Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Use the pen as a mouse

Latest update, the pen now is locked in Ink mode apparently by design. Please give us back the option to have it return to a mouse/select objects mode. I don't always have my keyboard attached to my Surface when editing documents, and the pen was very handy for highlighting text, moving the cursor around with precision, and the always easier ability to right click something. Look, some of us have big fingers, just saying. It's frustrating to hit the wrong word all the time when I used to be able to just tap the word with my Pen.

I don't…

292 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

360 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I wanted to let everyone know that in the update to Office that started rolling out to Insiders today, you will find a new preference in the Options dialog to allow you to make the pen select instead of ink by default. Enabling this preference will make the pen function exactly like it did before, plus you can use the options on the Draw tab if you do decide you want to ink. If you are an Office Insider (which anyone can join), you should get this update within the next day or so. If you are not an Office Insider, it may take another week or two to reach you.

This is a per-app preference, so you can enable selection by default in Excel for instance while leaving ink as the default in Word and PowerPoint, or you can switch all three. To access this preference select File >…

• Bring back the valuable style checking tools that were removed from 2016!

In Office/Word 2016 you removed valuable style tools in spell checker (i.e., number of spaces after a sentence, contractions, punctuation inside or outside quotes, etc.) These are important in my job and if you check the MS forums you will see there are many others who want these tools back. Why do you "upgrade" but actually downgrade? Last time you removed the "ignore" feature in spellcheck!! If this is not resolved I will be cancelling my subscription to Office 365. To make matters worse, I am not able to roll back to Word 2013 as that was an "upgrade" I…

316 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

172 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Read aloud in other than English language

Only 5.85% of population is "reading and writing" in English, so Im asking you to get BIG focus to get functional Windows 8.1 Operating System Language Pack + Word 2016 Read aloud combination for proofing&reading the text in Word 2016 in all major languages including Finnish.

Your action to get this task on the development list would be very much alligned with your own strategy and also with United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRDP).

ALTOUGH the United States of the America has still not ratified the convention while Angola, Tanzania and other 3rd world countires…

14 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Read aloud reads text in the default speech language of your operating system. For information on how to add additional text-to-speech voices see, How to download Text-To-Speech languages for Windows: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-download-TextToSpeech-languages-for-Windows-4c83a8d8-7486-42f7-8e46-2b0fdf753130. If this functionality still does not meet your needs please let us know. Help on Learning Tools in Word can be accessed via Learning Tools in Word: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learning-Tools-in-Word-29efa413-e2da-4cac-b2a5-2defc6d34fd9.

• word 2016 style pane corrupt or buggy after update

The style pane in word 2016 no longer works after some December update. Selecting a style in the pane results in a random style 3 to 8 lines above it being selected. Macros were also lost after this update. We uninstalled recent updates but were not able to restore functionality. The only resolution has been to downgrade to 2013.

42 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Pen Support in Office

The use of a Pen in Office (excluding OneNote) doesn't differentiate between a pen and finger when touching the screen. So when you are using a pen but touch the screen with a finger a line is drawn. This is a frustrating implementation of digital ink that has existed in office (excluding OneNote) forever.

Conversely. The Office implementation of digital ink on IOS (iPad Pro and Apple Pencil) is perfect. You can select Pen or Finger and don't get both.

Not sure why an IOS implementation of digital ink would be better than the implantation in WIN10, OFFICE 2016 and…

17 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • passive voice

I need passive voice checker back, PLEASE.

67 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Fix QAT buttons spacing

With the update to Office 2016 the Quick Access Toolbar icons spacing was enlarged. The Mouse/Touch option does not work and the QAT now requires several rows.

PLEASE fix this!!!

39 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)