How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Paste without format shortcut!

It's quite annoying working with word and multiple sources of information because I need to paste into notepad and copy/paste again into word. I'm not the only one, everybody I know does the same. A shortcut like in Excel (Ctrl+Shift+C/V) would do wonders for the time I have left on this world.

(Also for an MS site you use a lot of Google and Amazon services to run this site!)

29 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay CroghanJay Croghan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Word Product Team [MSFT]AdminWord Product Team [MSFT] (Admin, Office.com) responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback. We do not have plans to add a dedicated paste as plain text shortcut to Word at this time. Here are a few options that may help you to paste as plain text quickly in Word.

1) Assign your own custom keyboard shortcut to “PasteTextOnly” by following these instructions: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-keyboard-shortcuts-9a92343e-a781-4d5a-92f1-0f32e3ba5b4d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#mouse
    2) Change the default paste options in Word by following these instructions: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Control-the-formatting-when-you-paste-text-20156A41-520E-48A6-8680-FB9CE15BF3D6#bm4
    3) Use Paste Recovery via keyboard to paste as plain text by hitting the Ctrl key after paste, followed by the letter t.
    4) Clear formatting on the text after pasting. Select the pasted text and hit Ctrl + Space.

Lastly, the suggested shortcut key is used in Word to paste formatting using the Format Painter: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Copy-formatting-using-the-Format-Painter-B9FE82EA-C0A0-41DE-837B-D2F15DD41EA9#__toc307480778

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam O'Hanlon-VideauSam O'Hanlon-Videau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many other programs are now using Ctrl+Shift+V to paste without formatting. Not having to right-click all the time would make using Word much more practical for me. Even though Word still outperforms Google Docs in many ways, this is actually a big enough deal for my work that I've found myself gradually shifting over to Google Docs!

• Daniel JamesonDaniel Jameson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the Ctrl+Shift+V for special paste idea. I would in the options page to choose whether the special paste was "plain text" or "merge format." I use merge format more than plain text.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can also right click where you want to paste and select the desired paste option from the dropdown menu. But this isn't something the user should have to do. It should be as easy as Ctl+Alt+V without requiring a macro.

• Peter WezelPeter Wezel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a short macro that does the Paste Special | As unformatted text for me. I stored the macro under Ctrl+Alt+V, but you can store it under any other key combination.
        But I also agree that a dedicated keyboard shortcut or even a dedicated function would be helpful.

Sub aaPaste without formatting()
        Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteText, Placement:=wdInLine, DisplayAsIcon:=False
        End Sub

• Suzanne S. BarnhillSuzanne S. Barnhill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can certainly use Paste Special | As unformatted text in Word. If you add the Paste Special button to the Quick Access Toolbar, you're that much closer to the solution. But I agree that a dedicated keyboard shortcut would be helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base