Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

381 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

307 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James Greenspan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another frustrated user - i have this at work so i don't have the liberty of switching on my own. Why in the world hasn't this been fixed in YEARS????

• Michael H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a big fan of the right click Autocorrect options---- please bring this valuable feature back.

Presently I am switching to Google Docs, which allows this as it considerably speeds my typing.

Yes, I agree, it's been over 2 years, MS--- are you listening to us? Thanks.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I continue to struggle with not having the right-click access to AutoCorrect options in Word 2016. The message above from the "Word Product Team" indicates plans are underway to restore this feature. Did I miss this update? Has anyone receive it?
        Thank you.

• Chris H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello? I'm using office 365, currently editing a doc in Sharepoint with fat-client Word and I still don't see this on the right click menu. The MS response is dated Feb 12 2016. It shouldn't take this long!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So when is this going to be restored? its awful that I can't right click for corrections. I am about to purchase scribe instead of word.

• Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow, I'm so relieved that I'm not the only person who is super-peeved that this feature has gone, and was kinda reliant on it in the first place... please bring back right click autocorrect. surely it's not a difficult feature to restore.

• Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, now I'm really confused. I just wrote a paper and the "Add to Autocorrect" option was back in the right click menu when you clicked on a misspelled word. I was so happy because I thought MS had finally put it back. Now, 5 minutes later, it is gone again. WTF!!!!! It looks like the same thing happened to Jeremy Ray two comments below me.

MS, WTF are you doing. Jesus this is frustrating.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why did they ever take it away? This is a big loss to productivity, for us who us it to compose...

• Jeremy Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the side menu/wedge until a few days ago and was LOVING IT, having HATED the auto correct being recently hidden deep in the file menu...now when I right click, I am only offered correction suggestions with no option to add them to auto-correct!!!

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS!!!! SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!!

• OS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, I have calmed down and almost immediately afterward discovered the quick way to find the autocorrect link again.

Instructions for word2016 running on win10:
        1. right click any word with a red under-squiggle,
        2. hover over the right pointing arrow/wedge to the right of any of the proffered correction options,
        3. click "autocorrect options" which is at the bottom of the pick list that appears.

Surely they could (should!) have told us, as that is not intuitive at all. Why would anyone click through a spelling offer that is NOT what they want? My instructions do speed up work immensely by comparison to digging into the file menu, but it's still not what it should be,

MS, if you are listening, put "autocorrect options" back into the right-click menu!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been TWO YEARS! Bring this feature back. Its loss has made my work far more frustrating!

• Jenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First they take away the option to autocorrect words while spell checking and now the right click option. I work at home doing transcription and get paid by the word; therefore, the time it takes me to have to type without these features is costing me money. I don't know why they keep taking things away from us. They should take a poll before making changes like this.

• James Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add my name to the group needing restoration of right click autocorrect. I purchased 2016 and then uninstalled it and reverted to 2007 to get this function back

Feedback and Knowledge Base