Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Word Online? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

Please create the option that allows to make a table of content in Word Online

41 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be great to be able to insert a table of contents, and not solely update one. it seems like a minor thing to code given that it's a feature in word and that you can update one online, so I can't imagine the logic for excluding it as a feature. even if the functionality was not as great, it would be nice to have the option.

• Dr Brevil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Table of contents manuel, automatic / voice activation
    IDK I just need it to work, it's frustrating that this does not have all of the features regular Word had. This was supposed to be better....

This command is a joke. How can you release a software product that had an entry on the ribbon that in inoperable? Please get someone who knows Word to update this deficiency.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful to be able to create a TOC in Word Online. Or add to the documentation some tips on how to go about creating your TOC once you've created the Online Word doc.

• Dr Durkee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Google Docs has the possibility to create a table of contents, and get the headings correct, it should be that Word Online can do the same. Moreover, the headings need to be reconciled with the headings in the desktop version. It would be nice to be able to copy paste between them, and have the table of contents and the headings work out correctly. It would also be good to have an update key such that the table can be updated.

• H.-Robert Matthes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a table of contents, it would be helpful to set a number of collumns that it keeps when updating the content.

It would also be very useful to be able to change the options and settings of this table after generating it, like OpenOffice does it. That can be very helpful when managing the whole thing.

• Jeroen de Koster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The paid desktop version of Word has a feature that allows you to insert a special table of contents, that can be updated by simply right-clicking and selecting the update option. Currently, when opening a doc that uses this, the table won't update, and has an odd color and formatting to it.

• iris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that we should be able to make a table of contents

• iris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

word online could improve by letting us make a table of contents

I would like to create a table of contents when working in word online and editing. It will not let me do this, only link externally out of the document. It has a heading feature, but no ability to use it effective in teh online version.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! A simple one-click button to add a TOC based on headings in the document would be very helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base