Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. Option to remove timestamps from comments & track changes but not remove author name

Editors the world over are looking for a way to remove all timestamps from comments & track changes but not remove the comment & track changes author name. The timestamps are read-only, so cannot be changed with a macro, but can only be changed by going into the Word .zip file and running a Find & Replace. This could be a property that could be locked with a password at the document creator's discretion.

127 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. User-friendly pagination

Hello, Microsoft Community,

I'm a student and a couple of times we write coursework, diploma and so on. Of course we use Microsoft Word for it. And you know, one of the requirements of this type of work is pagination which is usually used in the footer of pages.
    But there are 2 typical additional requirements for it:
    1)Title page (first page) shouldn't have pagination (number 1). It's not difficult, every student can find the option "Different first page". Thanks a lot for it.
    2)We usually have 1-2 pages with description of the task for diploma, coursework which also should't…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add APA 7th Edition

With the release of the 7th Edition of the APA Publication manual, this style needs to be reflected in Word for use in references, citations, and the reference list as well as a document template.

216 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Upgrade of Mail Merge

Mail merge is in desperate need of an upgrade. I would ideally like to see the following features added in the near future.

1. Multiple recipients support including CC and BCC.

2. Subject line can contain merge fields

3. Support for office files or PDFs to be merged and sent to the recipient(s) as attachments.

4. Further integration with OneDrive and SharePoint.

5. If there are multiple email in Outlook, the ability to choose when merging which email address the emails are sent from.

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add the ability to publish workgroup/organization templates on Office 365.

The current configuration only allows a local path or a server share. In a cloud first world, this is an outdated method.

There should be a function to publish workgroup and organization templates to users from an Office 365 cloud location. This function should allow the Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) on the desktop AND the Office applications online to both have access to the Organization's templates. Especially with users more distant now due to COVID this functionality is needed.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Beeline Reader

Please offer the Beeline Reader format on MS Word. Having this available on Word would be a great help for students and professionals who have to read long documents on a daily basis. Beeline also really helps people with disabilities like dyslexia that make reading very difficult.

If the United Nations and Stanford have seen fit to honor Beeline, perhaps it's time for MS to make this available in Word? In the meantime, I'll just keep uploading my Word docs to Google Docs, where I can read them in BeeLine format...wish I could do it in Word though!

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Re speech recognition dictation in Word: No way to adjust time dictation is available. Shuts off after only 15 seconds.

Preference needed to adjust time dictation is available before shutting off. Also, keyboard keystroke combination or single key needed to reactivate dictation mode in Word and elsewhere.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Avar spelling dictionary

Let's create a spelling dictionary in Avar language that would be available for download from Microsoft's official resources.

19,165 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

386 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Highlight colors

I enjoy the extensive color pallet for both the text and highlighting options offered in Excel, and the same pallet is offered for text written in Word.
    I am disappointed by the limited highlighting shades. May I have more highlighting color options for Word? It would be wonderful to have the same, extensive pallet for highlighting as for the text.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. APA Format Upgrade

I am in school and my professor expects my paper in APA Seventh Edition. Word is offering APA 6th Edition. Can I find the upgrade to place in my Word program?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add APA 7th Edition

APA published its 7th edition last year. However, the reference functionality, as well as the APA template on your website, have not been modified to correspond to the new changes. There are numerous students in universities across this country and around the world who rely on Word's reference functionality to keep track of references when conducting necessary research aimed at helping humanity. As numerous individuals have reported this, it is imperative the Microsoft address this issue as soon as possible.

It appears the report rate for this topic is minimal, but there are hundreds of thousands of students who need…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Desperately need APA 7th edition style references for college. Please change it from 6th edition style ASAP.

Desperately need APA 7th edition style references for college. Please change it from 6th edition style ASAP.

I really appreciated using the APA 6th edition style references for my papers. It saves sooo much time and nit picking entries for many references from so many different sources.

Now that APA has made the 7th edition, all the professors want APA 7th edition reference pages.

It is an unbelievable hassle to redo every reference. I have to keep referring to the APA website to figure out what little changes need to be made here and there. It is such a waste…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. APA 7th Update Needed ASAP

Hello Community,

Microsoft Word needs to update to 7th edition APA ASAP. We all pay an annual fee to have access to your services and such and expect that you will update accordingly to the standards as they are updated. APA 7th edition came out nearly a year from this post. Please update accordingly!!!!!!!!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Application.Version since 2016 shows always 16.0!

Since Word Version 2016, VBA always delivers 16.0 when querying the version. Why can you no longer distinguish Word 2019 or 365 from version 2016? This creates problems in controlling the macros for our customers. We need to know which version is installed in order to control our program properly.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Word embedding issue

After installing latest Office updates, I noticed that Word embedding feature is broken. Embedded file icons are not correct, but kind of generic ones. Problem can re-produced this way: open Word > Insert > Object > Create from File > Browse any file (pdf, excel...) > Display as Icon. Icon is not what it should be. It shows generic icon, not the real icon. My Word version is 2007 (Build 13029.20236 Click-to-Run).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. APA 7th Edition required now for university, can this be updated in MS Word?

APA 7th Edition required now for university, can this be updated in MS Word?

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Adding a feature with "Comments" to assign its severity (for easy auditing, measuring a KPI and priority actioning purposes)

This is with regard to the “Comments” feature which is greatly used for communicating feedback or suggestion on a selected content of a document. People in my organisation are coming up with various tools to manually record the severity of comments made in a document by a reviewer. The level of errors and severity of comments form a KPI for originators of the documents, but there lies an ambiguity (as well as subjectivity) in classifying the review comments under various degrees like minor, medium, moderate and major. Ideally the reviewer should be given a choice at the time of posting…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Prevent the color of tracking changes in Word from changing automatically

It would be great if you could prevent the color of tracking changes in Word from changing automatically.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 437 438
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base