Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Free choice of typographical quotation marks

In german speaking countries different quotation marks are usual. The preferences in "Autoformat" only allow one preinstalled intelligent changing from " to opening or closing quotation mark in typographical style. In Germany and Austria these are primary 99 lower opening style and 66 upper closing style; but authoring books the >>chevron style<< is needed. In Switzerland typical << french guillemets >> are in use, but in education ist's the german standard 99/66.
    For changing the quotation marks to the preferred style, it is neccessary to use individual Autocorrections or change all standard quotation afterwards by Find & Replace or Makro.…

239 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. i am using word on the web hotmail app. when i select zoom a document the potion appear in the middle of the screen. thats just too much mou

the zoom menu on the web app appears in the middle of the screen and asks for pressing the ok button.

i suggest to put the zoom menu very near to the zoom selection button and by just clicking the desired zoom go there without the need to make another click on the ok button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save as costs too much clicks and operations

The save as functionality costs too much.
    When i click "save as" and choose computer option, recent folders (which never correspond to what i want) are suggested.
    I can click "browse" or choose a folder from the list, and then the explorer is shown.

So any ways, why making this painful recent list to show explorer at the end. This really is a pain.

Besides, recent folders is difficult to read because one is used to see it shown as a tree, rather than a list.
    So for myself, even if the correct folder is in the "recent" list, i'll…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. UI: Make User clickable elements visible as such

Just tripped over a recurring issue. The problem is in 2013 many clickable elements are not identifiable. The specific example is the File > New pane in Word 2013. There is a search input window with a number of search terms under it. But there is no visual way of identifying that those search terms are clickable, they just look like text labels. Just below those search terms are 2 more "titles", ie "Featured" and "Personal". They look like labels but are clickable tabs

There really needs to be some visual indication that an element is clickable. Either a button…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Restore "Protected View" functionality to how it worked 4 weeks ago

When trying to open a file downloaded from a Web site (such as gmail) Word, PowerPoint and Excel now complain that the file is corrupted or has a permissions problem. This seems to have started after an update that was pushed to Office 365 customers a few weeks ago. The Answers forum us claiming that this is by design. If so, it is a poor design, poorly implemented. We now must disable Protected View entirely to return to the old behavior. This is clearly a mistake.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. bugs in captions

I noticed that when you insert an item into a document there is an option for adding a caption about it above or below, but the the format is fixed and somewhat buggy. It only allows the caption to be labeled as 'figure (int):' in italics, and any change to overall formatting, like centering text by default, will cause the text input to continue out of the visible field. The best workaround is just inputting captions manually, but that defeats the purpose of this whole feature, and it seems like something that could be pretty useful in maintaining consistency in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow custom installation of Office 2016

The ability to customize the installation of Office 2016 has been removed so it is now NOT possible to only install the applications that are wanted and it's all or nothing.

Reinstate the ability for the user to install only the applications that they require.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create an MLA format

As a student, most of my teachers require papers to be formatted in a MLA or APA style. Having a template or button to click that would automatically format the word document into these styles would be extremely helpful and time saving!

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. mirror margins bug with mixed Portrait and Landscape orientation sections

Please fix the mirror margin bug that occurs in multiple section mixed Portrait and Landscape orientation documents in which the binding gutter in the Landscape sections does not alternate properly between odd and even pages.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option in Print Preview mode to suppress gutters. The present way, the page jumps back and forth.

Displaying the gutters also requires a larger window, not a good situation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 11. Make the Match Case checkbox in Search > Options > Match Case more readily available, not buried! (Like Word 2007)

The search string disappears when one does Options > match Case. Trivial to fix and more convenient.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. If the whole doc is not in memory yet and the user wants a new index or TOC, tell him to wait or the index and TOC will be wrong.

It's hard to believe that someone was so stupid as to let a wrong index or TOC be computed when the whole doc is not yet in memory, with no warning. Amateurish, worthy only of version 0.0. FIX THIS!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Put fields off to the side like the markup notes. Having them inline is a major design error. More details on request.

With XE fields inline, turning View/Hide on and off completely changes the layout, making it impossible to check the fields and the text at the same time. Also one has to be careful to have Hide when computing an index or TOC. Putting fields to the side would have many more advantages. If anyone is interested I can list the many other advantages it would have.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Include ALL of the features from Microsoft Office to Microsoft Online to be able to edit our Word documents from anywhere, conviniently

I have noticed from my own usage of Microsoft Online that there are some features from a regular Microsoft Word program that are unavailable. I would find it convenient if all the features would also be incorporated into Microsoft Online so that I can be able to edit my documents in a maximum manner.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Resize comments areas

I would like to be able to resize the comments areas

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back the Jazztext font

The font Jazztext is amazing, and they removed it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base