Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Bold Whole Word Where Cursor Is

In prior versions of Word, if you hit CTRL+B, the whole word was bolded. Now, you must use the mouse to highlight the word first. The old way was faster and easier.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In prior versions of Word, if you hit CTRL+B, the whole word was bolded. Now, you must use the mouse to highlight the word first.

In prior versions of Word, if you hit CTRL+B, the whole word was bolded. Now, you must use the mouse to highlight the word first.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Fix editing of embedded Excel workbook objects with multiple monitor scaling

I use a lot of Word documents with embedded Excel workbook objects. When using systems with multiple monitors, editing of embedded worksheets breaks if the monitors have different scaling.

For example if I am using a laptop with an external monitor and try to edit an embedded Excel object, the workbook will open in a separate Excel window instead of within the Word document. As a result, there is no way to change the range of cells that are displayed in Word. This only occurs if the scaling on the two monitors is different.

The workarounds are to either disconnect…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow enabling of Track Changes of entire folders

I have hundreds of documents (Word and Excel) that I would like to enable Track Changes on. Currently it can only be done one file at a time (open file, enable Track Changes, close file). Would be great if I could apply this to multiple files or entire folders at once.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add flexibility and more customization when changing colours (under Design Tab) and the facility to add labels

A few ideas with this one after customising a document for a client. I would like to see more flexibility to alter the colours in the Design tab.

Idea 1: Enable more accent colours to be added - 6 is limiting and my client wanted 8 colours in their document for example - I managed to do this but the colour palette should have been customisable to make this easier.

Idea 2: Enable more Text and Background colours to be added - 4 is too limiting and it would be great if the number could be determined by the user

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Show Dictate tool when a user searches "speech to text" i search bar

I recommend showing the Dictate tool inside of Microsoft Word when a user enters "speech to text" into the search bar inside of Microsoft Word ( located top center of desktop application).

This is a little embarrassing, but as a native english speaker, I didn't know that "dictate" could mean "read aloud" until now (at age 22). I just think "speech to text" is a pretty popular term and a lot of people could miss out of this feature because the Dictate tool doesn't show up when "speech to text" is entered into the search bar inside of Word.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Microsoft Dynamics Navision

Microsoft Dynamics Navision. is an ERP solution developed by Microsoft for small and mid-market companies (SMEs). The solution offers product functionality covering financial management, supply chain management, manufacturing, project management, and service management. Dynamics NAV Microsoft is the former name of Dynamics 365 Business Central.

https://www.nevastech.com/solutions/microsoft-dynamics-erp/microsoft-dynamics-nav/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hotels and Resorts

Are you planning a relishing trip with your family or friends and are searching for the best hotel? But don’t know how to get the best hotel at the minimum possible price? That’s okay, don’t worry, we are here to help.

When you are picking an accommodation for your next trip, there are a plethora of vital aspects to take into consideration. A hotel, where you stay on your trip, can make or break your vacation pleasure, so it is important that you get the right hotel according to your needs. At the time of hotel booking, you should choose…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow users to restore the old format for comments in Word

The new format for comments in Word is not user friendly. I have spent the whole morning with Microsoft Support trying to restore my older version of Microsoft 365 but it was unsuccessful. The new format for "modern comments" is not ready for roll-out and should be halted until more work is done on it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. create temporary shortcut(certain command) to paste common word during writting

hi, i have suggestion in MS word, it would be helpful and time effective especially during typing (writing) documents for those common or repetitive group of words, for the writer to have an option on creating a temporary command or shortcut which can be able to paste certain group of word without retyping it over and over again or without highlight it and paste to a place he wants to write it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Custom Combination of Styling Option

In word we can use different styling for different word. Now let's say one styling combination is: 1st - Font: Calibri light, Bold, Color: red, Size: 14 for 2nd combination it may be 2nd - Font: Arial, Italic, Color: Black, Size: 11. Now if we have to use this combination in several different places then we have to click on all these 4 buttons again and again. So if we can create one option say comb1 if we
    Click on it all 4 combinations will apply to the text. It will reduce our time drastically. Currently, I am facing this…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add "Sheets" to Word like in Microsoft Excel

So in Microsoft Excel, you can have multiple tabs called "sheets" and it's all saved as one document or entity. Microsoft Word should also work like this and have this feature so instead of wasting space by saving multiple Word documents to OneDrive or your local storage, you can just have the one Word document with "sheets" separating each section of the document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix SpellChecker to not flag words with embedded punctuation with red squigglies

The Word spellchecker has an annoying way of treating two words separated by a '.' as one word. For example,

System.Exception should not get a squiggly line since it is just something containing two valid words separated by a '.'. Word correctly recognizes the '<' symbol as not being part of a word. For example

Dictionary<TKey, TValue> does not flag 'Dictionary' with a red squiggly line. It does correctly flag 'TKey' as not being a word in its spell-checker (although apparently 'TValue' is). However, if you remove the space between TKey and TValue as in

Dictionary<TKey,TValue> then it flags 'TKey,TValue'…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display full edited footnote text on mouseover of the number like e-pub files do

Please, allow Word to display full edited footnotes text (including bold and italics characters) as a pop-up window on mouseover of the reference number, instead of showing them as fixed text on the foot of the page.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Switch absolute and relative time in comments and markups

It should be possible to always display absolute time and dates of when a comment was added. It can be important to know when exactly a comment or markup was added. It's not conceivable that a change from more than a week ago should have a more precise time stamp than a change from today or yesterday.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Kommentarfunktion

Bezug Fallnummer in Bezug für die heutige Sitzung: 1022031880

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
    eben habe ich lange mit dem Support geredet und er meinte, ich solle das Problem an Sie wenden.
    Es geht um die neue Kommentarfunktion, die vielleicht für Teamsitzungen praktisch sein mag, aber nicht für Einzelpersonen. Als Autor und Lektor kommentiert man die Texte allein und schickt sie dann weiter. Man braucht dann keine umständliche Bestätigung für jeden einzelnen Kommentar - außer einem selbst sieht die sowieso erst mal niemand.
    Durch die neue Funktion wird meine ganze Arbeit total gebremst: Ich muss ständig jeden Kommentar extra bestätigen,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Limit search to selected part of document

It should be possible to select a part of the document and then search (in the navigation pane, ctrl-f) or search and replace (ctrl-h) only that part of the document. Especially in large documents this would help.

It happens fairly often that I want to replace a certain word only in part of the document, so that limiting search or search and replace to only that part of the document would make life much easier.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. WORD User Properties stay with User Data in Cloud

The basic WURD settings that are customizable by the User, and apply to all documents, should live as a part of the user's 365 account information. Currently, a user has to set these options to match their personal preferences on each machine that they use - I have four in my home and trying to keep them all with the same settings/preferences or remember which computer is going to behave in which manner becomes frustrating If these settings lived with the users account data in the cloud the would be available for that user on any machine, in any location,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The best slot machines

Hello everyone, I have been playing slots for several years, but I still haven't found any where you can really win big, maybe you can advise me which slot machine is the most profitable?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 504 505
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base