am English, but I edit books in French and German
        Also you should look at putting the Text to Speech feature as part of Word when first set up.
        At present not many people would know that the function even exists, let alone how to install it.

• S. WirkkalaS. Wirkkala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll agree. This new Word 2016 Learning Tool feature is already 10 years too late.

I need Spanish and Portuguese.

FYI Salami: 16% of world population can not read and write, so for sure, the feature would be good for them.

First those16% would have to sell 899 cattle to get entry level surface book pro 4, and 201 more to get office365.
        And before that, they need to solve a problem where to get 1099 cattle.

Feedback and Knowledge Base