Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

381 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

307 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS GONE. I came here looking for a fix only to see that it was really removed. wth?!

When is this going to be fixed on Word 2016? Looks like three months now and nothing. ETA?

• Dennis V Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I discovered I could go back to OL2010 and see all my messages. I can go back and forth between 2010 & 2016 and all my messages are still there. I'll use 2010 until the feature is added to 2016.

• Lily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just purchased a new computer, I was required to get Office 2016 along with it, and while I find some of the changes from 2010 to be annoying, I can get around them with a little maneuvering; this, though, is a huge, huge problem. You've said you'll fix it but WHEN? And why not NOW?

When will it finally be put back in?
        The next Office package I will buy is Office 2010 as this is the last version with this feature. Luckily I can still get Office 2010 through my university for the same price as newer version and this feature will tip the balance in favour of Office 2010.

• Dennis V Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgraded to OL 2016 from 2010 and this was the first thing I missed. I used this feature all the time. Please put this back in. I learned about this from Diane's OutlookTips.net.

• gb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please could you let us know when will this be re-instated? It's now nearly two months since you said Office 365 subscribers would see this change! It is sorely missed and badly needed. Many thanks.

It has still not been put back in.

It is SORELY missed and hard to see why it was ever taken out - how long can it be to get it take to put it back!

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an Office 365 subscriber and I still have not seen this put back into Word.

• Leroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back 'Always autocorrect to...'. This feature is sorely missed.

Thank you for recognizing the short-sightedness of the decision to remove this valuable option. I am looking forward to seeing it restored.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What idiot thought immediate access to Autocorrect was "clutter"? Some child-programmer who never had to write documents in a professional, adult work environment?

• Greg Maxey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jen, a simple Google search (about 10 seconds) was all the time you needed to waste:
        http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/customize_shortcut_menu.html

Note: This "fixed" was developed when MS made a dog's breakfast of the right click menu and removed this feature in Word 2013. It is triggered by the SelectionChange event.
        Microsoft is really on a roll "fixing things that aren't broken" and in Word 2016 they went and broke the SelectionChange event. It is no longer triggered by a right click event.

So to work with 2016, you have to click off the misspelled word then left click it again. This will trigger the change event and display the menu.

• Michael Eyestone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, it's March 2016 now. Has this stupid, stupid, stupid error been fixed yet?

Nope.

HEY MICROSOFT, WAKE UP! SOMEONE GO TO THE OFFICE (as it were) AND FIX THIS STUPID MISTAKE!

• Jen Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHEN will this be restored? i have wasted so much time trying to figure out a shortcut or macro.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. The right click auto correct was an awesome feature. I refuse to go beyond Word 2010 until it is back!

• Jess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word Product Team: Above you stated this function (right click and autocorrect in WORD) would be restored. When will this be? This royally sucks, is a pain in the ass, especially that I am working on writing my 100 page Thesis paper. I separately purchased Word 2016 so I would have the latest up-to-date edition, but I guess it not up to date!!! This NEEDS to be fixed ASAP!

This is such a bad problem that I will be switching back to an earlier version of Word. What a pain-in-the ass.

Feedback and Knowledge Base