Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word randomly rescales equations and other embedded objects

Sometimes in a Word document containing several equations, after closing and re-opening Word, the equations have been randomly re-scaled. The proportions aren't off by more than a few percent, but it's noticeable. An example would be height & width of 97x101%, when of course the original was 100x100%. To be clear, this isn't with a specific version of WinWord, but it is specific to equations created MS Equation 3.0 and MathType -- IOW, equation objects. We've seen this happen with other objects too, primarily embedded Excel charts, so it does seem like it's Word causing the issue, and not Equation Editor, MathType, nor Excel or any other app.

177 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bob Mathews shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

80 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • E.Rougier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very serious and annoying issue for those of us using Word for scientific work! I really like Word's WYSIWYG approach, but this type of problem makes me seriously consider switching to using Latex instead.

• matrixbud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a document with about a thousand MathType equation objects. Word has played havoc, randomly changing equation sizes, making a total mess that is nearly impossible to fix. Moreover, if I fix it I fear the problem will reassert before I even finish the process.

I have a subscription to Word 365 and the latest MathType. Please fix this!!!!!!

• claire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pleasethis has been a very painful isue for me too. I appreciate your help

• Harrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Thanks for your feedback! We’re reviewing your suggestion." since 2017!!!!!!!!!

• Robert Thorne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please fix this bug.

Mathtype's equation editor continues to be much better than your built-in equation editor for physics equations. A very large fraction of us academic physics types who generate documents using Word (instead of latex) use Mathtype, and we have large archives of course notes, powerpoints, etc. that are being screwed up by this bug.

Don't you think it would be a better use of our time to be training more engineers and programmers for you to hire, instead of reformatting all of our equations every time we need to update and print a document?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word is useless: its hopeless for equations and MS doesn't give a hoot: They they pad the software out with gimmicks and other **** no one ever uses...but fail to address issues professionals require.

• A. Fernandez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All my lecture notes, hundreds of pages full of MathType equations have been spoiled by this bug. Trying to correct equations one by one doesn't work either because the next time the document is opened the equations are again changed! Please do something soon.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bloody annoying when you have hundreds of Mathtype expressions in your artical.

• Harrys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

office 2009 and problem is still here. come on microsoft you can do better than that

• Kenneth Johnson, Ph.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also desperately need to use MathType with Powerpoint. The latest MS Word was released 2 years ago and Mathtype is still not supported! Why does this have to be so difficult? Mathtype is the preferred program for equation editing by scientists and engineers. Please get it fixed.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base