Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Bring back Light & Medium Gray Theme Colors

Apparently these theme colors were removed, and I don't understand why - it makes no sense to reduce the amount of customization people can have over the software they choose to own.

I hate too much white - it tends to bother my eyes. And the Dark Gray theme is too dark, in my opinion. Bring back the other options, or at the very least, alter the Dark Gray to what it used to be in Office 2013.

215 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jasmine shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

88 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company just upgraded us to office 365. I agree with the other comments. We need the light and medium grey options brought back, as the colours available are too much of a stain on the eyes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not enjoying the new look at all - too dark or too bright. Strain on the eyes, headache, tired. Not cool at all! Bring back the options!

• Tomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why you did this? It is disturbing to work with Outlook now. Very bad decision to remove the light gray theme.

Please bring back more themes selection in Office 2016. The choices provided are too contrasting and hard on the eyes. I prefer more subtle color options.

• ANON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, bring back the ability to choose our window background color in Excel and other office programs.

Bring back the ability to choose our window background color in Word and other office programs! We are not all teenagers/young adults who are using these programs. It is very, very hard on old eyes!

Just updated and really really wish the light grey was available - I've been looking at this screen for 10 minutes and my eyes are already killing me. I wish I could remove the update.

It is ridiculous to have less and not more customization available to users of your product, at the very least please bring back the light gray option

• Bob Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back some form of a medium color theme. The amount of white, and lack of contrast in both the colorful and white themes is hard on the eyes, as is the darkness in the Dark Grey and Black.

The colorful theme is interesting if you would place it with a light grey background for the menus and such

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Light grey a must of course. This dark and white are very bad for the eyes!

• Kiko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office 2010 was the last good-looking office but at least 2013 had the light gray option. I don't like any of the options now - whether colorful, dark gray or black. None of them look good for the eyes. Blue and gray of 2010 were the best options.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that's our biggest complaint in the office, The gray theme in Office is too dark but the white is to bright

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, please bring back light & medium gray, much easier on the eyes

Just "upgraded" to 365 yesterday and no more Light Gray theme. Seems like a downgrade to me, not happy at all.

Completely agree. The gray theme in Office is too dark but the white them IS WAAAAY TOO BRIGHT. The colorful theme gets old quickly.

• Andrea Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to be able to control the colors on my screen for Outlook, Word, and Edge, as I am unable to view white backgrounds for more than ~an hour before getting a migraine. I currently have custom colors set up in Windows via the Personalize / Window Color and Appearance panel (and have had for years), but Excel is the only Office program I use regularly that actually complies with my settings. The Dark Grey option is the best option currently available, but it doesn't affect the application background (and the framing is a bit too dark; the white text still feels too much like neon the same way it does on the black theme). I do not understand why Microsoft keeps removing functionality, particularly when it's related to accessibility. Let us customize everything individually the way we used to be able to do.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base