Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

392 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

315 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Response: I am not seeing the "RIGHT-POINTING ARROW BESIDE IT." where do you get that? Do you have to activate some text-to-speech accessibility feature?"

My best guess is that this may have been added in a recent update. Right-clicking on my updated version gives a list of suggestions and basic definition, and to the right of that is a right-pointing arrow with the other options. I never added any features manually.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am horrified by this suggestion. What about creating hyperlinks? What about table modifications? Some times are ONLY accessible from the context menu, and now these AUTOCORRECT suggests are crowding out absolutely everything else. You want that to be the default? Seriously? I very strongly disagree with this. It should be a specialty option for those who want it, not the default. I can find no way to turn these damn spelling suggestions off and it is truly infuriating.

"Right-click on your misspelled word, and find the correction you want. Instead of clicking that, choose the RIGHT-POINTING ARROW beside it, and you get the option to read it out loud or ADD TO AUTO CORRECT."

Response: I am not seeing the "RIGHT-POINTING ARROW BESIDE IT." where do you get that? Do you have to activate some text-to-speech accessibility feature?

Hey all, I'd just like to say that I HAVE FOUND OUT HOW TO DO THIS! It's actually an option that's built-in now, just a layer back.

Right-click on your misspelled word, and find the correction you want. Instead of clicking that, choose the RIGHT-POINTING ARROW beside it, and you get the option to read it out loud or ADD TO AUTO CORRECT.

• Filip Hrga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring right-click autocorrect... PLEASE! It is by FAR one of the most useful features of word on mac. I beg you to bring it back.

October 30, 2017. I just bought Word 2016 and downloaded what is presumably the latest version. Autocorrect is not in the context menu. What possessed you to remove a function so useful to so many? Did you have iphone engineers on the job?

Microsoft - you responded In February 2015 to this comment. In case it had skipped by you, it is now October 2017. 18 months later. And still nothing. Nada. Squat.

When is this happening??!!

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update as to when this will happen? I'm also an Office 365 subscriber and have not seen an update yet!

GIven how useful this feature is, why in the world was it eliminated? Please restore it!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't happen. My employer just moved to Office 2016 and still missing.Used to use this feature just about every week. When can we get this feature back?

• Eric Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gawd, please! I need this back! I feel like I have to go back to my decrepit old half-broken laptop to use Word properly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base