Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Bring back Offline Help in Office 2016

In Office 2013 and previous versions it was possible to choose between Online Help and Offline Help. In Office 2016 there is only Online Help, Offline Help is no longer available. Please bring back this option.

81 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

126 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Paste without format shortcut!

It's quite annoying working with word and multiple sources of information because I need to paste into notepad and copy/paste again into word. I'm not the only one, everybody I know does the same. A shortcut like in Excel (Ctrl+Shift+C/V) would do wonders for the time I have left on this world.

(Also for an MS site you use a lot of Google and Amazon services to run this site!)

29 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. We do not have plans to add a dedicated paste as plain text shortcut to Word at this time. Here are a few options that may help you to paste as plain text quickly in Word.

1) Assign your own custom keyboard shortcut to “PasteTextOnly” by following these instructions: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Customize-keyboard-shortcuts-9a92343e-a781-4d5a-92f1-0f32e3ba5b4d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#mouse
        2) Change the default paste options in Word by following these instructions: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Control-the-formatting-when-you-paste-text-20156A41-520E-48A6-8680-FB9CE15BF3D6#bm4
        3) Use Paste Recovery via keyboard to paste as plain text by hitting the Ctrl key after paste, followed by the letter t.
        4) Clear formatting on the text after pasting. Select the pasted text and hit Ctrl + Space.

Lastly, the suggested shortcut key is used in Word to paste formatting using the Format Painter: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Copy-formatting-using-the-Format-Painter-B9FE82EA-C0A0-41DE-837B-D2F15DD41EA9#__toc307480778

• Bring back the Object Browser

Word 2013 eliminated the "browse arrows" and Select Browse Object button from the vertical scroll bar. Although partial replacements for this utility are available in the Navigation pane and Go To dialog, none of them are as convenient as the simple browse arrows.

A search for "browse object" in the Word forum at Microsoft Community (http://goo.gl/eC3IZy) shows that many users are puzzled by and/or unhappy about the loss of this utility.

26 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Get back offline help in Office 2016

Yesterday I was writing Excel formulas while traveling, needed some help about the functions, and had the really bad surprise to discover that Office 2016 has no offline help anymore. This is a real pity. There are so many places where you simply can't be online. And there are people who can't afford it because mobile data is just too expensive. What's the next step, will I need to be connected to the Internet to save a document to my own hard drive, or simply to startup Word? I'm kind of tempted to downgrade to Office 2013.

45 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Bring back the option to scan documents in word2016

There's no sense in removing the option to scan documents in Word 2016.
            The workaround you defend in the foruns (scan a document, place in onenote and then in word2016) is so windows 1............

80 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! There are two alternative methods today that you can use to import scanned content into Word. 1) Use the Office Lens app, available on Android, iOS, and Windows devices. This app allows you to scan a document from your phone, and has updated scanning and OCR technology  that allows you to easily send the recognized content to a Word document. 2) You can still use a physical scanner to scan a document as a PDF. Then open the PDF document from the Word app, which will import the PDF into Word for editing.

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base