Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Add Track Changes to Word Online

This would be one of the most common ways you'd want to collaborate on a document. It is the equivalent of Google doc's "suggesting" mode and without it our organisation would find it extremely difficult to take the plunge and jump ships.

462 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the most important features needed. Especially if you want to work cross-platform and Word is not available for some platforms.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely essential -- without this, Word Online is virtually useless as a collaborative authoring environment.

Ditto to all of the other comments. In order to be truly collaborative (across Microsoft Teams/OneNote/etc.) this function needs to work the same whether viewing online or in the app.

• Megan Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this isn't actually a function already. This is absolutely critical for any collaborative document development.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't stress enough the importance of a having an online collaborative space where tracking changes are easily visible and can be accessed online. This is a must

It's the only real reason to actually use "Word" at all!
        Also, not everybody have MS Word installed on their computer..

• Dennis Peperkamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to share, edit on the go (e.g. online) is really useful for me and many of my contacts. Not being able to see the changes we make on a document is a bit annoying, especially since we know that the changes are kept and marked in the background.
        Having to open the document in an app is a step that should be optional, not required.
        On top of this, it is funny to see how the track changes seems fully functional in the Android app for Word. (at least the changes are marked immediately)

• Michael Schutz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a theory (and it is only that) that Microsoft isn't adding this to the online version because it's essentially the free version, and they want us to pay for the desktop version where the feature is fully available. Since the online version is already actually doing the change tracking (if that's been turned on in the document through the desktop version) but simply not displaying it, it can't be that difficult, technically-speaking, to implement the full feature. Three years down the road suggests to me a business decision, not a technical one. Microsoft, will you comment on this and let us know one way or the other so that we can make the decisions we need to make on which software to use for collaboration?

This is the top reason for me that GDocs collaboration works and 0365 collaboration does not. Being able to review suggestions/edits and then accept/reject is critical.

Please, please, please for the love of collaborative work, make the Track Changes feature mirror the desktop version. It's crucial to our work to be able to see who suggested which changes and to be able to see text edits. This is very much needed to be a viable, useful program. Please add this very soon.

Allow users to turn on/off and see tracked changes within word online. This is an important feature and should not be limited to the desktop version.

And show the changes while interacting with the document. Don't just record them behind the scenes.

When collaborating, it is necessary to see who made what specific changes. Using track changes the author can accept, reject or follow up with collaborators for more information. This is a VERY much needed function. Hope this can be added very soon.

• Sarah P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need option for track changes!!! must be able to see who added what, and be able to accept or reject the content accordingly.

• Mr Angry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable tracked changes. That's it.

We all know why you don't. It's a dark pattern to force purchases.

I only use Word because my clients do. It's already a deeply frustrating user experience as it is. This only makes my opinion of Microsoft worse than it already is. And that's no mean feat.

Horrible.

The whole point of an online collaborative review is to be able to see what others have added in terms of comments during a review, what they have changed, the suggestions they have made etc. You do not support Track Changes on the online version... just seems like a massive omission.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base