Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Merge Cells: Add the option to merge cells within a table

There is currently no option to merge cells within a table that has been inserted into a Word document in the online version of Word. Can this option please be included?

160 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Higgsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so frustrating - have to use this as University course and access easily for tutors. No merge!!!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much wanted feature indeed, especially split cell! To be fair in Google docs you can merge cells, but you cannot split :/

can't believe I can't merge cells. Such a basic requirement Have just started using Word online as that is what my work uses. Arrgh - I want to go back to Google Docs!

• Omar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is silly - I have a 100+ staff suffering from this issue, we're having to move away from word online now because of this

Not only the option to merge cells, but also the option to add new rows with merged cells. Rather disappointing that such a basic feature does not exist and has to be requested.

• Evan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lmfao how is this possible in 2018? Microsoft this is why people literally roll their eyes when I tell them my office uses you instead of google

• Branilson Luiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely, Google is light-years ahead of Microsoft in cloud apps. Unfortunately, for work reasons, I am forced to use those garbage cloud apps from MS. Nothing in the world is so limited and has so many bugs like those MS creepy things. "Merge cells" is one of the most important things for text editing nowadays.

Wow! thought it was hidden in some menu , googled to find where. Can i register 10 votes!!
    i work for a Federation with several schools, one has asked us to use Word Online so several can edit one document, they use tables heavily - until this is fixed i'll be pointing them to google docs!

• Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, ridiculous! Why is Word Online always like eight years behind Google Docs?

• roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is so annoying why havent they added this simple action option yet! wtf?!?!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base