How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word 2016 fails to print margins correctly / messes up layout (Possible OpenType .otf Font bug)

I am having severe problems with Word 2016, as it does not print the document layout correctly as it somehow messes up the margin when printing.
NOTE: This happens when printing to Adobe Acrobat DC and my physical printer!
My document layout:
• no markup,
• custom margins (set to 1,27cm top / bottom and left / right - my printer can easily handle these...)
• no header or footer
• paper size set to A4 in all settings

INTERESTING:
When I changed the fonts to Arial, the PDF printed correctly!
The 2 custom fonts I used, are both .otf
Both of these are high quality commercial fonts.

I've never had a problem with regards to spacing, margins and layout using these custom fonts in earlier editions of Word or other software applications (used them in Excel 2016 and Photoshop CC 2015).

HAVE A LOOK HERE FOR SCREENSHOTS:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-word/word-2016-fails-to-print-margins-correctly-messes/22b484d4-f808-42e1-a2c0-b04de305edb3

71 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LubbzterLubbzter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric FletcherEric Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am having related problems. Index and TOC page numbers are being reported incorrectly ONLY when OpenType CFF fonts (like Adobe Garamond Pro and Minion Pro) are being used. If I change the document's fonts to an OpenType TT font (like Times New Roman or Segoe UI), the page numbers are reported correctly. (Word 365 version 1702, build 7870.2024)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this same line spacing issue. Document works and prints as it should in 2016 Mac version, but not on 2016 PC version.

• BlehBleh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to switch to win 2013 and make a few edits with the spacing. After that, it printed correctly. Microsoft owes me 3 hours of pay.

Having same issue. Happens if I use fonts that have "Adobe" in the name. Seems to happen when I use textboxes in a document.

• PLEASE FIXPLEASE FIX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The wrong handling of fonts in Word 2016 (in my case Minion Pro), resulting in totally changed layout when printing a hard-copy or to PDF, is unacceptable and a MAJOR bug that needs to be fixed ASAP!!!
        Our company depends on this!!!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone heard any updates? I've tried removing hidden text, I've tried converting from otf to ttf fonts, and anything else I've seen suggested. The number of pages in print preview is 30 pages less than show up in the pdf.

• yossiyossi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. I think this issue is more of a line spacing (or font metric) issue than a margin issue.
        2. Yes, this issue is a major bug and drives me crazy also, Word is no longer WYSWYG. I might as well be using Tex.... (at least over there bugs get fixed)
        It's very disappointing that major bugs can go reported for over a year without Microsoft doing anything about it.
        I wish that I knew the magic word that will make Microsoft react and fix it (any ideas anyone how to turn this into a security vulnerability? Irate user don't bode too well for security either :-).

Still have the same issue with Word 2016 version 16.0.6925.1049 from Office 365 pro plus
        I had to open in 2013 and then fix it there and print.
        If I then open the file again in Word 2016 the formatting looks all over the place but prints correctly
        Nice work Microsoft

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely this should be fixed by now, OTF fonts fail to print out accurately as per the original file and Print Preview in Word 16 (with Windows 10)

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had this issue as well for OTF fonts (Gotham, Adobe Garamond Pro, Sabon, etc.). It seems to be fixed when converting the fonts to TTF format.

• BarbaraBarbara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also having this problem when using OTF font 'Fanwood'. Please advise when this will be fixed.

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having a problem with Word 2016 (with Windows 10) in that pages in Print Preview print out differently, with text over-running onto other pages, and I can only print reliably if I either enter page breaks at the end of each page, or change the font from OTF (Optima Light) to a TTF, whereupon it works.

• KirstenKirsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to update my comment - seems I can't edit - to report that I am on Version 1609 (Build 7369.2038) and it doesn't matter if I print to either of my two external printers (inkjet or laser) but the issue happens on print to Adobe .pdf as well

• KirstenKirsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am having this problem! I'm running Windows 10 Professional, the latest update of Office 365 64 bit. My document has custom open type font - Frutiger. Every year I publish an annual report in which many high resolution pictures and graphics are laid out carefully on each page. This year, on the latest version of Office I am having random layout issues and so far technical support on my Office 365 Business account for this issue has been completely ineffective and unhelpful

• CPDSCPDS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having this except same problem with documents in Garamond.

• Ryan McIverRyan McIver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing the same bug. On Word 2016 Deferred build 16.0.6741.2071, seeing it with a docx using a custom font. Have tried converted to both OTF and TTF with the same errors. Only solution is to open developer options, drop compatibility to 2010, and toggle on use printer metrics (does not require converting to .doc).

Run these commands in immediate window in VBA:
        ActiveDocument.SetCompatibilityMode 14
        ActiveDocument.Compatibility(wdUsePrinterMetrics) = True

Maybe add the printer metrics option to the newer docx? This needs to be fixed. Our organization is trying to bring up all of our files to the newest format, but this is preventing that.

• Dawid WójcickiDawid Wójcicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, Anonymous! It works great.

(Options -> Advanced, then check "Use printer metrics to lay out documents")

I don't think it's a font bug. This keeps happening to me (Word 2016) and I'm not even printing text, just a picture!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base