Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

381 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

307 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • D R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, can you hear us? I’ve got Word 2016 and don’t see autocorrect in right hand menu.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are really upset why you removed the auto correct from right hand menu. it was useful, and why all this time to restore it.

Hello from 2019! its still not solved.
        and i have to googleit on several languages for 40 minutes to find out that it is unsolvable

whats next? will u delete some digits or letters from "word 2020" to optimize it?

• Carl Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am handicapped and rely on short cuts as a mean of making the program viable. Now that this feature suddenly stopped I will have to find another program, and cancel my monthly payment.

241 comments and still nothing - AND, it took me nearly 30 minutes to articulate the right search terms and find my way here so I can imagine a lot of people just give up before they get here to add there frustration. Please fix this, it is aggravating.

• Ryan K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this Microsoft?? I really need this feature to be restored. Why on earth would you take it away?

I have Office 365 and all the recent updates and still waiting for this to be restored! Any dates for release yet?

• PSB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

Any update???????

• PL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have found there are different versions of 2016 - thank you micoro$oft for hiding this fact and not owning up to it for over a year!!- if you get the 365 download, then you get the auto correct, if you have a site license, retail or OEM version you do not - this looks like their way of forcing all to 365 - their licensing is rubbish and it is about time they are taken to task by governement over this practice.

• Olly Buxton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't actually believe anyone thought removing the autocorrect from the right click menu was a good idea. One of the most useful shortcuts in the whole program.

• Mark Brice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous's supposed workaround ("Right-click on your misspelled word, and find the correction you want. Instead of clicking that, choose the RIGHT-POINTING ARROW beside it, and you get the option to read it out loud or ADD TO AUTO CORRECT.") does not exist for the Microsoft Office Professional Plus installed on my workstation. There is no autocorrect option in the context menu, and no right arrow after clicking on a suggested correction.

Autocorrect is crippled in Office 16. PLEASE FIX THIS, PEOPLE!

Hey MS....please stop hiring programmers raised on smartphone texting. Some of us actually use more than two fingers to type, and we type much more than tweets!! Can you PLEASE stop removing word processing features from the WORD PROCESSOR???

"Response: I am not seeing the "RIGHT-POINTING ARROW BESIDE IT." where do you get that? Do you have to activate some text-to-speech accessibility feature?"

My best guess is that this may have been added in a recent update. Right-clicking on my updated version gives a list of suggestions and basic definition, and to the right of that is a right-pointing arrow with the other options. I never added any features manually.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am horrified by this suggestion. What about creating hyperlinks? What about table modifications? Some times are ONLY accessible from the context menu, and now these AUTOCORRECT suggests are crowding out absolutely everything else. You want that to be the default? Seriously? I very strongly disagree with this. It should be a specialty option for those who want it, not the default. I can find no way to turn these damn spelling suggestions off and it is truly infuriating.

"Right-click on your misspelled word, and find the correction you want. Instead of clicking that, choose the RIGHT-POINTING ARROW beside it, and you get the option to read it out loud or ADD TO AUTO CORRECT."

Response: I am not seeing the "RIGHT-POINTING ARROW BESIDE IT." where do you get that? Do you have to activate some text-to-speech accessibility feature?

Hey all, I'd just like to say that I HAVE FOUND OUT HOW TO DO THIS! It's actually an option that's built-in now, just a layer back.

Right-click on your misspelled word, and find the correction you want. Instead of clicking that, choose the RIGHT-POINTING ARROW beside it, and you get the option to read it out loud or ADD TO AUTO CORRECT.

• Filip Hrga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring right-click autocorrect... PLEASE! It is by FAR one of the most useful features of word on mac. I beg you to bring it back.

Feedback and Knowledge Base