Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

392 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

315 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hyper Odes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My version at work is MS Word 2016 MSO (16.4738.1000) 32 bits, and still not having this autocorrect option in the context menu...
        I was using it all days before we went from 2010 to 2016, now I miss it a lot !

PLEASE RESTORE THIS OPTION ASAP!

P.S. And also on all other MS Office 2016 apps (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc)

• Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My version of Word 2016 has been updated today when I came in to work (Version 1809 Build 10827.20150) and... the right click auto-correct option has returned! Can't find any mention of it in the release notes, but it is definitely there. I can hardly believe it.

• Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So.... it's 2.5 years after you said you're actively working to restore the right-click access to auto correct options and that if we are a 365 subscriber, we should see this change... I haven't seen it yet....am I missing something? I am about to stop subscribing

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com), you said on February 12, 2016 that you would add this feature. What is taking so long to restore this feature?

• Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a University Professor. The loss of this AutoCorrect option in the context menu is making my life MISERABLE!

Microsoft WHERE ARE YOU???

PLEASE fix this!! It's been over 2 years since you promised to fix this issue.

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is the autocorrect not working in Word 2016 now?

I am a professional transcriber and just migrated to Office 2016 only to discover to my HORROR that the autocorrect functionality is for all practical purposes GONE!
        Who on earth made such a foolish decision??!?!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore it in all programs at the next update or earlier and sack the idiot who removed such a valuable program function

When like myself you have a disability this method of correction is essential.

Let me add my voice to the chorus calling for restoring the right-click to add a word to autocorrect. I agree with the commenter below that eliminating this function is dumber than Clippie!

has it been restored - i used this all the time. i can't imagine why ms took it out? also as far as i can see the grammar/cap/spelling tool frequently misses mistakes. what gives?

• Chris H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's July 2018, and I'm still waiting. My ol laptop died and now I have to start building my beloved AutoCorrect library from scratch - such a pain without this

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree - Microsoft, why are you not listening to your customers?

Are there any alternatives to Word out there? If so, I'm switching.

waiting....
        Seriously? How hard will it be to restore this functionality? I love the comment below: "I used to think that adding Clippy to Office was the dumbest thing that Microsoft had ever done, but I see now that I was wrong. HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED YET?!"

So, please, get on it!!

WHERE IS IT??

SERIOUSLY - You people at Word are truly playing games with peoples' livelyhoods:(wow,that's spelled incorrectly, but - there's no feature that allows me to quickly correct teh spelling . . . .

This is just ridiculous !!!!!

[SORRY for any typos = but, I don't have a way to fix them]

Just upgraded from Word for Mac 2011 to 2016, and I'm astonished that this feature (and several others) have been deleted from the app. Now adding to Auto Correct takes about 10 times longer than it used to. PLEASE restore this feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base