Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Paragraph with attached Frame fails to honor "keep with next"

This is required for legal documents that use sideheads, which are also sometimes called marginalia.

This used to work in Word 2002/ XP.

A text paragraph with attached "legal sidehead" or "marginalia" Text Frame, fails to honor "keep with next" paragraph setting, that is, the marginalia/ legal sidehead paragraph does not flow to next page, with the paragraph that follows it and when it is anchored to that following paragraph.

See detailed description of how to reproduce this bug, here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeword-msoother/word-2016-legal-sidehead-style-does-not-keep-with/21db2b19-249a-437b-85a5-bae532c9f5c2

I discussed this with Doug Robbins (
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/5846a56b-3e92-46d7-b5bf-4f65922e1f56
    ) in offlist emails with simple test files, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please make the resume reading popup accessible with screen readrs like NVDA.

I am a visually impaired person. I use screen readers to use PC. I really like the idea of resume reading popup but it is not accessible with screen readers like NVDA. Please make it accessible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. IMPORTANT about tables

I have lots of very complex tables. For some unknown reason when I read the document in some of these tables are changed. I don't know why but I suspect that it would be hard for me to correct this. IDEA: have a style or something that can be applied to a selection that says "Do not change this." Obviously this "locked" facility can be set or unset. If part of the doc is locked it should be indicated somehow. Graphics programs often have this and it's very valuable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. separate display enables for Section Breaks

Right now you get either the section breaks and the indexes, etc., or none. It would greatly help layout of a large complex document if I could see the breaks without all the other stuff.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Find is not well implemented

First, you can't copy text inside a field and search on it.
    Second, sometimes find and replace or advanced find will not find somethinig that is clearly there, which usually regular find will find.
    Third, the advanced find window should show how many items remain, and it should be able to go backwards in the file. In other words, advanced find should have every feature that regular find does.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. In Read Mode, right clicking text with hyperlink should bring up the link options

Just like in Print Layout, and Web Layout modes, in Read Mode too, I would like the ability to right click a piece of text that has a hyperlink, and copy the link.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Top-right red cross-click must step back to the folder you started with and not quit Word altogether.

When you open your Word folders list and browse for a document but you're not sure if it's the one you want, you open the document to check it. But whoops: it's not the document you're looking for. You now click on the top-right red cross to go back to the folders list again and browse.
    Instead Word shuts down altogether and you have to restart and work yourself through your lists of folders to revisit the folder you started out from. And that's gr@#%mpf annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add the ability to up-vote selections

It would be awesome if you could up-vote comments or selected text as part of document review.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Assistance with exporting a specific word document into a PDF loses color

It's specific to one file. I spoke with multiple techs on online chat and through the phone. No one was able to resolve the problem. The last tech said my only option was here -- user voice. How does one get help for file specific problems?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Caption reference should include strict label of specified format only

Caption references should follow a specified reference format that does not include any of the surrounding text by the caption itself.
    This would fix the following:
    1) Sometimes references to captions pick up text that comes before on the same line, or on the previous line(s) (sometimes the picture before the figure caption). This wouldn't happen if the reference format was strictly followed. This would also aid in allowing more flexibility with captions that are on the same line after the text it is referring to, like equation numbers. For example the equation reference format could be "(#)" and the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Siete imbarazzanti!!!!

Gdoc funziona 10000 volte meglio

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Better custom dictionary adding

I would like word to be smarter, as when you add a custom word (i.e. Waltjarnmirri), any additions, like Waltjarnmirri's, is still wrong.

This is pretty annoying, and does not seem right that it doesn't recognise a word when you add stuff to it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add a "push to device" feature

It would be great to open a document on one device, such as my Android (or iOS, for others) device or PC, then be able to push it to another device and have it open and ready to use immediately. This would be great when moving between meetings or locations.

For instance, when I am out to lunch and receive an email with an attached document, I might open the document to look at it a bit, but would like to focus on it more when I get back to the office. If I could hit a "push to device"…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Get rid of conflicting options

Too many automated options that are all over the HMI. One place, one method to turn on/off. I spend hours undoing automated options that I never turned on. Example: "Show field codes instead of their values" There is an option to do this for each field code...why the global option on the Advanced Options tab...conflicts with local option and is hard to find and turn off.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. arrow

Curved arrows.

The existing tool for making curved arrows (Shapes toolbar) in Word /Powerpoint is awful. Why is it a squiggle and not an arc?

I would prefer to paste in an arrow that has a perfect arc and then click and drag a point in the center of the arrow to either increase or decrease the amount of arc (ChemDraw has a nice design).

It would be nice to also change the head (size, degree of point, line or solid triangle point), line thickness, line style (bold, dash, dotted), and to rotate/flip the arrow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Format WordSpacing

I would suggest a new Button for changing WordSpacing in normal Text. This Button exists for WordArt (WordArtSpacingMenu). I wish there was a format button to quickly change spacing in a normal text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Keyboard style sheet entry needs to not fail on autocomplete

When using the keyboard to set a style (ctl-shift-s), typing in the full style name empties the completion box instead of allowing me to select the style.

For example, I have a style called "Code." I select something (code, presumably) and hit ctl-shift-S, then type in "Code" -- and the box clears. if I only type in "Cod" - no E - the style is there and I can hit enter to select it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. It seems as Word 13 is not supporting Custom print for Book Fold document format.

I use Windows 7 and Word13. Trying to print a range of pages from “Book fold” document, but when I click on drop-down on Print All Pages, the Custom Print option is dimmed. Also not allowed to type in Pages line. Only All pages print allowed, but the document is huge and I need only part of it. My document has no section breaks and page numbers start from first page with number 1 and so on up to the last page.
    Now it is extremely inconvenient. It was no problem in Word 7, I used it very often and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Right mouse click function loss is annoying!

Restore right click functionality! Cutting and pasting is now annoying! Why would you remove this?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base