How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Natural Gestures / Actions that Enable Copyediting Marks with Ink Editor

Natural gestures is a GREAT start, but please continue to expand the capabilities of ink editor. As an attorney I work in word nearly all day long. Ever since Microsoft released the surface pro, I've prayed for the ability to edit word files using copyediting marks and the pen.

Anyone who does editing of large word documents knows there is a big difference between editing text using the keyboard and track changes and editing text with a pen. That is why a lot of people, like attorneys, book editors, authors, etc. still print out their draft documents, mark them up with an ink pen using copyediting marks, and then go back and type their edits into word. This is an incredibly inelegant and inefficient process many have used for decades. Entire law firms are run based on these processes.

If lawyers, editors and authors could simply mark up an electronic word document using copyediting marks and have those edits saved as tracked changes, you could positively impact and change entire industries of professionals who work with word.

If this capability was introduced, I would buy everyone who works for me a surface pro the very next day.

Thank you

34 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

BillBill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Cliff BrooksCliff Brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bill, there was a program from a small company called "Jumping Minds Software" that plugged into Word and did just this...and it did it pretty well. It included ALL of the standard copyediting marks (for example, three lines under a character or word made it uppercase). I believe the developer passed away, and I don't know if anyone took up the mantle. Microsoft, this is a great start -- please add the rest of the copy editing marks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base