How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word randomly rescales equations and other embedded objects

Sometimes in a Word document containing several equations, after closing and re-opening Word, the equations have been randomly re-scaled. The proportions aren't off by more than a few percent, but it's noticeable. An example would be height & width of 97x101%, when of course the original was 100x100%. To be clear, this isn't with a specific version of WinWord, but it is specific to equations created MS Equation 3.0 and MathType -- IOW, equation objects. We've seen this happen with other objects too, primarily embedded Excel charts, so it does seem like it's Word causing the issue, and not Equation Editor, MathType, nor Excel or any other app.

68 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bob MathewsBob Mathews shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HarrysHarrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100% with the followng comment: I typeset large technical books with Word and MathType. After closing and re-opening files, the thousands of equations change size slightly and not only look ugly, but affect the layout of the text in detrimental ways (including changing where pages break). This is extremely severe and should be a top priority for fixing.

Over a year has passed since the problem has been submitted. "We’re reviewing your suggestion." is the best you can do?

You need to fix this problem asap because as a math teacher it messes up with all my math books. When will you fix this. Please answer

• Alexandros TheoAlexandros Theo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been working on a recent paper the last weeks. After I discovered this problem, Microsoft word is over for me!

• RogerRoger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been hoping with every new office release ove the last 20 years that glitches like this would be fixed - never happens. I keep thinking I should switch to Latex and never again be plagued by bugs in Word.

• DannyDanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone find any solutions? I found one: Uninstall Mathtype and Office, restart, then reinstall Office then Mathtype. This made the equations go back to normal for one user, but there's no telling when it will happen again.

• Tosh DemseyTosh Demsey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this problem ASAP. I am a high school math teacher and suddenly all the MathType equations in the thousands of Word documents that I have created are too large and won't print out in a way that is readable.

• Eric LengyelEric Lengyel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I typeset large technical books with Word and MathType. After closing and re-opening files, the thousands of equations change size slightly and not only look ugly, but affect the layout of the text in detrimental ways (including changing where pages break). This is extremely severe and should be a top priority for fixing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is very bad to writing a big document. Always need to resize almost all equations!
        Please fix it for us.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Word 2010 and MathType 6.9b and this random rescaling of the equations is extremely annoying. I keep fixing them, but they keep changing. Please fix this in Word and make my life much easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took me several precious hours on re-typing my dissertation thesis. It contains more than 200 pages and 300 equations. Wish I have decided to use Latex...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base