Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Autosave sucks

Change Autosave, so not every letter gets saved instandly and your PC doesn't know how 2 write bc its behind in typing or doesn't type at all because everthing must be saved instandly. Make it that every Minute everything saves or let us control when it gets to be autosaved. I rage everytime when i write something on online Word that has more than six pages. As soon as my Wifi gets a lil bit ineffectiv bc of rain outside or idk what, i cannot write casually on online Word for students.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. You need to make subsequent references to footnote/end note show the same hover tooltip -in case objective is to point to the first endnote

You need to make subsequent references to footnote/end note show the same hover tooltip -in case objective is to point to the first endnote

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Please add APA 7th edition!

The citation feature in Microsoft word needs updating as soon as possible as its now outdated! please fix this.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Adding option to extract specific pages from large .doc document to .doc, not .pdf only

sometimes we want to extract or save as some specific pages from the .doc file into another .doc file and there is no option to do that except you drag from the start of the page till it end and select it with mouse then copy it and past in a new document, but if there some shapes and tables … etc, it become more difficult and took time so I hope there will be option to do that easily and quickly.

Greetings

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Adding option to extract specific pages from large .doc document to .doc, not .pdf only

sometimes we want to extract or save as some specific pages from the .doc file into another .doc file and there is no option to do that except you drag from the start of the page till it end and select it with mouse then copy it and past in a new document, but if there some shapes and tables … etc, it become more difficult and took time so I hope there will be option to do that easily and quickly.

Greetings

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. QuickBooks won't open

The QuickBooks won't open error is caused by a faulty QuickBooks Desktop installation and a damaged operating system. It is not a significant issue; you can quickly handle it.
    This mistake can be caused by a variety of factors.
    Read here: https://qbtoolhub.com/quickbooks-wont-open/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. OST to PST Software

I recommend that you get the free eSoftTools most fantastic tools, which can convert corrupted, damaged, and inaccessible OST files into dependable PST format. The OST to PST Software is another successful and reliable application for recovering OST to PST, EML, Gmail, EMLX, Zimbra, HTML, ICS, and a variety of other file formats, as well as email, attachments, contacts, schedule, chats, notes, documents, and other data. It offers a free trial version that allows you to convert OST File data but only saves 25 emails in each format. As a result, you must try this software and obtain important data.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Free Exchange EDB Converter

Free Exchange EDB Converter program that effectively converts EDB file data into PST Outlook file is available for download. Convert Exchange mailbox to PST Outlook, EML, MSG, HTML, EMLX, and more formats with eSoftTools Exchange EDB to PST Converter program. it can securely convert Exchange EDB to PST Outlook, as well as divide huge PST files up to 5GB.

Get More Here:- eSoftTools Free Exchange EDB Converter

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable Similarity Checker Tool for non-Educational Subscriptions.

Many people when compose articles, dissertations, papers, and other stuff want to check if their work is 100% unique. Similarity checker online tools are not trustful at all, and there is such tool for Educational subscriptions. Since a lot of users cannot have such a subscription, i think that it would be great if subscriptions for personal use could have it as well.
    In my case, i really need it as soon as possible and i would like to consider such opening for this tool!

Thanks and regards

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Autocorrect in Word

What stroke of insanity possessed someone at Microsoft to remove the autocorrect function from Word? Word 365 was working just fine, with autocorrect, until I allowed Editor in on the game. It disabled autocorrect. I am a technical/science writer with an enormous custom dictionary, which I can no longer add to! Editor comes up with a pathetic choice of words, which is useless. Do you realise how much time this is costing me? Not to mention the SIX HOURS I have spent this week with two Level 1 techs, two Level 2 techs, and finally a Level 3 tech who…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show the documentation for options when you press F1

Word has a lot of options. When you press F1 to get help, or click the ? in the dialog box title bar, you should receive an item-by-item description of exactly what each option does.

i.e. like this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-advanced-editing-options-a861312b-b05d-421a-b5c8-9f2c6b65e751?ocmsassetid=ha010208748&ctt=1&correlationid=477eacee-3056-4358-994b-e950c9155800&ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

and not like this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/word-options-advanced-1b3d9436-bc3a-4c5d-a55f-17450e701663?ns=winword&version=90&syslcid=1033&uilcid=1033&appver=zwd900&helpid=95276&ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

This should also be local, for those users who aren't permanently connected to the internet, or who don't wish to burn metered data reading the manual for a locally-installed app.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. APA style report (7th edition)

update the APA style report (6th edition) as it is now out of date, and convert it to the 7th edition.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. add APA 7th edition template

There should be an update for APA 7th edition that came out last year. This update is highly needed for nursing students in college and university. The lack of availability is costing students marks for improper formatting. for the amount of money us students spend, please do the update.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please bring back old comment-style. The new "online version" of the comments is unusable in real life! Thank you

There are too many problems to list, but let's try:

• Scrolling hides comments
    • Comments can't be found easily
    • Comments need to be actively looked for with the (too little) icon
    • Text in comments can't be formatted
    • No numbering etc. possible in comments
    • No cross references possible in comments
    • etc.

Please, PLEASE, bring back the old comment-style or DRASTICALLY improve the new one. Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Profanity Filter off Switch

Allow users to choose to turn off your 'profanity filter' I have no desire to write filth and I appreciate your intention but as I teach counselling there are times I have no choice but to write to my students about how to deal with victims of **** or how to deal with ****** problems but this type of word brings up ***** which is really frustrating

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Desperately need APA 7th edition style references for college. Please change it from 6th edition style ASAP.

Desperately need APA 7th edition style references for college. Please change it from 6th edition style ASAP.

I really appreciated using the APA 6th edition style references for my papers. It saves sooo much time and nit picking entries for many references from so many different sources.

Now that APA has made the 7th edition, all the professors want APA 7th edition reference pages.

It is an unbelievable hassle to redo every reference. I have to keep referring to the APA website to figure out what little changes need to be made here and there. It is such a waste…

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Translating English to Chinese language, there could be several meanings of the English words.

The translated simplified Chinese frequently reflects this fact, but the translated traditional Chinese in Word 2019 gives only one translation, which may/may not fit the context. Word 2003 and Word 2010 did provide several meanings. Is it possible for Microsoft to provide several alternatives, as shown in English-traditional Chinese dictionaries.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. How about correcting the comma et al error? (Name, et al. Date)

According to the chats, Microsoft has known about the formatting error in Word's references list since at lest 2007. But nothing has been done to correct it. At least with APA style, any truncated list of names appears as (NAME, et al., date). How hard can it be for Microsoft to insert a patch that corrects this to (Name, Name, Name et al., date), with no comma between the last name and the "et al."? If I am to retain the hyperlinks to the references, I will note that this repeated formatting error is due to Microsoft.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Features needed: person changer • tense changer • better outline feature

To Microsoft:
    Add features! I need:
    • a person changer, to automatically change from first person (I) to third person (he/she).
    • a tense changer to toggle passages/manuscripts from present to past tense.
    • I need a better outline feature that can show storyboard and linear views.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. How do you clean your car?

Hello everyone, there are many tools and detergents for cleaning a car. What is the most effective way?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base