How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Word 2016 fails to print margins correctly / messes up layout (Possible OpenType .otf Font bug)

I am having severe problems with Word 2016, as it does not print the document layout correctly as it somehow messes up the margin when printing.
NOTE: This happens when printing to Adobe Acrobat DC and my physical printer!
My document layout:
• no markup,
• custom margins (set to 1,27cm top / bottom and left / right - my printer can easily handle these...)
• no header or footer
• paper size set to A4 in all settings

INTERESTING:
When I changed the fonts to Arial, the PDF printed correctly!
The 2 custom fonts I used, are both .otf
Both of these are high quality commercial fonts.

I've never had a problem with regards to spacing, margins and layout using these custom fonts in earlier editions of Word or other software applications (used them in Excel 2016 and Photoshop CC 2015).

HAVE A LOOK HERE FOR SCREENSHOTS:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-word/word-2016-fails-to-print-margins-correctly-messes/22b484d4-f808-42e1-a2c0-b04de305edb3

104 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LubbzterLubbzter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • A. HermannA. Hermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This major bug was mentioned 19 months ago and still no solution? Unbelievable! I wonder how much time companies have lost due to this problem - just thinking of the complaints I hear in my own organization. It doesn't look like Microsoft is taking it seriously.

• Eric FletcherEric Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A recent followup in a different forum prompted me to return to this page. It is frustrating to see that there has been no real progress on fixing the bug after so many months.

However, the procedure described on this Microsoft Answers thread can be used to get around the problem: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/bug-word-2016-fails-to-print-margins-correctly/22b484d4-f808-42e1-a2c0-b04de305edb3

• Ged WilmotGed Wilmot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this exact problem with my document, too (using Myriad Pro font) - SO frustrating!

Please fix it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem, ie the layout goes haywire if I change the font size and/or style from the default Calibri 11. Is there a fix or work around for this issue?

• AngelAngel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also hitting this bug. Please, fix it! It's been more than 3 months already!

• GDDGDD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having this problem too, with a document template that has given me no problems until this job today.

Line spacing seems not to be observed. I have a critical document due and I have to muck around with it. It's pushing the doc out to 7 pages when on-screen it's 5.

Not happy.

• how much longer for this URGENT fix??!!!!how much longer for this URGENT fix??!!!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company just upgraded all our computers with Office 2016 - and suddenly documents that worked a week ago on 2013 ore completely screwed on screen.
        New documents created in Word 2016 that seem fine on screen do NOT print correctly (i.e. a 1-page letter has the last paragraphs printed on a second page.
        We use Minion Pro as our main font as well as Microsoft Office for years; and now suddenly Word 2016 severely limits our productivity and thus client relations.
        PLEASE, PLEASE do something about this bug!!!!!!!!!

I am sooooo frustrated. Had to use Word 2016 for a client project and everything I print (to PDF or physical printer), I am not getting what I designed. Layout is haywire including random page breaks, etc. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

We have been having the same problem in our office since we updated to Word 2016, PLEASE FIX!!!! We are using Frutiger LT Std 45 Light font, which might only be available as OTF

• PaulSPaulS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on when this will be fixed? It's a major productivity killer.

• MannyManny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hum... Actually it worked on one file, but not on another. Keep up the potato.

• MannyManny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HAD the problem. Yes, HAD. Paper resizing was the culprit. Options -> Advanced Options -> Under "Printing" -> Unchecked ~"Auto resize for 8.5x11 / A4 sizes"

Good luck.

I have this exact same problem and it's driving me NUTS! The first admin response to this question was in October of 2016. The most recent is March 2017. Both responses say they're looking into it and working on it. It's been over 2 months now since the last response to the question. How close are we to a fix? I can not have my layouts shifting around like this every time I go to print. This is a serious productivity killer and is costing us time and money to deal with it.

Having same problem too.. The problem is... the document seems Ok in MS word 2016 and in the Print Preview... but when printed,, a 1 paged Docs became 2 pages..
        I'm using Minion Pro Font.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base