Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

405 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

332 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgraded to Office 2016 from 2010. I use French all the time and miss being to easily right-click to add words to autocorrect!! Please restore it ASAP.

• Robin Clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We want to let you know that the Word team has heard your feedback, and they’re planning to restore right-click access to AutoCorrect options in Word 2016. If you’re an Office 365 subscriber, you should see this change in a future update."

When please? This is so annoying and is clearly an issue for many of us who are missing this essential feature!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This option needs to be added back to all Office apps, not just Word. And selecting autocorrect for a word needs to add it to the same central custom dictionary for all Office apps. I'd love to know what genius at Microsoft decides to remove obviously useful features such as this; who decides to make it extremely difficult to change home screen settings in IE/Edge, etc. Clearly the company does not employ any genuine end user consultants. Seems to be a group of marketers and programmers making a lot of decisions which ultimately make things harder to use, more and more busy and messy to look at and navigate.

• Nic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, I would really appreciate the use of the right click in word 2016. It's hindering my workflow. Please update asap!

when? it's August 2016, I just installed MS 365/2016 and I can't find in the "command" choices... Thank you.

• Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature was a crucial part of my everyday work. I am so upset it not available yet. When will it be restored?

Any idea when this feature will be restored? It is quite crucial for the flow of writing

• Michael Eyestone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aaaaand another few months go by, and I check again, and yup, it's still the same "the Word team ... [are] planning to restore right-click access to AutoCorrect options in Word 2016..."

But, you know, it hasn't actually happened yet.

And it's still REALLY ANNOYING.

• Ashok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore it quickly!! Word is great otherwise, thank you so much for giving us this piece of software!!

What if you're not a word 375 subscriber? What if you want to be a Word 365 subscriber?

This was an extremely useful feature, I used it every day. I just upgraded to Office 365 and couldn't find it. :( Please restore as soon as reasonably possible!
        Thank You very much!
        [A faithful MS Office user since 1994]

• John Patrick Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aaargh pleas just flaming well fix this it is so annoying that this has been reoved!!!
        People have eben asking for this for motnhs now, I pay my subs for 365 so get auto updates.
        Why micsoft why?
        Yes I deliberatley speled words bad in this comennt as an expresion of my powerrless rage...

• PL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it will more likely go in the next version as an "improvement" and of course be charged to upgrade if you are not on subscription.
        this was taken out reportedly "as not widely used" but how would Microsoft know if they didn't get usage traffic? maybe it was based on only ones silly enough not to lock down their PCs to stop the snooping and keep their privacy.
        let's face it, the code is there but not activated or at the least still there, it should not take over 3 years to "fix" after all, 2013 started the decline. So many users are refusing to upgrade or going back to 2010 because of these unstable issues and lack of the previous more friendly use.

Hi there, I would like to say that I have the same issue. I have word 2016 and I find it very difficult to type fast when I don't have the right click auto correct option. Can you please fix this...

• Bill Snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Related to this is using the right-click menu to create custom words to replace standard words. For example, to save keystrokes, I would use words like ppl which stood for people. Word would automatically handle that. In effect, I was creating my own shorthand. That option is now deeply embedded in a series of menus. Needs to be back in the right click menu.

YES SERIOUSLY when will this happen? I'm reverting back to 2011 over this. I value my time. Unsurprisingly, Microsoft does not.

Feedback and Knowledge Base