Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. please allow disabling the collapse/expand option on style sheets!

it is a pain! those arrows are too easy to press inadvertantly, and then you have no idea where you text has gone, especially if you are in the middle of editing and you are going back and forth! The one thing that is good about Word is that you have all these options, and you can make the program fit you, not the other way around! please allow a disabling option! I have been using Word since the 80's, that option was not there until now, and I NEVER missed it!! And if somebody wants it, great - make…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Make the resume where you left off feature work consistanly

Quite often when I open a Word document, the feature that allows you to resume where you left off does not work. This is a nice feature but it should work every time. This occurs with the latest version of Windows 10 and some earlier versions and been occurring with several versions of Office 365.

Please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Why on earth have you taken away the search (for commands) box?

Please, please, please bring this back. I keep going to find commands using the box and its not there, and then have to spend ages searching through menus to find what I need. Why on earth did you take this away? It was such a useful time-saving tool. Please, please, please reinstate it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please get rid of the huge navigation pane

Honestly. Do your developers actually even use/try out the "improvements" they force upon your users? Who on earth thought that making the navigation pane practically swallow up the entire doc every time you press "control f" was a good idea? Certainly not anyone who actually has to work on Word docs all the time, like me. Just get rid of it. Or at least give us the users the option to permanently shrink it as the default option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Change default margins, as it would save a lot of paper when printing

Hello, I think that reducing a little bit the default margins would hugely reduce the use of paper around the world. In my Word version, default margins are 2,5 cm (up and down) and 3 cm (left and right). If they were changed to 2,25 cm (up, down, left and right), I think that page design would not be compromised and the amount of paper printed would decrease (as more text would fit in each page). This idea seems reasonable considering the high number of people who use Microsoft Office Word and print documents with the default margins. It would…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Can't even find center, left side or right side. Why did you make this soo hard to use!!!!!!!

MAKE IT EASIER!! Please help me. It must be easier than this. I was doing simple page layout 20 years ago. Impossible now!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Will you update small caps please?

I am wondering if Word plans on introducing a "true small caps" feature, like Libre Office has. Most opentype fonts include separate characters for small caps, but Word doesn't let me use them. Instead, the so-called "small caps" feature in the character-formatting menu mimics small caps by using ALLCAPS set at a lower point size--for instance, the lower-case small caps in 12 points are just all caps in 11 points, and sized up, lower-case small caps at 36 points are just all caps line 29 points. These workaround creates fake small caps, because most fonts have a specifically designed set…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Footnote Continuation Separator

When the user sets the footnote continuation separator (in Draft View, Show Notes), Word should actually display the continuation separator as the user sets it. This used to display properly in old versions of Word but was dropped many years ago (although, strangely, even in 2020, the user is still given the option to create a continuation separator different from the primary footnote separator even though the former cannot actually display differently.

So either allow the user's continuation-separator input to display in print view or don't allow the user to edit it. I'd prefer to see the different continuation separator…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. update art in page borders

RE: MS Word in Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, ver.16.0. The MS Word page border art offered has not changed (that I know of) for years. Some new designs and color options to download and improve border art options might include: emoji border; holiday designs; flowers, flourishes and other options. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. don't force me to use your silly system--I don't want to see my files where my Internet is .

11/29/2020 I discovered--or maybe your instructions are not clear--that I could not work when my files were shown as additional internet pages. In other words, I decided to save MY files on my computer. I have chosen not to use your ONE DRIVE. And now when I go to save one of my files, using your program, I am told that it is an earlier version and your system refuses to allow me to save it in the most modern form.

I get the feeling that I have No Choice but to use ONE Drive, and yet I should have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. add picture and page number to footer

add picture and page number to footer or header at the same time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Default Table/Figure Captions

I'd love to be able to make my Caption-Figure and Caption-Table captions the defaults, so when I insert new captions it automatically uses the correct one. Having only one Caption style is impractical because I want different things depending on whether it sits above or below the object (spacing, keep with next, etc.).

Having to manually change every caption in a document with hundreds of each is a pain - and it's virtually impossible to train everyone to use the correct caption style.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Well I want to say you have all things covered. Maybe check the Door before we let them in on Free Software.

They hacked my software In LENVO put something on mine a new Browser. This shift Windows Key & S does not work when they already took he White Board.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. When announcing new features, clearly and explicitly identify which are result of user feedback

If you want people to continue using the Feedback process you have to prove to them you are listening.
    In your blog entries announcing new features being implemented, CLEARLY identify which are the result of feedbacks. Even include links to the original feedback so people can see what type of requests are actually acted on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create an interface for users to see ALL implemented and Working on feedbacks

People don't believe that feedbacks are acted on. Some of the web interfaces list 2 or 3 recently implemented, but that is not enough.

Create a link so users can see ALL feedbacks you claim have been implemented for the application.

Create a link so users can see ALL feedbacks that claim are being worked on.

Make it easier for users to see you are listening and acting on their feedback

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. customize ribbon: unlock default groups to allow users to add buttons

Default groups on the ribbon are locked.

If we go to the bother of recreating the group so we can add more commands that logically belong in the group, the recreation does not lay out the same!

Unlock the default groups so we can add new buttons that logically belong there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 464 465
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base