Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Bring back the valuable style checking tools that were removed from 2016!

In Office/Word 2016 you removed valuable style tools in spell checker (i.e., number of spaces after a sentence, contractions, punctuation inside or outside quotes, etc.) These are important in my job and if you check the MS forums you will see there are many others who want these tools back. Why do you "upgrade" but actually downgrade? Last time you removed the "ignore" feature in spellcheck!! If this is not resolved I will be cancelling my subscription to Office 365. To make matters worse, I am not able to roll back to Word 2013 as that was an "upgrade" I did through Office 365 and don't have a disc! I am also tweeting this problem on a regular basis to the world!

315 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Roberta Metalious shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

177 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this back! I upgraded to 2016 thinking it would be better, and now I am stuck with a product I cannot use for my job in transcription!

I instruct all my staff to use double spacing between sentences (after full stops), but you don't now have the feature to check it! You are abusing your power as the incumbent office application supplier and you are biting the hands that feed

• Xer0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why isnt this available for all versions? One would think that Professional Plus would be included?

• Sharon Walcott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now all of a sudden my spellcheck is giving my definitions. How do I go back to the original spellcheck version that just gives me the choice of spelling.

Proof checkers NEED the passive voice option. Put it back or face an angry mob welding torches and pitchforks!

After abandoning Office 2013, as I too was unable to get comfortable with it, I am now at the moment running Office 2010 alongside Office 2016 to make up the whole package, flipping from one to the other as needs arise. This is just one of the extraordinary measures people are trying to maintain a fully working Microsoft Office Word. I have never been a conspiracy theorist but how is this? Sinister as it may seem, it is to do with manipulation, where Microsoft deliberately sabotages their own products to steer their clientele. What is aimed at this time is get everybody on the Office 365 route. With Office 2013 it was mainly the themes that caused the unrest, where white or shades of dirty grey were on offer? What else but to irritate you enough to try out Office 2016, with its token colour option plus the dark dirty grey, really sad?! Now this, the Office 2016 ‘grammar and style’ being deliberately sabotaged hoping to irritate you enough to abandon standalone packages and take up their subscription based Office App, where they have promised ‘to do something about it’. Daft I know, but somehow…?!

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Office Pro Plus 2016 v1612 (Build 7668.2074) and don't have the "grammar and more" option....what's going on??? I know they removed it but how about putting it back -- forcing users to find alternative programs will result in lost customers!

• Beth Bujak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word 2016 should have the check style options back - (not office 316 - but the full version of office 2016 professional. It escapes me why you would remove a feature.

i see that Italian grammar check in 2016 is really limited than 2010 version!
        please implement a similar style checker!
        GP

I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, Office updates version 1611 (build 7571.2109). However I do NOT have access to the "grammar and more" option. Am I doing something wrong or is it a Microsoft error? I confirmed proofing language is set to English. Closed everything. Rebooted. And still I cannot access the additional options.

• muguripu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm that version 1611 (build 7571.2109) is still missing the options despite the official reply in this thread.

Here we have another excellent example of poor management in a big company. The responsible person deserves to be fired.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

Come on Microsoft, admit that this is not completed. Restore these features. Why is that so difficult

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not available in Word 16.0.7571.7063. I am so sorry I "upgraded" from Office 2013! I need the valuable proofing tools that were provided in earlier versions!

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VERY dissapointed that many useful features were removed from Word 2016. Without the passive voice checker and other style options, Word has been reduced to a basic word processor. Customers may as well use free open office. I WANT A REFUND!

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any plans for an update to bring all the style tools back? I bought Word 2016 and am VERY upset MS decided to remove these features? Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense!

I used the passive sentences feature extensively. I was very disappointed that Word 2016 was missing this feature. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!

• Geoff P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Passive style checker is missing. This is (was) a great tool for checking documents - both technical and bid work.

I have also noticed that the option to check for passive sentences is missing from Office/Word 365. This is an important option for anyone where writing is a significant part of their job, ie bloggers or students. I will also move to a different product if the passive sentence check is not added to Office 365.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base