Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

373 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

302 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GIven how useful this feature is, why in the world was it eliminated? Please restore it!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't happen. My employer just moved to Office 2016 and still missing.Used to use this feature just about every week. When can we get this feature back?

• Eric Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gawd, please! I need this back! I feel like I have to go back to my decrepit old half-broken laptop to use Word properly.

• Peter Lawrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well it appears SOME versions of office 2016 has this feature back and improved with an explanation of the different words on offer, but certainly not all versions of 2016 and not at all in 2013. as usual, Micro$oft has been very quiet on this and doesn't seem to care as it isn't a major country banning them. after all, they have made such a mess of cloud products not being compatible with on premise products (SQL, SharePoint etc), they just expect all to suck it up and bow to their will and spend a fortune on redeveloping products to suit their cloud.

This really hinders my productivity. I used to be able to write (for example) IBM and have International Business Machines come up, if I so chose. I also manage to mangle the English language in quite creative ways, and the Word dictionary doesn't have the imagination to solve all my misspellings.

I can't fix this right now. But you can. (And you've promised to. Why haven't you done it?)

Also a really important thing - I have repetitive strain injury and want to avoid using the mouse as much as possible. Older versions of Word allowed me to add words via Alt A and Alt R functions - much simpler and better for my fingers. Right mouse commands are really annoying and are not making thing great at all.

The time this is taken is ridiculous. Surely it's not that complicated. Enough to make anyone make the switch to LibreOffice.

• HSK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any movement toward restoring that very useful function in Word (right click auto-correct option)?

That hopeful promise to restore this function was in February, but I still don't see it available. Or is it there and I'm just not seeing it?

• Kashla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I add my voice to those below. I have just "upgraded" from Word 2007 to Word 2016, because Word 2007 struggled to cope with documents created in Word 2010 or later, despite them all supposedly using docx. In Word 2007, my spellcheck menu included an "autocorrect" option which is now missing. I could also control the spellcheck menu from my keyboard. Now, in Word 2016, I have to use the mouse when using spellcheck, which slows things down, and cannot add my correction to the autocorrect dictionary, which is irritating. What is the point of producing a new version of Word and making it worse than the previous one?

Microsoft's Word product managers clearly are incompetent. This feature is one that raises productivity over time, and it is the reason why we don't use typewriters any more. Idiots! Put it back. As soon as possible!

Feedback and Knowledge Base