Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Add backward compatibility for Unicode fonts with PUA code points

As described on the following page: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=VendorUseOfPUA#14086407

Earlier versions of MS Word and supported Unicode fonts with Private Use Area code points. This allowed Thai, Hebrew and Arabic users to use fonts that were created with the old Unicode standard until Word 2010.

From Word 2013 onward, the rendering engine has been modified, and Word does not display the glyphs of fonts using PUA code points.

Documents created with these fonts are rendered with the system default font, but are printed with the correct glyphs.

For designers, consumers, businesses, schools and countless others, this means that they cannot use thousands of fonts they already bought over the years.

Note that all other MS Office applications, such as Excel and Publisher do not have this issue and all fonts are rendered properly.

This currently affects thousands of users around the world.

We call upon Microsoft to add backward compatibility in current and future versions of Word in order to support these fonts.

365 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Morris Koenig shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • חי commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, it is recommended to arrange the fonts by type or by lover and so on

• Elye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yisroel, correct, I just tested it on a new Windows 10 (Before installing 1703) and it does not yet show correctly over there.

• Elye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi.
        I worked with Microsoft on the issue on Windows 10. They did not yet tell me in which update the fix was implimented.
        Yisroel, can you please tell me:
        1. Which Windows version are you using?
        2. If you know which update contains the fix, can you please let me know.
        Thanks.

• Yisroel Adler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue was fortunately fixed by Microsoft! But they fixed it in Windows and not in Word...so...only Windows 10 users which update to the latest Windows 10 version (1703, aka Creators Update) will have this issue all fixed.

@Word Product Team, an official announcement about the fix (and if there are any plans to have a patch to fix on older Windows versuon too) would really be appriciated!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft - this is very important. We are very restricted with our fonts (word 2013) and I wanted to upgrade to 2016 but am unable to do so as I have heard that this problem is even worse there. My colleagues are also not upgrading for this reason nor many friends. For those who write in these languages this is a basic.

• Pinchas Neiman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, in the name of numerous others, typesetters, copywriters, graphicalists, teachers, secretaries, and more.
        Microsoft: we are waiting with ending eyes for an h=Hotfix.

Its impossible to work with the new word without the fonts!! PLEASE HELP ME OUT ASAP

• c. sil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its crazy I still use Microsoft 2010 because of the fonts, I would gladly upgrade if you please fix the problem with the fonts.

• chaim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everytime i want to use Hebrew i go to Photoshop and type the text there and i bring it in to word as a jpeg, i know this is crazy but thats my only solution, please fix this emergency, i cant use most of my Hebrew fonts

• Yoel S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is Ridiculous, i had to go back to word 2010 just for that,
        microsoft please fix this!!!!

• mayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upgraded to office 2016, and then had to go back to 2010 because all my worksheets that I use for teaching were affected by this problem with the Hebrew fonts. Please rectify this issue

This issue really affected me--I wrote an Arabic textbook and now I can't edit it! Hoping for attention to this problem.

i upgraded to 2013 the fonts are making a big problem, please fix.
        Thanks in advance

I upgraded to windows 2013 and then had to go back to 2010 because all my worksheets that I use for teaching were affected by this problem with the Hebrew fonts. Please rectify this issue

Oy vey, all my fonts are gone. Microsoft, I beg you, please help me work with my fonts in Office 13 and 16. Thank you

• Adar Sheini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since i upgrated to 2013 the fonts are making a big problem, please fix.
        Thanks in advance

I didn't upgrade my home PC to windows 10, because I'm afraid that Microsoft office 2010 won't work on windows 10, & a lot of my fonts don't work with the newer versions of Microsoft word.

Please fix this issue, so I'll be able to enjoy windows 10.

I upgraded to 2010. When I realized this problem, I uninstalled it and reverted to 2007. Please repair this problem so I should be able to use the updated version of Microsoft Office

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base