Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Pen Support in Office

The use of a Pen in Office (excluding OneNote) doesn't differentiate between a pen and finger when touching the screen. So when you are using a pen but touch the screen with a finger a line is drawn. This is a frustrating implementation of digital ink that has existed in office (excluding OneNote) forever.

Conversely. The Office implementation of digital ink on IOS (iPad Pro and Apple Pencil) is perfect. You can select Pen or Finger and don't get both.

Not sure why an IOS implementation of digital ink would be better than the implantation in WIN10, OFFICE 2016 and a Surface device.

Come on Microsoft..... For the first time I am actually considering using the iPad pro at work because digital ink is better and not upgrading my Surface

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Word in Office 16.0.7341.2032 on a touch screen notebook.
        There seems to be three modes when using touch / pen:
        1. When document is first opened, I can use finger to scroll the document.
        2. When I use my pen on the screen, a Pens tab apears. I can use pen / finger to draw line OR I can choose "Select Objects" to select objects.
        3. When I click "Stop Inking" in the Pens tab, pen / finger nows select text. I can switch back to "2" by placing the pen on the screen. However I cannot return to "1" and I need to close and reopen the document before I can scroll pages again.

Can a button be added to return to "1" so that I can scroll with pen / finger after going into "2" so that I can scroll to other pages and then ink again?

Unable to get Surface Pen to draw anything except in OneNote on Surface running Office 2016 local on PC (part of O365 E3 rights) on Windows 10 Pro. Does not work in Word, Excel, etc. I am current on Microsoft updates.

After recently doing a windows update, Office no longer allows the Surface Pen to be used as a mouse. It can only be used as a Pen. The mouse function in Office needs to be brought back immediately because it has really impeded my use of office.

• Elad Avron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As for the desktop version, some things aren't working as well as they should in the latest insider build:
        There's no option to lasso-to-select (like in OneNote), the program completely ignores the secondary pen buttons (which work flawlessly in OneNote), and while the eraser DOES work, the cursor doesn't change to the eraser cursor so it's really hard to tell what you're erasing. Also, sometimes the cursor doesn't change to the right size/color when changing pen size/color (sometimes it does, it's a bit inconsistent).
        For reference, I'm using a Wacom Intuos graphic pen, NOT a pen-enabled touchscreen.
        OneNote inking works perfectly, you should just clone that to the rest of Office.

Feedback and Knowledge Base