How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word 2016 fails to print margins correctly / messes up layout (Possible OpenType .otf Font bug)

I am having severe problems with Word 2016, as it does not print the document layout correctly as it somehow messes up the margin when printing.
NOTE: This happens when printing to Adobe Acrobat DC and my physical printer!
My document layout:
• no markup,
• custom margins (set to 1,27cm top / bottom and left / right - my printer can easily handle these...)
• no header or footer
• paper size set to A4 in all settings

INTERESTING:
When I changed the fonts to Arial, the PDF printed correctly!
The 2 custom fonts I used, are both .otf
Both of these are high quality commercial fonts.

I've never had a problem with regards to spacing, margins and layout using these custom fonts in earlier editions of Word or other software applications (used them in Excel 2016 and Photoshop CC 2015).

HAVE A LOOK HERE FOR SCREENSHOTS:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-word/word-2016-fails-to-print-margins-correctly-messes/22b484d4-f808-42e1-a2c0-b04de305edb3

124 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LubbzterLubbzter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

85 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you plz tell us, if and when the issue will be fixed? It costs us a big ammount of time. Looks like all others have given up, as my post is the only post since March 2017.

• Christopher HigginsChristopher Higgins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MAJOR BUG. Yes, we should expect that Word will work with high quality OTF fonts. I use Myriad Pro for a document that we print every week. Microsoft! Please fix this. Please!

• LubbzterLubbzter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Erika Delgado

I am really happy this could help! I just had to finish a thesis as well, and I managed to print the 20 000 words document fine by simply forcing Word to use only 1.5 line spacing and no auto spaces before or after paragraphs. Furthermore I used a non-standard high quality .otf font family with individual fonts for bold, italic etc.

I am shocked that so many people are still having issues with Word 2016. Would be great if the Word dev team can give us an update on the issue.

Please keep posting your issues on here with as much detail as possible so that the developers can fix this very annoying bug.

I write instructional booklets for adult students and have been very very disappointed that office 2016 prints all theses booklets with an additional margin on the left side. So far i have not found a solution.

• Erika DelgadoErika Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Lubbzter I just wanna thank you for the solution you posted. I'm writing my thesis (almost done, but I need to finish it in 2 days) and I switched from Word 2013 to Word 2016 and I was driving crazy with this bug. I did what you recommended and then copied the text from the original .docx document to the new .doc one. It worked. THANKS A LOT!!!

I apologize if I made any mistake, English is not my first language.

• VinhVinh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello everyone,

I found out that the problem come from the font when Office 2016 doesn't support OTF font and only support TTF font. When I deleted OTF font and replace by TTF font, the problem is fixed

Vinh

• Matt EmeryMatt Emery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've had the same issue here at our organization! ESPECIALLY problematic given that often these are the fonts people have PAID money to obtain for design purposes... the workaround is bad because you loose the advanced typography features. UNACCEPTABLE, Microsoft, that there's still no further info on ETA, etc.

• Brett WainscottBrett Wainscott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also finding the same issue. It must be a MAJOR issue with .oft fonts for it to have no fix yet after 5 months of "working on it" and a few years of consumers reporting the issue. Can we have an ETA, timeframe, or ball park figure please?

• Eric FletcherEric Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thomas D: Your solution may work in some situations, but it isn't practical for organizations that have font subscriptions with companies like Adobe (TypeKit). Such fonts don't actually exist in the user's font folder, and cannot be converted. I would also be concerned that a free converter may not accurately recreate all font attributes correctly.

• Thomas D.Thomas D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem should be addressed by Microsoft. However, there is a work-around. All you need to do is convert the .otf fonts to .ttf fonts using a free online converter. Then just delete the original .otf font styles from your fonts folder and copy in the new .ttf fonts. You may have to search for the specific fonts to be deleted as they do not always auto populate in your fonts folder. It takes about 5 minutes to complete but saves hours and hours of banging your head against the desk.

• A. HermannA. Hermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This major bug was mentioned 19 months ago and still no solution? Unbelievable! I wonder how much time companies have lost due to this problem - just thinking of the complaints I hear in my own organization. It doesn't look like Microsoft is taking it seriously.

• Eric FletcherEric Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A recent followup in a different forum prompted me to return to this page. It is frustrating to see that there has been no real progress on fixing the bug after so many months.

However, the procedure described on this Microsoft Answers thread can be used to get around the problem: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/bug-word-2016-fails-to-print-margins-correctly/22b484d4-f808-42e1-a2c0-b04de305edb3

• Ged WilmotGed Wilmot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this exact problem with my document, too (using Myriad Pro font) - SO frustrating!

Please fix it!

I have the same problem, ie the layout goes haywire if I change the font size and/or style from the default Calibri 11. Is there a fix or work around for this issue?

• AngelAngel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also hitting this bug. Please, fix it! It's been more than 3 months already!

• GDDGDD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having this problem too, with a document template that has given me no problems until this job today.

Line spacing seems not to be observed. I have a critical document due and I have to muck around with it. It's pushing the doc out to 7 pages when on-screen it's 5.

Not happy.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base