Feedback by UserVoice

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Word for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Word for Windows (Desktop Application)? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Avar spelling dictionary

Let's create a spelling dictionary in Avar language that would be available for download from Microsoft's official resources.

19,073 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

373 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Chechen spelling dictionary

It would be great to have Chechen spelling dictionary available for download from Microsoft official resources.

12,511 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2200 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

62 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Convert PDF to Word Documents Built In

Make it Work as Well as Abode PDF Converter

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Font Management

When I use word, there are 3 million fonts that I NEVER use and hiding them in fonts settings does not remove them from their listing so I have to scroll through this obscenely long list every time I want to change fonts. At the very least they should allow one to prioritize certain fonts so that they are at the top of the list -- sort of like recently used fonts except that it would list fonts that I have not recently used but are among my preferred fonts. It would be nice if they could have a two…

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The "New Version on Server" message is confusing to those used to Track Changes verbiage

Several users familiar with Track Changes functionality in MS Word (all versions) are having trouble with the wording of the "A newer version of the file is available on the server" "Discard Changes" button when opening a file from Teams

At issue is the expected behavior of a Word document and the resolution of warning messages.

Our researchers will verify that the latest version of the file in question is available on Teams via Word Online and then open the file in Word (Open in Word) using the Teams interface.

When the file opens, whether in Word 2016 or Word…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Spell Check no longer limits itself to selected (highlighted) text

A recent update changed Spell Check to something almost unrecognizable. Specifically, the ability to spell check selected parts of the document were lost. I don't know if I am missing something or not, but the practice of installing updates unexpectedly and without permission should stop.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Autoscroll as you type!

As a career typist I am continually frustrated that as I type my text goes lower and lower on the page, instead of scrolling automatically so that my typing is always near the top of the page. My transcriptionist friends agree! This is terrible for our ergonomics, not to mention just plain annoying, to either always have our text at the bottom of the screen, sometimes only half visible, or else having to stop and scroll the whole page up. THIS NEEDS CHANGING URGENTLY!

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bug Word custom UI ribbon no longer loading when Word is launched with Automation since Update 1901

After the Word 1901 11231.20174 Update was introduced our custom Add-in template and many others I've tried while investigating are failing to be displayed when Word is launched by Automation. (Still not working on 1902 11328.20146)

Launching word normally from the start menu shortcut or by running winword allows the ribbon to be displayed OK, However when word is launched programmatically and is run with the Winword.exe /Automation -Embedding parameters the add-in is not displayed.

Checking the Developer -> Document Template "Templates and Add-ins" form the add-in is displayed and is checked "Checked Items are currently loaded." but it's not…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. A True Dark Theme

Microsoft has done a good job creating a nice dark theme for Windows 10, but the Dark Grey and Black themes in Office are just bad. They change a few elements but leave so much blinding white that it hurts my eyes. The icons get lost as well. Please make a true dark theme for Office. Also a dark colorful app would be great.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Give a list of Firewall exceptions for Office Online Help

Would it be possible to have a list referencing the exceptions to be made on a firewall in order to access help from Microsoft Office products (when we press F1 for example)?

For example, we do exams for our students and cut Internet access, but they must still be able to access the help of the product that they use.

Since Microsoft's position is clear and it no longer wants offline help, would it be possible to give us the opportunity to configure access online help?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Go back to the original spelling and grammar check for Word documents.

Please return to the original spelling and grammar check for Word documents. The automatic update now says "Check document," adds the number of spelling and grammar errors, won't check only a highlighted section, and requires separate steps to check spelling and grammar. It is difficult to use and time consuming. The spelling and grammar check that was in Word remains in Outlook for email. Please go back to that method for Word documents. This is a very bad upgrade and makes me question using Office 365.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Return Styles Pane to 2013-2007 settings - spacing and multipule columns

1. The Styles Pane has been changed to have increased spacing between styles even when not showing a preview of the styles. This decreases the number of styles that can be displayed. If people in touch mode need this extra space, make it a part of the touch mode/mouse mode option.

2. In all previous ribbon versions, the Styles Pane could be set to have multiple columns, up to four columns. Now if it is expanded, it is simply a wider single column. This also cuts back on the utility of this tool.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Word 2016 fix the bug in the pdf/A export filter confirmed by professional support

we must deliver word documents to an authority in pdf/a format. Our documents are successfully converted with Office 2010. Doing that with Office2016 leads to an pdf that is not conform to the standard. You an check this with the verapdf.com Tool. The authority validates the document's format and rejects it. MS professional support confirms that this is an error in Office 2013 and Office 2016. Ticket SR 118101119211952 Emilio Jose Piñeiro Lameiro helped me with this Ticket and allowed me to name him. Please correct this bug in Office 2016.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Classic / legacy FileNew Dialog removed from 1903 release please restore

The classic File New dialog from the menu versions has been available as a QAT and keyboard shortcut option until this release. Now, attempting to use it crashes Word.

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fileNew.htm

Please restore access to this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. spelling

You need to restore the previous spell-checker: the overly-involved editor is a headache we neither asked for nor need. See (and it is not my fault the URL is horrible): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-mso_365hp/how-to-enable-old-style-spell-checking-in-word/671f6094-7b3f-4c5b-9a69-684db9dd7be2?messageId=8d8f1653-059c-4129-94dd-a62499b906be

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Disable grammar checking, period

I don't want to disable grammar checking while I type. I want to disable grammar checking all the time, forever, because it's incapable of accurately parsing my technical writing anyway. But apparently, on Office 365, I can't do that.

There's no reason on God's green earth to force me to deal with useless grammar checking every time I spellcheck. It's an extra click I don't need, and it slows down the check.

This is typical Microsoft: "There's a feature no one uses. It must be because people don't know about it. So let's make it mandatory!"

Perhaps the reason no…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Restore the draft view icon to the status bar.

Could the Draft View icon be restored to the status bar.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Making the Highlighter colors lighter so that you can see the text behind it.

Making the Highlighter colors lighter so that you can see the text behind it.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 297 298
  • Don't see your idea?

Word for Windows (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base