Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

411 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

335 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add autocorrect right click facility. desperately needed for people with dyslexia

When I right click on a misspelled word that is underlined as misspelled it no longer pops up a suggestion to use. I have tried changing setting and that did not help. Any ideas?

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It sounds like the missing context menu functionality has been restored for Office 365 subscribers. Are there any plans to restore the functionality for Office 2016 .MSI installs?

• Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like most of the others - I get nothing when I right click on a misspelled word. HELP! Please make right click auto-correct standard or tell me how to load it back.

• Charles Kenyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stand corrected. The return is a bit subtle but it is there.

Right-click on spelling error brings up shortened context menu.
    If that has one or more suggestions, each will have a menu extension triangle on the right.
    Clicking on that will bring four choices for that suggestion:
    - Read Aloud
    - Change All
    - Add to AutoCorrect
    - AutoCorrect Options

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Charles - that is weird. Mine has been updated to Version 1811 (Build 11029.20079) and the right click auto-correct is definitely still there (I'm not making this up!). I'm not sure how it can be possible that it appears for some people and not others. Unless there are different versions of Office? Mine is Home and Business 2016. Really disappointing to hear that this hasn't been sorted for everyone, I really thought it had been fixed...

• R. S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the users completely. That feature was a staple function for me. It must be restored ASAP. Bad job by Microsoft programmers to leave it out.

• Hyper Odes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My version at work is MS Word 2016 MSO (16.4738.1000) 32 bits, and still not having this autocorrect option in the context menu...
    I was using it all days before we went from 2010 to 2016, now I miss it a lot !

PLEASE RESTORE THIS OPTION ASAP!

P.S. And also on all other MS Office 2016 apps (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc)

P.S. And also on all other MS Office 2016 apps (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, etc)

My version at work is MS Word 2016 MSO (16.4738.1000) 32 bits, and still not having this autocorrect option in the context menu...
    I was using it all days before we went from 2010 to 2016, now I miss it a lot !

PLEASE RESTORE THIS OPTION ASAP!

• Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My version of Word 2016 has been updated today when I came in to work (Version 1809 Build 10827.20150) and... the right click auto-correct option has returned! Can't find any mention of it in the release notes, but it is definitely there. I can hardly believe it.

• Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So.... it's 2.5 years after you said you're actively working to restore the right-click access to auto correct options and that if we are a 365 subscriber, we should see this change... I haven't seen it yet....am I missing something? I am about to stop subscribing

• Charles Kenyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2019 / 365

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the red squiggles bother me the entire time, distracting me while typing, because now, I cannot correct them easily and on the fly, without it interrupting my thoughts.

This is a huge loss of functionality and I would like to have the right-click Autocorrect menu restored to Word.

Greg Maxey wrote an Add-In to do this. It was broken when Word 2016 came out. He fixed it. Now it is broken again (does not work) with Word 2019 / 365. http://gregmaxey.com/word_tip_pages/customize_shortcut_menu.html#WACR

See https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10934853-restore-the-right-click-autocorrect-menu-to-word-2.
    That is a suggestion to do this with Word 2016 with hundreds of votes!

In February of 2016 a Microsoft rep said that it was being restored. It is years and another version of Word and it is still missing. This should not be that hard! If Greg could do it with an Add-In, why can't it be coded in?

Word Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com), you said on February 12, 2016 that you would add this feature. What is taking so long to restore this feature?

• Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a University Professor. The loss of this AutoCorrect option in the context menu is making my life MISERABLE!

Microsoft WHERE ARE YOU???

PLEASE fix this!! It's been over 2 years since you promised to fix this issue.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base