Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Footnotes: Arabic style footnotes

In most arabic literature footnotes references are surrounded with brackets and printed as superscript in the body of the text.
    but printed between brackets and as normal text in the bottom of the page.

الحواشي : أسلوب الترقيم العربي
    في معظم المطبوعات العربية يتم إدراج مرجع الحواشي بين قوسين وكنص مرتفع ضمن المتن
    بينما تدرج بين قوسين وكنص عادي أسفل الصفحة

88 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Feynman Slash Notation

A commonly used notation in Quantum Field Theory is the so-called Feynman slash notation, which is simply a forward slash going through a letter ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_slash_notation ). Throughout my studies this is probably the only symbol I was unable to find in MS Office.

It would be quite convenient to add it within the Equation editor, as an "Accent" for example, allowing the user to apply it to any letter or symbol.

26 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add the automatic spaces back to the times symbol in equation editor.

Up until a few weeks ago, there has always been automatic spacing around all operators in equation editor. After a recent 2017 update, the times multiplication symbol no longer automatically spaces properly. All other operators continue to automatically space. This automatic spacing for the times symbol still exists in PPT and Excel, just not Word for Windows or Word for Mac. It looks like a glitch that went out in the last update.

38 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Inline MathType equations appear raised above the baseline in Microsoft Word

Inline MathType equations appear raised above the baseline in Microsoft Word.
          Issue: (from website of MathType company)
          Once a saved file that contains a MathType equation at the end of a line has been re-opened in Microsoft Word, the Character Spacing Position properties will have been set to "Lowered" thus causing the baseline to shift downward relative to the surrounding text. This occurs when saving the file as a .docx format (does not occur on files saved as .doc format).

Many users and I are using MathType and encounter the above problem. It is really inconvenient for people working with…

70 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Natural Gestures / Actions that Enable Copyediting Marks with Ink Editor

Natural gestures is a GREAT start, but please continue to expand the capabilities of ink editor. As an attorney I work in word nearly all day long. Ever since Microsoft released the surface pro, I've prayed for the ability to edit word files using copyediting marks and the pen.

Anyone who does editing of large word documents knows there is a big difference between editing text using the keyboard and track changes and editing text with a pen. That is why a lot of people, like attorneys, book editors, authors, etc. still print out their draft documents, mark them up…

37 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Email notification when @mentioned in a comment

When reviewing a document, I would like to be able to @mention someone in a comment bubble and have them receive an email notification indicating that they need to address something in the document.

110 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Improve digital signatures

Improving digital signatures, I believe that in the near future this will be a feature that is used much because the tendency is to stop using paper, so the use of alternative mechanisms such as digital signatures (certificates) or (biometrico as tablets wacom) will be one of the features that users will use daily.

Currently the functionality of digital signatures work well, however as a user think it could be improved by including more information regarding errors during the process of signing, suggestions on how to fix some errors in the firms, make more beautiful generally provide more elements tools…

36 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • LIVE WORD COUNT NEEDED!!

I'm a professional editor, and live word count is a must-have feature. I still use Word 2011 because it has live word count and Word 2016 doesn't. I keep checking to see if this has been added back in, but it has not. I don't understand why Microsoft would have gotten rid of this feature. It's so frustrating that they got rid of a feature so important to writers, editors, and students!

I am also tired of people saying it's there. These people obviously don't know what live word count is. Word 2016 has word count. It does NOT have…

82 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • add anchor tool for tables

I was trying to understand how table positioning work in word and I noticed that it's relatively similar to frame positioning
                    but the difference is: tables don't have anchor tool while frames have.

Tables ,however, are anchored to text just like frames and images and if i select the paragraph to which a table is anchored , the table is selected with it, but sadly ,I can't change the anchor position of a table because there is no anchor tool

25 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Multilingual Composer (like on Facebook)

I think Microsoft Word, and other Microsoft Office products (Excel, Power Point, Sway, Access, etc) should have a way to easily manage multiple languages!

For instance, it should be easier than saving as and creating a new document! It could have a language switcher in which I choose in what language I'm seeing the document at the moment, and create a new language version.

Another useful tool would be a way to manage the translation process, marking parts in not-translated, automatically translated (needing review), and fully translated. And it'd be very cool to easily view the original text so I…

23 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support Inserting Vector PDFs Without Compression

Currently when you go to insert - object and try and insert a pdf into a word document it is compressed so much that it becomes too pixelated for any professional use. The workaround is to convert a pdf file to a different file type and insert, but it would be nice if this wasn't necessary.

28 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Word randomly rescales equations and other embedded objects

Sometimes in a Word document containing several equations, after closing and re-opening Word, the equations have been randomly re-scaled. The proportions aren't off by more than a few percent, but it's noticeable. An example would be height & width of 97x101%, when of course the original was 100x100%. To be clear, this isn't with a specific version of WinWord, but it is specific to equations created MS Equation 3.0 and MathType -- IOW, equation objects. We've seen this happen with other objects too, primarily embedded Excel charts, so it does seem like it's Word causing the issue, and not Equation…

95 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add character count to status bar

In the age of content creation with Word dominating the market, everyone can agree that character count is often more important than word count. And it's a pain in the neck having to click word count 500 times when you're writing just to keep checking the character count...

It begs the question - what are bloggers and hired writers using to write short- and medium-form content? Surely there are any number of use cases that require a large percentage of writers to use character count, such as myself and many others who've had this question, including proofreaders, people who create…

37 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Restore pinned folders in Save options in all Office products

Before the most recent branch 16.0.6568.2025 we had the ability to pin frequently used folders we saved document in, in all parts of Office. Since this new version it takes more steps to save files in the places we want them. Many people are upset by this change. Please bring back this ability to pin directories. See othger feedback below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-officeapps/cant-pin-folders-anymore-in-excelword-2016/dd3c3e6f-ee1d-4f30-ada0-408246e43e7a

329 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

106 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • File > Save As > Create New Folder - PLEASE

When you go to save as and browse your team sites/libraries what would be great is to be able to create new folders in those libraries. Its a pain when you go to save something but then have to go into SPO to create the folder for you to then save into. This is across the whole office suite

28 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Stop automatically maximizing all minimized documents whenever a new one is opened.

Stop automatically maximizing all minimized documents (and workbooks in Excel) whenever a new document is opened. This is unnecessary since the Task View and other options allow one to see more than one document at a time. When all minimized documents pop back up whenever a new one is opened, we just have to re-minimize them again. It's a nuisance.

58 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Provide an option to disable the "Welcome Back!" pop-up, or make it non-modal

When opening a Word document I'm presented with a "Welcome Back!" pop-up that lets me move to my last reading position. Though I've never wanted to use this feature, I have no problem with it.

Or rather--I would have no problem with it if it weren't input-blocking. I have to wait for the pop-up to disappear before I can type anything.

This may sound inconsequential, but I have some Word documents with reference material, and I'm frequently opening them for as quick a lookup as I can manage. As soon as I open them I hit Ctrl-F to search. My…

85 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Please disable Insert Controls in Word table

MS Word tables allow you to automatically insert a row or column when your pointer is over the end of row or top of column. This very often causes accidental insertion of a row or column, which you then have to undo. Since it is VERY easy to use other means to insert rows or columns, it is a waste of time and very annoying. Please allow users to turn off the Insert Controls feature if they do not wish to use it.

86 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • button for updating all fields in the entire document

You can have fields on several places: header, footer, body, text boxes etc. If you use CTRL + A and F9 to update all your fields, you will only update the fields in the body, not in header/footer and text boxes.

At the moment there is one work around: select 'file -> options -> display -> update fields before printing'. Next, whenever you do 'file -> export -> create PDF/XPS' and save it somewhere in a temporary directory, all fields (including header/footer and text boxes) are updated.

I was told this last step was not necessary and clicking 'print preview'…

38 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Make the Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for 2016 and 365

Word and OneNote 2013 had a fantastic add-in for math. It allowed you to solve math problems, even complex formula, and then graph them in graphs that could have the variables manipulated. It was a great teaching tool that I have now lost. Please bring it back!

204 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base