Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

373 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

302 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As this feature is obviously not coming back could people please post here ways to export the autocorrect list into another Word processing programme? Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm anxious to see it restored as well. I often make the same spelling mistakes over and over again. I love the autocorrect feature that reminds me and fixes it each time I misspell. But now it's too hard to go through a bunch of steps to add new autocorrections. It really should be back on the right-click menu. Why was it taken off?

well please get on with it. I need it too. Or tell me how to put autocorrect into the tools bar on top of the page.

• Cheesus Toaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used this for about 5 minutes and immediately noticed that this feature has been "forgotten". So they just happened to miss it? The original post on this page was in Dec 2015 - it is now June 2016. This cannot be for real... am I going to have to revert back to Word 2007 until this gets fixed?

• Michael Eyestone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

12 February 2016: You tell us you're going to fix this.
        2 June 2016: Nope, not yet.

Everyone sleeping in Redmond?

This is indeed a completely stupid decision. How one can make such a decision is beyond my understanding. I want it back NOW.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Found a work around of sorts. Not as quick as the right-click, but almost as fast.

I'm working on a Mac, so if you're on a PC, you'll have to find the keyboard shortcut for the Spelling & Grammar check. On a Mac it is (opt + cmd + L).

Once in there, there is a autocorrect button.

Saves me a lot of time. But, the nitwit who took away the right-click option needs to put it back... ASAP.

Purchased Office 365 in Dec. 2015 for my Mac. This was the sole purpose for my purchase as Pages does not have this feature. I was delighted with my purchase. I then was forced to uninstall and reinstall by tech support and now this feature is gone.

It's indescribable how much this missing feature upsets me.

Please right your wrong ASAP!!!

I'm a tester for Office 2016, and as of this date, this sorely-missed feature is still missing. My first-born to whoever on the MS Office staff that can put this feature back in, plus my undying gratitude. It is simply impossible to believe that anyone who writes in English as a first language cannot, or fails to see the utility it this capability, or that thinks "It's easy; all you have to do is click file, then look at the options, then spin around in a circle ten times on one foot while holding your tongue out the right side of your mouth, then make the change to autocorrect" is "more convenient" or "Less clutter" than simply right-clicking a misspelled word, creating an entry for the wrong & right spelling, popping off two "Enter" keys to get back to the job of writing - which is what we use Word for - must be from a different planet. Or have an H1b...

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO HAPPEN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I have a 15-year-old MSO1033.acl file that is corrupt. It has moved with me through multiple machines, versions of Office and Windows, and across the country. I just spent 8 weeks and $1,500 and LOST 8 weeks of income because there's evidently no official way to pull the content out of the autocorrect file (since 2003, with the "support.dot"). Microsoft points to third-party volunteers' code for this. THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS.

However, my .acl might be FUBAR. In which case I'm going to have to remember, out of my own head, those 15 years' worth of entries. Approximately 8,000 of them. Because adding them from the text with that "cluttery" right-click "add to autocorrect" function is not available, despite outraged uproar from professional people who have depended on that function for their livelihoods.

So I'd like to know exactly when this function will be restored, because that is when I can maybe look forward to actually trying to work for a living.

Ha! Ha! When will this and other infuriating things like autocapitalization in autocorrect be fixed? What is it about your programmers? Do they have to break everything and then fix it?
        This is enough reason to stay on earlier office packages, ESPECIALLY on Mac!
        Remember: If it ain't broke, do not fix it...LEVE things that work, ALONE

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS GONE. I came here looking for a fix only to see that it was really removed. wth?!

When is this going to be fixed on Word 2016? Looks like three months now and nothing. ETA?

• Dennis V Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I discovered I could go back to OL2010 and see all my messages. I can go back and forth between 2010 & 2016 and all my messages are still there. I'll use 2010 until the feature is added to 2016.

• Lily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having just purchased a new computer, I was required to get Office 2016 along with it, and while I find some of the changes from 2010 to be annoying, I can get around them with a little maneuvering; this, though, is a huge, huge problem. You've said you'll fix it but WHEN? And why not NOW?

When will it finally be put back in?
        The next Office package I will buy is Office 2010 as this is the last version with this feature. Luckily I can still get Office 2010 through my university for the same price as newer version and this feature will tip the balance in favour of Office 2010.

Feedback and Knowledge Base