How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word 2016 fails to print margins correctly / messes up layout (Possible OpenType .otf Font bug)

I am having severe problems with Word 2016, as it does not print the document layout correctly as it somehow messes up the margin when printing.
NOTE: This happens when printing to Adobe Acrobat DC and my physical printer!
My document layout:
• no markup,
• custom margins (set to 1,27cm top / bottom and left / right - my printer can easily handle these...)
• no header or footer
• paper size set to A4 in all settings

INTERESTING:
When I changed the fonts to Arial, the PDF printed correctly!
The 2 custom fonts I used, are both .otf
Both of these are high quality commercial fonts.

I've never had a problem with regards to spacing, margins and layout using these custom fonts in earlier editions of Word or other software applications (used them in Excel 2016 and Photoshop CC 2015).

HAVE A LOOK HERE FOR SCREENSHOTS:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-word/word-2016-fails-to-print-margins-correctly-messes/22b484d4-f808-42e1-a2c0-b04de305edb3

91 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LubbzterLubbzter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaulSPaulS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on when this will be fixed? It's a major productivity killer.

• MannyManny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hum... Actually it worked on one file, but not on another. Keep up the potato.

• MannyManny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HAD the problem. Yes, HAD. Paper resizing was the culprit. Options -> Advanced Options -> Under "Printing" -> Unchecked ~"Auto resize for 8.5x11 / A4 sizes"

Good luck.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this exact same problem and it's driving me NUTS! The first admin response to this question was in October of 2016. The most recent is March 2017. Both responses say they're looking into it and working on it. It's been over 2 months now since the last response to the question. How close are we to a fix? I can not have my layouts shifting around like this every time I go to print. This is a serious productivity killer and is costing us time and money to deal with it.

Having same problem too.. The problem is... the document seems Ok in MS word 2016 and in the Print Preview... but when printed,, a 1 paged Docs became 2 pages..
        I'm using Minion Pro Font.

This has happened to me as well. Using Minion Pro, the pagination simply does not work. This is not okay at all. Please fix this ASAP!

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like everyone else, I have been having this problem ever since I purchased Word 2016 last year. Wasted 2 days talking to Microsoft support team a day or two after purchasing it, only to be told that it is an inherent problem within the programming of Word 2016 and that it does not support any of the Adobe (or it seems most non-Microsoft - particularly other language) fonts. You cannot even create a two page A5 document without the formatting going everywhere. Ability to create a logo or integrating a picture within text is impossible. Word 2013 works fine. Word 2016 is rendered utterly useless due to this fault. I requested to be given two copies of Word 2013, but unsurprisingly Microsoft staff refused.

If there is anyone out there still considering an upgrade from Word 2013 - forget it if you are a regular user of non-Microsoft fonts. There is currently no way to get around this problem until Microsoft could be bothered fixing it in an upgrade. Until then, it is extremely limiting.

• Matthew TieuMatthew Tieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever I print documents using OTF fonts, the fonts on the printed pages appear bigger than they should be. This is particularly a problem for palm cards since a moderate portion of the information typed seems to be cut off! I'm not a heavy user of Adobe software and the majority of my installed fonts are in TTF so I'm in the process of converting any existing OTF files into TTF.

• DebDeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running Windows 7, I installed Office 2016 about 2 months ago.
        I could print just fine until today, now everything is messed up! Today I worked for 3 hours just reformatting a CD label template to print the text and design ON the 2 LABELS on the SAME page.
        I moved one item and something else moved out of place.
        Adjusting the margins, helped a little bit, tried making the font Calibri, didn't work. Same when changing font to Arial. Changed the line spacing, helped a bit (why did that change??)
        Downloaded a new template and had the same issues.
        Looks good when working in Print Layout. Go to print it and the preview is wacky, go to print it and it's even wackier. So, to solve the issue, adjust the document to look wacky to print correctly, go figure! Issue with that is it’s all trial and error with a waste of paper, toner and time. I don’t want to do this to every document I have to print.
        I haven't updated anything on my system lately, but perhaps the IT dept has behind the scenes.

• Support "MinionPro" PLEASE!!!Support "MinionPro" PLEASE!!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word 2016 does not correctly support OpenType CFF fonts (e.g., Adobe Garamond Pro, Minion Pro):

Adobe Garamond Pro and Minion Pro are both OpenType CFF font families (whereas, for instance, Times New Roman and Segoe both belong to OpenType TrueType font families and do not give any layout/printing prolems).

The primary difference between the OpenType CFF and OpenType TrueType fonts is the outlines and hinting technology used by the font.

OpenType CFF uses the same Bezier curve and hinting mechanism used by the original Type 1 fonts used in the original PostScript printers and use a coordinate system based on 1000.
        OpenType TrueType uses the quadratic curves and programmatic hinting mechanism used by TrueType fonts, using a coordinate system based on 2048.

Word 2016 is probably doing something that assumes that 2048 value (it shouldn't) for font character widths being based on.

I share the general frustration. Minion Pro is this charity's standard font for newsletters and even now after all the complaints below it still won't print properly or publish as a pdf. Microsoft is too clever by half; i.e. can't leave well alone.

• CindyCindy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also having this problem - saving as a PDF turns a one page document into two pages. Saving in compatibility mode did not fix. Changing font does - but need to use the font required by the customer.

• Emily KleinEmily Klein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started having this issue with Word 2016 today; the solution at the link above (putting the document into Compatibility mode based on Word 2010) did work for me. Now ask me how much time I wasted trying to do something that I was able to do yesterday without any fuss...

• Eric FletcherEric Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am having related problems. Index and TOC page numbers are being reported incorrectly ONLY when OpenType CFF fonts (like Adobe Garamond Pro and Minion Pro) are being used. If I change the document's fonts to an OpenType TT font (like Times New Roman or Segoe UI), the page numbers are reported correctly. (Word 365 version 1702, build 7870.2024)

Having this same line spacing issue. Document works and prints as it should in 2016 Mac version, but not on 2016 PC version.

• BlehBleh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to switch to win 2013 and make a few edits with the spacing. After that, it printed correctly. Microsoft owes me 3 hours of pay.

Having same issue. Happens if I use fonts that have "Adobe" in the name. Seems to happen when I use textboxes in a document.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base