Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Word 2016 fails to print margins correctly / messes up layout (Possible OpenType .otf Font bug)

I am having severe problems with Word 2016, as it does not print the document layout correctly as it somehow messes up the margin when printing.
    NOTE: This happens when printing to Adobe Acrobat DC and my physical printer!
    My document layout:
    • no markup,
    • custom margins (set to 1,27cm top / bottom and left / right - my printer can easily handle these...)
    • no header or footer
    • paper size set to A4 in all settings

INTERESTING:
    When I changed the fonts to Arial, the PDF printed correctly!
    The 2 custom fonts I used, are both .otf …

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

115 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Correct all the damaged Draw functions in Word 2013

Many of the Draw functions in Word 2013 are defective as compared to Word 2003. Some have also been poorly redesigned.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Calculator

My idea is to have a calculator in Microsoft Word. The calculator as an example is able to perform these basic calculations: adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, percentage, square root, etc. In addition, there the most common maths shapes such as Square, Triangle, Rectangle, Rhombus etc.

Then, the calculator can solve equations such as algebra and geometry etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make "Tell me what you want to do work" with voice

Make "Tell me what you want to do" work with Cortana or someting like that

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. WORD 2016 bug resulting in error will not print - not enough memory or disk space to repaginate or print this docment

WORD 2016 bug resulting in error will not print - not enough memory or disk space to repaginate or print this document. Having been through MS support service resulting in remote assistance to totally remove and re-install Office 365 Home and checks on machine memory, everything up to date we could still not print a 3.6meg 2 page document in .docx format or save to pdf. Yet it would print if saved to .doc format and if moved into Publisher which I also use for 35meg publications with no problem. There is obviously some sort of memory leak. or management…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Creative Commons

You should let other people add on the work of others

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Select text by format (i.e. colour, font, size, underline, italic, bold etc.)

I'm lazy and I often type notes that need to be changed or removed at a later date in red italics. These are normally spread throughout my document and need to be deleted at some point. It would be great if i had the option to select all of the text that fit a certain formatting rule so i could change or delete it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add font editor tool with Word to create custom fonts

Sometimes I would like to make one or two changes to a font, such as having a descending 'f' like Old English and Irish have, but there's no way to do so in Word. I would like Microsoft to release a tool to edit easily any system default font, and save it as a custom font.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add ability to enter text boustrephedon style in addition to LTR and RTL

I work with foreign and ancient languages, and some of them were not written strictly right to left or left to right. Some are written "boustrephedon":style, that is, first row left-to-right, second row right-to-left, then back to left-to-right, alternating each line. When text is left-to-right, the letters are seen normally. When it's right-to-left, the letters are reversed. This is often found in Runic writing which is also supported in Unicode fonts.

My request is, allow me to highlight a paragraph, and mark its text direction as 'boustrephedon' so that the text will flow alternating left-to-right, then right-to-left, each line, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to create new proofing tools for a new language

I often work with old, extinct languages, and constructed languages. I would like there to be a tool for Word that would allow me to create proofing tools for languages such as Middle High German, Old English, Latin, and even "Niw Englisc." I need to be able to specify letters, accent marks, declensions, grammar, inflections, sorting order, boustrephedon-style typing, and so on, but there is no publicly available way to do this.

My request is simple: release proofing tools developer toolkits that are easily usable by the public so we can create proofing tools for languages you don't currently serve.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Have the File "office stage" page be optional and give us the option to have the "Office button" small menu back

The new Office Stage (full page that appears when you click file) is a huge waste of space, and is not incredibly intuitive to me as an advanced user, and to novice users coming from other systems.

My request is to make this optional, and to restore the Office button we had in Office 2007, with its very obvious functions, indicated by icons and text on the left-hand side, and recent documents on the right-hand side. This was much more user-friendly and intuitive, as it was familiar to everyone. I don't like the current File page, and I suspect a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. restore the right-click Autocorrect menu to Word 2016

In Word 2007 and 2010, if you misspelled a word, you could right click, and there, in the right-click menu, was an option for "Auto-Correct" with a fly-out menu to the right, with suggested words, and at the bottom "Autocorrect options." This menu allowed me to speed up my typing by adding corrections to the Autocorrect dictionary on the fly, letting Word learn my typing style and common mistakes.

Now, this is hidden in File, Options, Autocorrect, behind a series of obscure menus that take time, and hinder my workflow. If I'm on a typing roll, and inspiration hits, the…

442 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

362 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We want to let you know that the Word team has heard your feedback, and they’re planning to restore right-click access to AutoCorrect options in Word 2016. If you’re an Office 365 subscriber, you should see this change in a future update.

As always, thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it!

13. Add in American Medical Association (AMA) citations.

Since Microsoft Word is the default word processing program for professionals and students, adding in the AMA citation format would save a lot of manual work that medical professionals, researchers, and students are required to do to use AMA format.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please add the correct spelling of "Utahn" to the dictionary.

I am a lifelong resident of Utah. This is how Utahn is spelled. Word spell-check spells it "Utahan" and auto-corrects the correct spelling to this wrong spelling. Feel free to check with local Utah news outlets and educators to verify that "Utahn" is the correct spelling.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow users to toggle date stamp in Review comments

Formerly I used to see the date of each Comment in the right-hand markup section. Now I can only see the date by hovering. Since a Support person told me there's no way to toggle the dates on and off, I'll have to go through a 460+page document and manually add all those dates to the comment area! Please add a feature that allows users to check a box showing whether they want the Comment dates displayed or not.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Change DOCX file format Structure

Right now, the body text of the file is stored near the physical end of the file. When some poor chump does not shut down his USB device correctly in Windows and therefore does not flush the cache they lose the body text.

If a file is going to be corrupted, USERS would much rather lose "useless" carp like formatting information before losing their document content: Body text, inserted images, tables etc.

So suggestion, change the physical file organization to move content to the front / top of the physical file. Maybe you could use shortcuts or symbolic link technology…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. It doesn't need to be too much complicated!!

This new, Word 2016 is a bit too complicated and its hard to find stuff which I usually used to easily find in the previous Words.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Create Text Boxes that look like WhatsApp & Facebook Chats

Sometimes people want to recreate the look / feel of app chats for joke / advertising purposes etc
    Be a nice easy win for viral awareness of the "hipness" of Office for youngsters

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. It would be good if things could remain working nicely the way they used to. In other word, if something works, don't fix it.

Microsoft Word is a wonderful program. But I don't like any fancy new formats and having "anything switched around". The basic, simple Word is what I believe people want. Being confused and distracted and having to figure things out, is definately not enjoyable and slows down the writing process.Thank you so much.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. give me directly on my net

directly on my e-mail as simple. as I do not know how to open the way you are sending

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base