Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ur fat! ;)

Irish Name: Cill Dara, meaning "church of the oak"
    Nickname: The Lilywhites, The Short Grass County, The Thoroughbred County

Population: 210,312

Area: 654 square mile
    Province: Leinster
    County Town: Naas
    GAA Colors: White
    Coat of Arms:

Motto: Meanma agus Misneach (Irish)
    "Spirit and Courage"

History
    Kildare took its name from a church built by St. Brigid under an oak tree in the 5th century. The church grew into the religious establishment/monastery “Cill Dara”.
    Every year there is a festival in Kildare Town, on St. Brigid’s Day (1st Feburary).
    The monastery survived several attacks by the Vikings during the 9th century…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a calculater in Microsoft word, Since the equation feature already exist

I'm an Engineer, my major requires a lot of reports and calculations. I think it will save time if while writing my equation in the report with actual numbers it will be automatically calculated instead of calculating it again either manually or with excel. I think the idea is simple but will have a great response and save time for students and other users.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make comment balloons more distinct visually by applying one color per editor and a border

For those of us that review, edit and comment upon documents, it would be better if we could more easily distinguish who is the author of the comments. Please color-code each user so that you can quickly see a particular person's comments. Also, put the comment balloons or bubbles in an outline so that you can distinguish one comment from another. This might sound familiar to those who have used Word 2010, because it had this wonderful and useful feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Kumyk spelling dictionary (Latin alphabet) / Qumuqça tüzyazıw sözlügü (Latin alipbada)

Let's promote creation of Kumyk spelling dictionary (Latin alphabet) available for download from Microsoft official resources. Let's make Kumyk lingua franca again! / Qumuqça tüzyazıw sözlüknü (Latin alipbada) etsin uçun wa onu Microsoftnu resmi resurslarından yüklep bolağan küyde salsın uçun ses bereyik! Qumuqçanı yañıdan orta til eteyik!

10,483 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

143 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Choose a default folder for Saving

I download many students' Word files from the internet, work on them, then save to my PC. It is not possible to resave to the original source.

I therefore want to identify a folder that is the default for saving. Acrobat Reader does this as standard - it shows the last folder used together with a number of previously chosen folders.
    Why can't Word do that? Each time, I have to go to the folder address, copy it to the save box address, then choose the file name. What a unnecesary performance!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support Windows 10 "Apps for Websites" feature

Currently, Office apps do not play well with the Windows 10 "Apps for Websites" feature. (Settings > Apps and Features > Apps for Websites).

How Apps for Websites works: A company registers a known URL with Windows, and those URL's are directed through the app before being passed to the browser. Many companies have a universal "finder" url that allows a resource to be located by ID. (e.g. www.mystore.com/finder?product=1234) In a browser, the finder code locates the final web page and redirects. (e.g. www.mystore.com/products/some-fancy-item) When Apps for Websites is enabled, the app can intercept the finder link and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Transcription on Word

I see that Word now has a transcription function. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/transcribe-your-recordings-7fc2efec-245e-45f0-b053-2a97531ecf57.
    But it is available only on Word for the web. It would be good to have it included in my desktop version.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Dictation in Word 365

Provide a Dictation shortcut in word 365 and automatic on/off dictation mode when using a headset (listening mode).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please update MS Word Citations & Bibliography to support APA 7th Edition

The tools found in the Citations & Bibliography panel are used by students in colleges and universities extensively. Students have little time to learn and build code to address this issue. Please upgrade or provide a patch to update MS Word to support APA Seventh Edition. Please!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Toggle profanity filter for dictation

I'm a fiction writer. Constantly having asterisks instead of the word I dictated because Word randomly deems that word inappropriate is frustrating and forcing me to go manually write it. It's all the more aggravating when I dictate something like "a chicken breast with fries" and it writes "a piece of chicken #### with fries". I mean come on...

It's even worse in French with a greater number of perfectly innocent words (like "poursuite" meaning "pursuit") that I cannot even begin to fathom what makes them get flagged as vulgar.

Dictation in Word isn't a chat that needs stricter monitoring…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. change document name while working on document

I don't see why this simple feature is not already available. I accidentally named a document number 3 instead of 4, and the only way to change it is to find the file name on the desktop and edit it there. This should be editable within the document

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. TURN OFF THE PROFANITY FILTER ON THE MICROSOFT WORD VOICE DICTATION FEATURE

I would like the option, as a free thinking adult, to turn off the profanity filter in Microsoft Word Voice dictation feature. I work in a treatment program where patients need to be able to express themselves. Also, some of the filters are silly, for instance the following sentence was changed from:

"The painting of a naked women was done in the ......."

to:

"The painting of a was done in the ......."

Who decides what is profanity?
    Please allow the user to turn this feature off. Do not decide for me what is profane.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The Word editor does not check for matching quote marks.

If a sentence starts with a quote mark but there is no closing mark, the editor will not catch it. This is a problem for authors who use a lot of quotes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Office Themes settings

Windows can put Office themes (dark or light) depending on system settings (dark or light mode) or depending on what hour. Example: From 7:00 am - 6:30pm in light mode aka. colorful theme. And Dark mode aka. Grey from 6:30pm-7:00am. This is for minor battery consumption and less eyestrain in the night.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Expand/Collapse Heading elimination

This is apparently a new feature that is very annoying. If someone hits one of those little triangles and then prints the document they miss a whole lot of the document. We print legal documents and have on several occasions missed various paragraphs. This has put us into a real legal conundrum. PLEASE ELIMINATE THIS DUMB FEATURE.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. please either remove or, at a minimum, provide an option to turn o the expand/collapse 'feature' in Word styles with Expand/Collapse.

Here's a great new idea! Do what most users are asking for in the messages below. Remove the expand/collapse feature (UGH - feature implies something positive or acceptable - 'expand/collapse' is none of that!!!). At a minimum, provide the option to turn it off!! Also, allow users to turn off auto numbering, the automatic appearance of the paragraph icons, and any other auto feature. We can make our own decisions without features and in less time than it takes for the auto features to disappear so we can continue. Very, VERY Frustrating!!!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base