Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Bring back Light & Medium Gray Theme Colors

Apparently these theme colors were removed, and I don't understand why - it makes no sense to reduce the amount of customization people can have over the software they choose to own.

I hate too much white - it tends to bother my eyes. And the Dark Gray theme is too dark, in my opinion. Bring back the other options, or at the very least, alter the Dark Gray to what it used to be in Office 2013.

243 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jasmine shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

103 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must agree do not like the limited themes of Office 2016. The themes that are there are not great options.

Hello,
        the new color themes are very painful on the eyes. the white is too bright, the colorful is also very bright and hurts the eyes and the dark on the outside is fine but while using outlook and trying to read emails it is extremely difficult and also painful on my eyes. i have had a headache since our firm has converted to Windows 10 and MS office 2016. Please allow us to at a minimum be able to customize the colors so they are not painful on the eyes. thank you,

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have visual difficulties. I canNOT read any of the 4 new color themes! MS what's up? I don't know if this is in violation of the ADA, but I know I can't read them. Especially in Outlook where the slidey on the right of my favorites/folders does not appear unless you hover over it. Really frustrated and really inefficient at work now.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There used to be so many more ways of changing the look and feel of the Office apps years ago. I can remember being able to pick different colours. I don't understand the recent trend to remove functionality that was useful, and to reduce people's ability to customise their use on the P|C. The whole point of a PC over mobile devices like pads and phones is to have the power to configure. I certainly feel that the apps are becoming too restricted, on a whim of the developer as to what they think we might want. Please bring back all the colours/themes mentioned below, as well as allow us adults to decide for ourselves what we want our Office experience to look like cosmetically (i.e. pick and save our own themes).

Don't limit this to predetermined light and medium grays.

Eyesight is very personal and what works for one person can be horrible for another.

Look at Gmail .. There are so many colorful themese.. We should have similar for Outlook also

• Bns3429 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the light grey theme for Outlook. We use this app constantly every day and the offered themes are very harsh on eyes.

Please bring back the choice of Office theme colours. Three, White, Grey and Green are insufficient.

Please, bring back the ability to choose our window background color (paper space color) in Word, Excel and other office programs, Windows for that matter!!

• Jay Fiora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The light or medium gray theme should be brought back. For outlook the dark gray theme is terrible.

Add me as another user wanting a light gray option. The dark is too hard to read and the white causes migraines.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

How, when users have been asking for more than 2 YEARS, are there not more themes available? The options are truly awful! Too bright, or too dark, and no option to customise. I use a laptop for more than 8 hours a day, and this is going to cause serious eye strain and headaches.

I know that Microsoft takes neither its customer relations, nor its customer feedback seriously, but come on!

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company just upgraded us to office 365. I agree with the other comments. We need the light and medium grey options brought back, as the colours available are too much of a stain on the eyes.

Not enjoying the new look at all - too dark or too bright. Strain on the eyes, headache, tired. Not cool at all! Bring back the options!

• Tomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why you did this? It is disturbing to work with Outlook now. Very bad decision to remove the light gray theme.

Please bring back more themes selection in Office 2016. The choices provided are too contrasting and hard on the eyes. I prefer more subtle color options.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base