Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

373 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

302 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me add my voice to the chorus calling for restoring the right-click to add a word to autocorrect. I agree with the commenter below that eliminating this function is dumber than Clippie!

has it been restored - i used this all the time. i can't imagine why ms took it out? also as far as i can see the grammar/cap/spelling tool frequently misses mistakes. what gives?

• Chris H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's July 2018, and I'm still waiting. My ol laptop died and now I have to start building my beloved AutoCorrect library from scratch - such a pain without this

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree - Microsoft, why are you not listening to your customers?

Are there any alternatives to Word out there? If so, I'm switching.

waiting....
        Seriously? How hard will it be to restore this functionality? I love the comment below: "I used to think that adding Clippy to Office was the dumbest thing that Microsoft had ever done, but I see now that I was wrong. HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED YET?!"

So, please, get on it!!

WHERE IS IT??

SERIOUSLY - You people at Word are truly playing games with peoples' livelyhoods:(wow,that's spelled incorrectly, but - there's no feature that allows me to quickly correct teh spelling . . . .

This is just ridiculous !!!!!

[SORRY for any typos = but, I don't have a way to fix them]

Just upgraded from Word for Mac 2011 to 2016, and I'm astonished that this feature (and several others) have been deleted from the app. Now adding to Auto Correct takes about 10 times longer than it used to. PLEASE restore this feature.

• Roskamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any other way of fixing this? just updated to 2016 since my previous version was crashing but now i regret my descision...

• David G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please re-instate this feature asap. I am a trainer and MS Office "support" in a large local govt organisation. I receive a lot of negative comments and enquiries regarding the absence of this feature.
        Its removal was badly judged!

• Benjamin S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What in god's name was Microsoft thinking with eliminating this feature?! For heaven's sake, this is a basic feature of Word that I've relied upon for literally my entire life! I used to think that adding Clippy to Office was the dumbest thing that Microsoft had ever done, but I see now that I was wrong. HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED YET?!

• Larry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just 'upgraded' to word 2016 and couldn't believe that the autocorrect feature is absent. And now to see that the last response of the Word Product Team was in Feb of 2016 .... unbelievable, and yet somehow all too believable. Nice job!

• MWN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE bring back this feature. It is a major loss of functionality to have removed it!! The response (above) from the Word Product Team from TWO years ago said that the Word team had heard the feedback and were planning to restore right click access - what's up??? There have been many updates since this response and still not fixed......

• S S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just upgraded from Word for Mac 2011 to 2016, and I'm astonished that this feature (a) disappeared in the first place and (b) has not yet been restored, after two years of pleading by nearly 300 users. PLEASE restore this feature.

I purchased TWO 2016 Microsoft Office -- one for home and one for work. I am a professional transcriber/editor/proofreader. I use the AutoCorrect all the time! I repeat what James said, as he so accurately
        described it: "if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes."

It is NOT time-productive and is NOT cost-productive to have to keep correcting the "red-squiggly" word -- KNOWING THAT I HAVE TO CORRECT IT EVERY TIME!!!!

There are hundreds of complaints on this subject. WHEN are you going to fix this? Kindly advise. Thank you!!!

• James Greenspan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another frustrated user - i have this at work so i don't have the liberty of switching on my own. Why in the world hasn't this been fixed in YEARS????

• Michael H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a big fan of the right click Autocorrect options---- please bring this valuable feature back.

Presently I am switching to Google Docs, which allows this as it considerably speeds my typing.

Yes, I agree, it's been over 2 years, MS--- are you listening to us? Thanks.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base