Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

word 2016 style pane corrupt or buggy after update

The style pane in word 2016 no longer works after some December update. Selecting a style in the pane results in a random style 3 to 8 lines above it being selected. Macros were also lost after this update. We uninstalled recent updates but were not able to restore functionality. The only resolution has been to downgrade to 2013.

42 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Grizard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EC Holm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having this issue as well in MS Word 365. Sometimes I open a blank word document and it has all of my styles. Other times it doesn't. It's like it has two personalities. I cope by setting up two different set of styles.

• Em commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having same problems on ongoing basis with Word for Mac 2016 (didn't have them with Word for Mac 2011, btw). I'm very unhappy with Microsoft about this - have spent weeks trying to get help from Microsoft engineers on the Community Forum, and they could not help. This really should have been fixed by now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are living with this problem since a while now. It was sent almost two years ago from now. Still buggy. We pay a monthly fee very expensive for our company for Office 365. All our computers are setup to be updated by Microsoft, all our computers are with very good hardware and with Windows 10 Pro. Even under this context, we are still with this bug since almost 2 years. When will you fix it?!?!

• C. V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having same problem with Styles since updating to Microsoft 2010.

• Raymond K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GREAT! the fix is now part of Office 365? That doesn't help us who have Office 2016? I'm still experiencing problems with some styles, Heading1 seems to hide the text behind a blank line below it some how? It moves the text down and sets the color and size, but it doesn't move down the line below and all you see is the tops of the letters? all other headings at this time look correct to me, I'm sure this stems back to what ever started the problem.

• David D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this is a thread on Word for Windows...but same problems in Word for Mac 2016

• David D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not fixed. very buggy. Changes are random and erratic. Completely unreliable.

Still not fixed. One uses Organizer to copy styles (in this case, Headings) from another document. However, the changed styles do not work properly, still having strange features. The only way I have found is to manually modify the desired Style, go to the paragraph where one wants to apply this, re-apply Normal style, then apply to modified style.
        I have been a Mac Word user since 1989 and it is very disappointing to see this problem still there over a year after 2016 was released, despite the many complaints about this.

• Asiah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Virus attacked Microsoft word 2016 and excel 2016 . Afterwards, both applications couldn't work at all

This is costing me a lot of wasted time - and for me time is money - when is this going to be fixed for Word 2016?????

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I click on the bottom right of the styles pane on the toolbar, the full menu just flashes and doesn't stay open. I'm using the latest Windows on a PC and Office 365.

This issue is still not resolved.

Completely unprofessional. I downgraded to Office 2013 because I use the Styles pane in every document.

• P. Keller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad to say, I am facing also those issues with the style pane.There is a style I can click on, but nothing happens. The paragraph simply does not take over the new style settings. Instead, it remains with an old style setting. I am currently writing my Master Thesis and really hate such bugs coming out of the nowhere ... and last for months. This is a serious bug in a key function of that software. I mean, working with styles is at the heart of a text processing software. Why does Microsoft simply not care about such issues? I really start to hate the unreliable products of this company. Unfortunately, I must use it for my Thesis :(

• Ronald Sonntag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just did a full update of Office 365 including Word 2016. Apply Styles dialog box STILL NOT WORKING. Fresh document, type in "Heading 2" and as soon as I hit the space after "Heading" the entire selection disappears even though Heading 2, Heading 3 are visible in the Ribbon AND they are listed in the full Style tool bar. Today is August 22, 2016, nearly 8 months after these problems were first reported!

• Ronald Sonntag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, this problem is NOT "completed"! It is now August 22, 2016 and the following problems still occur:

1. Using Cntrl-s to bring up the Style selector, typing in a style (even one that exists) results in random styles being selected and then if you keep typing, blank.

2. Turning the Auto-complete check box on or off appears to have no effect.

3. Selecting styles that appear on the ribbon do work, but, you can only select those that appear.

4. Selecting styles from the Style Tool Dialog (that shows all styles) works, but, this is a very laborious process.

This is a SERIOUS bug that has now been going for over 8 months! What are you doing about it, Microsoft?

Same thing for me. The style pane is no longer visiable after I just updated my software. I have to get this document out and can't work in Word now. Im going back to pages. Too bad for Word!!!!

• John Samuels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not a solution, but I use the default shortcut keys. For example, "CTL+ALT+1" applies Heading 1. "CTL+SHIFT+L" applies the List Bullet.

I also modified my keyboard shortcuts. For example: "CTL+B" now applies the Strong style; "CTL+B" applies the Default Paragraph Font.

I too am having this problem despite numerous attempts to correct it by recreating the styles, using new templates, etc. Although I can at least work, the styles pane is largely useless following this update. Very frustrating when you make your living on this. Also Pascal, mine do fit in (well my customized ones, not the ones built in) and it still isn't working correctly.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base