Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

392 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

315 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been TWO YEARS! Bring this feature back. Its loss has made my work far more frustrating!

• Jenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First they take away the option to autocorrect words while spell checking and now the right click option. I work at home doing transcription and get paid by the word; therefore, the time it takes me to have to type without these features is costing me money. I don't know why they keep taking things away from us. They should take a poll before making changes like this.

• James Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my name to the group needing restoration of right click autocorrect. I purchased 2016 and then uninstalled it and reverted to 2007 to get this function back

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So Microsoft started to work on putting the right click autocorrect back in 2016 did they? Come on guys! This is a key function of Word 2010 and I'm genuinely considering going back to it purely because I can easily autocorrect the words I regularly mistype. Why did this even get taken away!? It's a great feature, please bring it back asap!

I am in the windows testing community and lost the spelling auto correction , when you right click. PLEASE RESTORE. or let me know how I can fix. HELP.

• Chad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently upgraded to Office 2016 and I am finding that Word does not respond very well to right clicks with the mouse. Very Annoying!!!!!

• Dianna McBride commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add the auto correct option on the toolbar by choosing customize the ribbon. Click the New Group option. I named my new group "AutoCorrect Options", then add the autocorrect command to your new group. It's not as simple as the right click option, but it is easier than going out of your document to the options and then proof. I hope this helps.

• Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually there are 262 comments but 334 votes to restore the feature. And you promised over 2 years ago to restore it and it's still not there.

• Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, Microsoft. There are 262 people that have wanted you to put this back since December 2015 and you still have done nothing. Does customer satisfaction not mean anything to you? All of these people paid a lot of money for Word or Office, and everyone who ever used this feature in the past wants it back. I used it all the time and it was so convenient. You guys need to look at what your customers want.

How about it, Microsoft? Would you like to put back in what you took out for no obvious reason, then promised two years ago to restore but still haven't?

For the record, this is as annoying on the Mac as it is on Windows.

• Teresa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So back on the 13th of February 2016 'they're planning to restore right-click access to AutoCorrect options in Word 2016"

So 2 years later and still hasn't been done?

• Teresa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So frustrating. I bought and installed 2016 this week and had this feature. All of a sudden disappeared. Not sure how that works?

• Yoster Schnauss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad I'm not the only one that absolutely hates the new 2016 spellchecker. The "thesaurus" attached to it makes me so irrationally angry. If I want a thesaurus, I will hit Shift-F7 thanks, I don't need it for every.freaking.word. I really, really hate it. That, and I can't seem to add words to the dictionary that are correctly spelled but unusual (work related) such as "northeasterlies". Before, you could right click and blammo, add to dictionary. Not anymore. Word says "northeasterlies" is correct (no squiggles) but if I spell it wrong like "northeasterlis" there is no option to correct it in your stupid menu. WTF Microsoft? Do you have monkeys working for you now?

Adding my vote in, still not restored from 2016? Plus, it needs to be in the MSI version too.

• The Consultants commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> If you’re an Office 365 subscriber, you should see this change in a future update.
        And if you are not?

Feedback and Knowledge Base